Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Dublin won the All Ireland by a point yesterday after looking for much of the game as though they would lose it. So your congratulations and best wishes lads are much appreciated.

The winning point was scored by Dean Rock the son of an All Ireland winner. The RTÉ man of the match was James McCarthy the son of another All Ireland winner. Now there's no way these lads would be playing Gaelic Football if it wasn't for the money.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 18, 2017, 03:06:20 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 18, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
Dublin winning four recent All Ireland titles by the minimum margin doesn't strike me as an enormous gap fuelled by money.
Nor me. And if the difference between teams was based on cash spent on development, how come Kerry have won the last four Minor titles and not Dublin.  Thats where the coaching money should be seen first if it really is a factor.

This is utter nonsense in the face of Dublin winning so many underage Leinsters and AIs in recent years, and for the fact it's always easier for smaller counties to compete at underage than senior where the coaching and set-ups grow even more professional. Dublin can be beat at minor, but not senior. That not tell you something about what's happening between those grades?

I get someone like Ferron is trying to court attention with daftness like the above but I expect better from you.
Meath has a current population of over 190K and Kildare of 220K. Both are counties with long and deeply established GAA roots. Both counties are well economically better of than the average, are short distance from Dublin in terms of work and college and have access to wealthy companies for sponsorship. Mayo by comparison has 130K, little industry  and long distances from colleges. If money is the difference then both Meath and Kildare should be our-performing Mayo at all levels. But they are not. Counties need to look at their own short-comings before they go looking for soft answers like the money spent in putting games officers into primary schools in Dublin.

Orchard park

Money is the default excuse for all under achieving counties.  I'm based in limericks where the ultimate gaa sugar daddy reigns and it isn't translating to senior  success

mrhardyannual

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 18, 2017, 05:55:36 PM
Dublin won the All Ireland by a point yesterday after looking for much of the game as though they would lose it. So your congratulations and best wishes lads are much appreciated.

The winning point was scored by Dean Rock the son of an All Ireland winner. The RTÉ man of the match was James McCarthy the son of another All Ireland winner. Now there's no way these lads would be playing Gaelic Football if it wasn't for the money.
From Stephen Rochford down, there is no one in Mayo who doesn't accept that we were beaten by a great team yesterday. The work being done for example in Ballymun Kickhams by Christie and others pre-dates all this blather about development money. Ignore the begrudgers and enjoy the three-in a row. Hopefully we'll have another crack at stopping it becoming four as we did to the equally great Galway three in a row side fifty years ago.

Dinny Breen

Amazes me how some people just don't know or don't want to know how talent identity, talent development, elite development and elite preparation works in sport. Sport is a multi-billion euro industry, if winning is somehow just left to culture and wanting it more then someone somewhere is wasting an awful lot money .
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 18, 2017, 05:55:36 PM

Now we are putting it down to Genetics! The denial takes a new twist!

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin always had the population advantage yes but what they didn't have was the financial resources behind them to get organised, get dozens of coaches out there to schools, etc, etc.

Population on it's own guarantees nothing but population + money and organisation is hard to beat.

T Fearon

Money can't buy commitment,composure,discipline and determination,the four basic qualities Dublin had yesterday to see them home.Jim Gavin must now be considered the best manager of all time.But for an uncharacteristic miscalculation against Donegal in 2014, he would already be celebrating five in a row.Had he been manager of Mayo yesterday,I have no doubt they would have won.

Rossfan

Selecting O'Gara to start an All Ireland Final knocks a few points off him in the "Best manager of all time" contest.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

Gavin had a serious miscalculation in team selection yesterday also

T Fearon

He rectified the things that weren't working successfully.That's what makes him such a great manager.I read an interesting article,that his profession means he spends a lot of time in the air,and has developed coolness and composure by necessity and humility,and he inculcates these qualities into the team,to great effect.

Do you think Pillar Caffrey would have win four All Irelands with this Dublin team?

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on September 18, 2017, 07:34:58 PM
Money can't buy commitment,composure,discipline and determination,the four basic qualities Dublin had yesterday to see them home.Jim Gavin must now be considered the best manager of all time.But for an uncharacteristic miscalculation against Donegal in 2014, he would already be celebrating five in a row.Had he been manager of Mayo yesterday,I have no doubt they would have won.

Money can buy all of the above. It can buy the people to set up the above structures. As for the tactical Substitutions. Jez, how many county teams can bring on players of the caliber of Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly, Kevin McManamon,Bernard Brogan, Niall Scully and Cormac Costello. It's easy make these calls when the players are there.

ashman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 18, 2017, 08:04:01 PM
He rectified the things that weren't working successfully.That's what makes him such a great manager.I read an interesting article,that his profession means he spends a lot of time in the air,and has developed coolness and composure by necessity and humility,and he inculcates these qualities into the team,to great effect.

Do you think Pillar Caffrey would have win four All Irelands with this Dublin team?

Hard to say but I think Pat Gilroy is the link .

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 08:24:37 PM

Money can buy all of the above. It can buy the people to set up the above structures. As for the tactical Substitutions. Jez, how many county teams can bring on players of the caliber of Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly, Kevin McManamon,Bernard Brogan, Niall Scully and Cormac Costello. It's easy make these calls when the players are there.
Like playing cards - easy to play with a great hand or a crap hand. But the good player can make the most of an in between hand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2017, 09:51:43 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 08:24:37 PM

Like playing cards - easy to play with a great hand or a crap hand. But the good player can make the most of an in between hand.

Good to see you giving Kevin his due.