Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 06:45:58 PM

11 of them have small populations (Ros and Monaghan punching above their weight)
6 of them are hurling Counties (Tipp punching above....)
1 is London.
Tyrone, Donegal, Galway, Down, Cork have matched/beaten Kerry/Mayowestros  this decade.
That leaves Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Meath, Louth, Wicklow and Kildare.

Kildare have beat both Kerry and Mayo in the league this decade to be fair to us and would not have feared either in the championship in 2010/11. Hard to see them getting back to them levels again though given the psychological trauma regularly inflicted upon us by our wealthy neighbours.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2018, 06:56:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 30, 2018, 06:38:11 PM
Penny slowly dropping

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/its-important-we-attain-a-sense-of-a-level-playing-field-niall-moyna-calls-for-funding-change-to-halt-surge-of-dublin-36544968.html   

When the lad who gave half the Dublin panel the S&C programs that turned them from great footballers into great footballers with unrivalled fitness reckons it's gone too far it says something.

Good article and I don't know how any genuine GAA person could argue with him. A fair distribution of funding has to start immediately at the very minimum if there is any chance of inter county football surviving.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 05:16:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2018, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 11:53:45 AM
If we're going to have big powerful Dublin winning All Irelands every year due to their population and money you won't have to bother about other County teams as Inter County competition as a National sport will disappear.
You either split Dublin or you forget about County teams at All Ireland level reorganise the National representative competition into say 10 areas of about 500,000 each if you want some kind of equal competition.
Neither of those will happen so then we're left with a load of financial aid to Antrim, Louth, Kildare, Wicklow, Derry, Cork, Donegal Kerry and Mayowestros  to try and keep some of them competitive with Dublin .
As for the rest of us.....may as well take up soccer.

I doubt anyone wants football to be dominated by one team but there's no point in people complaining here repeatedly without a solution or blaming the GAA if there's nothing they can do. I don't buy the doom and gloom personally as both Kerry and Mayo are showing Dublin can be matched. The GAA should help others and let Dublin fund more of their own development but if more counties met the challenge I've no fears for the future. Kildare and Meath for a start can be much better.

When is the last time Mayo or Kerry have beaten Dublin in championship? You sure are one for the Blinkers!

Blinkers, did you see the word 'matched'? Mayo hit the post from a free to lead with minutes to go in the All Ireland final and you don't think they are matching them? By the way when was the last time Leitrim beat Mayo in the championship? Once you answer that please point me to your belly aching posts about Mayo's advantages re Leitrim?

So keeping up is enough for 2 of the chasing 31 counties to keep you happy? Is it? Lets be just there to entertain Dublin. Lets travel to their Stadium. Lets give them heaps of money because Rugby and Soccer are a threat there and no where else. Lets not ask their players and fans to move out of their comfort zone for the Championship. Lets make things as convenient for their players and fans so they don't have to spend money. Lets have a lad called Zulu to champion them online and ignore any advantages they have.

caprea

Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 30, 2018, 01:29:33 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 11:43:35 AM
Might be labelled by some here as a troll, WUM or God forbid, a Dub but I don't get this financial doping stuff. As far as I know this is basically what happened:

1. Dublin was seen as a GAA blackspot and as the major population centre of Ireland were given extra funding to address this.

Dublin was a GAA black spot was it? Second most successful county in football's history. Ok then...

So the GAA decided that won't do and decided to turn the other counties of Leinster into a real black spot where they can't win anything. That was the plan was it?

Unless you're being deliberately confrontational you know what I mean. GAA was less than optimal in Dublin and it was only right that the governing body addressed this. I doubt they envisioned the success they'd have in the capital but I'm sure they're trying to help others. Why wouldn't they?

Are you actually suggesting the GAA should not have helped make the GAA strong in the most populous part of Ireland? It would be an abdication of their role.

I'm suggesting that the Irish sports council gave Dublin GAA 5 million over 5 years so the GAA didn't have to come in with financial doping. Dublin got their leg up in the years before 2010. It wasnt fair but it was done so when the GAA are still giving development funding in 2015 and 2016 of 2.5mn and 2.77 million euro a year then it has gone from a leg up to outright financial doping. Take your head out of the sand please.

On a wider point people go on about the sponsorship money like its Dublin's edge on everyone else financially. It is not, Dublin's edge financially is the development grants it gets, far more than the sponsorship. People really don't understand how much Dublin gets from the GAA.

Rossfan

Whatever about Zulu championing them on a forum like this but when you have the National GAA's Chief sounding like he's the Dublin Secretary in his vehement support of the Dublin monster it's time to call a halt.
Only the GAA officers of the other 31 Counties can do that in practice.
Over to ye lads and lassies.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Penny slowly dropping

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/its-important-we-attain-a-sense-of-a-level-playing-field-niall-moyna-calls-for-funding-change-to-halt-surge-of-dublin-36544968.html   

Very slowly, he says dublin might not be the minor or under 21 champions at the moment......they are champion in both...Leinster in minors and Leinster and ireland in under 21..

mayoman dan

Lads maybe a bit off topic but can someone tell me will Dublin get to play their home and neutral super 8 games at croke park??? Ive been getting a lot of conflicting answers on this the past few days. Thanks

Blowitupref

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 30, 2018, 07:48:35 PM
Lads maybe a bit off topic but can someone tell me will Dublin get to play their home and neutral super 8 games at croke park??? Ive been getting a lot of conflicting answers on this the past few days. Thanks
Both in Croke Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mayoman dan

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 30, 2018, 07:51:36 PM
Both in Croke Park.

And how is that fair??? Ive no problem with some of the advantages Dublin have but thats blatant favouritism toward one team above another

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayoman dan on January 30, 2018, 07:54:23 PM
Both in Croke Park.

And how is that fair??? Ive no problem with some of the advantages Dublin have but thats blatant favouritism toward one team above another

Fair has nothing to do with it when it comes to Dublin. They'll get to play all three if their away game is v Mayo! :(

Lar Naparka

Penny slowly dropping

There are only three inevitability in life; death, taxes and the division of Dublin.
Going by the '16 census, 28% of the state's population are based in Dublin. During his time as the minister for housing, Simon Coveney said in a Newstalk interview that 40% of the people and 50% of the country's resources are located in the Greater Dublin Area. He also said that half the population would be living there by 2040.
There is no universal definition of what the Greater Dublin Area means but one of Fianna Fáil's long term goals was to have an outer ring road stretching from Drogheda through Navan, Naas and onto Bray or Greystones. (Can't recall which of them.)
Apart from the motorway, the area enclosed would be designated as an enhanced growth region. From what I could make of that and Bertie  could confuse his own mother, never mind a holy innocent like me, that meant commercial and residential development would be concentrated in this area and in other, smaller growth areas in other parts such as Cork and other larger towns.
It's reasonable to assume that Simon Coveney had the same region in mind when speaking on Newstalk. So Dublin is at the center of a relatively small region of the country and both resources and population percentages can be expected to rise at a greater rate there than in the rest of the GDA.
It's quite reasonable to assume that by 2040 over 40% of the population will reside in Dublin.
In GAA terms that means there will be only one team to represent that number of people.
Meanwhile life is getting harder for those who live in rural areas in counties along the west coast. Rural depopulation is a feature of life in Mayo, Kerry, Galway  and the others there.
Right now, as Rossfan pointed out, Dublin has twice the population of the entire province of Connacht and the imbalance is accelerating all the while.
You needn't need a degree in rocket science to figure out that what Niall Moyna says has to be true.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayoman dan

[/quote]
Both in Croke Park.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair has nothing to do with it when it comes to Dublin. They'll get to play all three if their away game is v Mayo! :(
[/quote]

Thats complete and utter bullshite.Its like Man utd playing all their big games at old trafford.

Rossfan

Good post by Lar
2016 Census - the 11 "little" Counties (est. 35,000 Nat pop in Fermanagh) have a population of 740k. (4.5k per 1st team player)
Dublin 1,339,359. (89k per 1st team player).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Both in Croke Park.

Super 8 brought in to make up for the money HQ were losing on the ever decreasing All Ireland Quarter finals attendances. Two of Dublins Super 8 games will be played in Croke Park because they will be sell out and will create the most money for HQ

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 30, 2018, 08:47:53 PM
Both in Croke Park.

Super 8 brought in to make up for the money HQ were losing on the ever decreasing All Ireland Quarter finals attendances. Two of Dublins Super 8 games will be played in Croke Park because they will be sell out and will create the most money for HQ

It's about getting more games, more revenue, and Dublin having more than one or two challenges a year!

The rest is waffle to keep the lesser lights quiet!