Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

4th year in a row ... hope it's not getting too boring for the rest if Connacht.
Ros are outsiders with bookies/punters at 9/4.
We were bigger outsiders last week ;).
I see it as 50/50 all depending on who gets more things right on the day, not to mention the bounce of the ball or indeed Ref/Umpiring decisions.
We certainly didn't get the latter Saturday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

I fancy Rossies this time round. They are well set up, have runners in key positions and have quality finishers that they didnt have before. Cox has been a revelation. Rossies by 2

An Fhairche Abu

If you'd have told someone on the evening of July 19th 2015 when Mayo put 6-25 past Sligo to win their fifth Connacht title in a row that the next four Connacht finals would all be contested between Galway and Roscommon it would have seemed an unbelievably fanciful tale - yet here we are.

If both teams play to 2019 championship form so far then Galway will be in more than a bit of bother but although the injury situation for some important players seems like it's very slow to resolve, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see an improvement from Galway for the final, it's certainly required to have any aspirations on retaining the title.

It'll be very interesting to see what is the starting fifteen that actually plays for Galway in the final, particularly around who will be the midfield partner for Flynn (FOC injured in club action at the weekend by the sounds of it, Cooke didn't play), who will be in goals, who will be full forward (we cannot line out with the same FF line as against Sligo, it didn't work) and most importantly in my opinion, who will line out in the half back positions on the team.

Rossies looked good at times in the semi-final, they are setup as a team differently from the McStay regime and Cox looks to be a massive addition as a focal point and scorer up front, the impact from the bench was also really noticeable although Enda Smith will surely start on June 16th.
Although I strongly disagree with Liam McHale's assertion that Roscommon should have won 3 Connacht titles in a row from 16-18 they certainly have no fear of Galway and have a reasonable recent record against us. I expected to see Mayo in opposition but I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that Galway will take Roscommon for granted in the final given the past 4 years of championship matches.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 29, 2019, 04:36:59 PM
If you'd have told someone on the evening of July 19th 2015 when Mayo put 6-25 past Sligo to win their fifth Connacht title in a row that the next four Connacht finals would all be contested between Galway and Roscommon it would have seemed an unbelievably fanciful tale - yet here we are.

If both teams play to 2019 championship form so far then Galway will be in more than a bit of bother but although the injury situation for some important players seems like it's very slow to resolve, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see an improvement from Galway for the final, it's certainly required to have any aspirations on retaining the title.

It'll be very interesting to see what is the starting fifteen that actually plays for Galway in the final, particularly around who will be the midfield partner for Flynn (FOC injured in club action at the weekend by the sounds of it, Cooke didn't play), who will be in goals, who will be full forward (we cannot line out with the same FF line as against Sligo, it didn't work) and most importantly in my opinion, who will line out in the half back positions on the team.

Rossies looked good at times in the semi-final, they are setup as a team differently from the McStay regime and Cox looks to be a massive addition as a focal point and scorer up front, the impact from the bench was also really noticeable although Enda Smith will surely start on June 16th.
Although I strongly disagree with Liam McHale's assertion that Roscommon should have won 3 Connacht titles in a row from 16-18 they certainly have no fear of Galway and have a reasonable recent record against us. I expected to see Mayo in opposition but I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that Galway will take Roscommon for granted in the final given the past 4 years of championship matches.
FOC's injury has come at a bad time for us with Cooke, Duggan and Conroy having all been out injured for a long time.
Conroy played for his club at the weekend (kicked 1-5 from play from what I hear) but it's hard to imagine he would be fit enough for a starting berth in a Connacht final after such a long lay off. Neither Cooke nor Duggan featured for Moycullen/Annaghdown.
It's very hard to know who we will play there if Fiontain doesn't recover in time - D'Arcy not up to that level not yet anyway and we don't have any other midfielders in the panel.
Michael Day would be a decent shout as an emergency option/cover if needed - he's well up to it as he showed at underage in the past (although tweaked a hammer at the weekend I believe).
Kieran Molloy came on as a sub for Corofin.
I can't see any change in goal - Power was solid the last day - or in the full backline.
Half back line very much depends on injuries and match fitness (Molloy, Sean Kelly, McDaid).
Up front it is hard to overstate how badly Comer is missed in the ff line. The 3 the last day were all small lads - you'd imagine we could do with a ball winner in there.
I think both Cummins and O'Laoi will come under pressure.
Heaney, Walsh, Burke, Daly are certs to start imo.
Farragher could be given the number 14 jersey yet.
Walsh could be played inside either.
Lots of question marks unfortunately

Manning18

Although I strongly disagree with Liam McHale's assertion that Roscommon should have won 3 Connacht titles in a row from 16-18 they certainly have no fear of Galway and have a reasonable recent record against us.

McHale has really gone into the group with David Brady as laughing stock radio analysts with those couple of interviews he did. Its a wonder how newstalk can keep justifying using them. He has an agenda against Galway. Even besides those ridiculous comments above, he doubled down on the assertion that Mayo would be at least semi finalists after the weekend, said previously that Galway would have to expand to even be in with a chance of beating one of the TOP teams such as Mayo Kerry etc (despite having beaten and got further than both last year) and left Galway out of his list of Dublin challengers, including the likes of Donegal

Manning18

Quote from: galwayman on May 29, 2019, 05:05:27 PM

FOC's injury has come at a bad time for us with Cooke, Duggan and Conroy having all been out injured for a long time.
Conroy played for his club at the weekend (kicked 1-5 from play from what I hear) but it's hard to imagine he would be fit enough for a starting berth in a Connacht final after such a long lay off. Neither Cooke nor Duggan featured for Moycullen/Annaghdown.
It's very hard to know who we will play there if Fiontain doesn't recover in time - D'Arcy not up to that level not yet anyway and we don't have any other midfielders in the panel.
Michael Day would be a decent shout as an emergency option/cover if needed - he's well up to it as he showed at underage in the past (although tweaked a hammer at the weekend I believe).
I can't see any change in goal - Power was solid the last day - or in the full backline.
Half back line very much depends on injuries and match fitness (Molloy, Sean Kelly, McDaid).
Up front it is hard to overstate how badly Comer is missed in the ff line. The 3 the last day were all small lads - you'd imagine we could do with a ball winner in there.

I can definitely envisage a change in the full back line, albiet its probably for the worst. Kyne is back in full training and has been an ever present for Walsh since 2016. I can see the same full back line as last year with Silke at wing back. He'll see that as an easy solution, as I doubt he'll play Molloy now after getting injured so early vs Sligo.

Midfield is similar to Kyne to an extent. He certainly trusts Conroy, and probably Duggan and FOC to a lesser degree. Whichever player can probably give him 50 mins will likely start, with one of the other walking wounded in reserve to take his place. A flier here is Cillian McDaid, who he clearly loves, could possibly be tasked with a third midfielder/ working half forward role. Ditto Heaney, who tbf has actually been named as a midfielder in the past.

That would leave 4 or 5 forwards, with Daly, Walsh and Burke as certs. Cant see him risking Comer, who unlike Kyne etc is way too valuable going forward. My guess would be Brannigan, interchanging with Walsh in the FF and HF lines

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2019, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 29, 2019, 05:05:27 PM

I can definitely envisage a change in the full back line, albiet its probably for the worst. Kyne is back in full training and has been an ever present for Walsh since 2016. I can see the same full back line as last year with Silke at wing back. He'll see that as an easy solution, as I doubt he'll play Molloy now after getting injured so early vs Sligo.

Midfield is similar to Kyne to an extent. He certainly trusts Conroy, and probably Duggan and FOC to a lesser degree. Whichever player can probably give him 50 mins will likely start, with one of the other walking wounded in reserve to take his place. A flier here is Cillian McDaid, who he clearly loves, could possibly be tasked with a third midfielder/ working half forward role. Ditto Heaney, who tbf has actually been named as a midfielder in the past.

That would leave 4 or 5 forwards, with Daly, Walsh and Burke as certs. Cant see him risking Comer, who unlike Kyne etc is way too valuable going forward. My guess would be Brannigan, interchanging with Walsh in the FF and HF lines
I honestly can't see Kyne getting in for the Connacht final as he is literally just back training and hasn't played any game at all yet from what I've heard (could be wrong about that though).
He should be on the bench though

Maroon Manc

Just can't see Kyne starting, he's been out too long and missed far too many games. Midfield is a worry, I like D'Arcy but just don't think he's ready to start against a 1st division team although with all the injuries he's running out of options.

If Mayo had won I'd like to have seen Shane Walsh play full forward, Mayo would have given more space but that won't happen against Roscommon and his ability to break lines and kick scores from distance are going to be important. I know Cummins has had 2 poor games but I'd start him of ahead O'Laoi, obviously he's not tall but he does offer that bit of physicality that O'Laoi lacks alternatively Farragher and Burke have played a lot together which can't be discounted but not convinced Kevin Walsh is a fan of him yet; Think he'll have to do a bit more than a few minutes against Sligo to get a start in a big game.

If Sean Kelly is fit he'll play him in the half forwards, he clearly has great faith in and his ability to get up and down the pitch will be crucial. Its hard to see anything other than a very low scoring game given the way both teams will set up.

An Fhairche Abu

It comes as no surprise but Damien Comer himself has confirmed that he is out of the Connacht final and it also sounds like he'll be doing well to make the squad for either Round 4 of the qualifiers or Round 1 of the Super 8s.
It's crucial that Galway get the FF position sorted out a bit better for the Rossies, people (with some justification) give out about Comer's overall scoring record and his lack of vision to bring other players into the game but it's plain to see that Galway have badly missed his presence up front in terms of ball winning ability and drawing attention away from the other attackers which presents them with more favourable situations during a match.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway football captain Damien Comer has acknowledged he will probably run out of time to be ready for the Connacht final against Roscommon next month.

Comer has been laid up since Christmas when he fractured a bone in his ankle playing a local charity soccer match on St Stephen's Day.

An initial diagnosis did not pick up the fracture and it was only when he had a second scan that the trouble was detected, resulting in surgery 12 weeks ago.

Having missed the games against London and Sligo in the Connacht Championship, Comer is now resigned to sitting out the Roscommon game in Pearse Stadium on Sunday, June 16.

"I think the Connacht final might come a bit soon but I'd be hoping to be back for whatever comes after that," he said.

"It's getting there. It's taking a bit of time but I'm back doing a small bit of straight line running now. I'm playing a waiting game now."

Comer, speaking at the launch of Supervalu's All-Ireland football championship sponsorship, admitted he was still feeling some pain and feels he needs to give the injury more time.

"I'm going through the pain threshold, I'm not giving myself time. If I can get through it and there is no pain then I know I'll be ready to go. At the moment I'm working with the physios and they'll guide me as to how much I will do.

"It's frustrating, especially this time of year. It's hard enough during the league but when you see championship being played you just want to be part of it. I have to bide my time and respect my body," he cautioned.

Comer headed a long list of Galway injuries during the league but he is now at the back of the queue in terms of being ready to play matches again.

Even Paul Conroy, who suffered two broken legs in a collision while playing against Kerry in the opening 'super eight' game last year, is closer.

GalwayBayBoy

To be honest it sounds like Comer is a fair bit off yet. The Super 8's might be a more realistic target if they even get that far.

Personally I think Roscommon are slight favourites. Galway will have no Comer and are struggling for fit midfielders apart from Flynn. FOC was the only senior midfielder available against Sligo and he went off injured in the club championship last weekend. Comer even if he's not scoring heavily attracts the attention of opposition defenders because you are taking a big risk leaving him one on one. Defenders tend to drift towards him in order to help out his marker which opens a little space for the other forwards. And Galway have no like for like replacement for him really. You would be putting in a very different player in there. You can lorry ball into Comer and he'll either win it or break it. Build up without him will have to be more precise.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 30, 2019, 02:41:47 PM
To be honest it sounds like Comer is a fair bit off yet. The Super 8's might be a more realistic target if they even get that far.

Personally I think Roscommon are slight favourites. Galway will have no Comer and are struggling for fit midfielders apart from Flynn. FOC was the only senior midfielder available against Sligo and he went off injured in the club championship last weekend. Comer even if he's not scoring heavily attracts the attention of opposition defenders because you are taking a big risk leaving him one on one. Defenders tend to drift towards him in order to help out his marker which opens a little space for the other forwards. And Galway have no like for like replacement for him really. You would be putting in a very different player in there.

Would agree on the odds, don't see why Galway are 4/9 given all the players they'll likely have missing and then a a few others like Kyne, McDaid & Brannigan who'll have barely kicked a ball this year between them and then there's the issue of the full forward line.

GaillimhIarthair

Farragher has to seriously come into the reckoning for the FF position given Comers absence at this stage.  We just cannot go with the same FF line we used against Sligo as it just didn't work.  Farraghers familiarity in playing with Burke alongside him with Corofin would be useful also and maybe not the risk it appears given his limited Galway appearances. 

Blowitupref

Lads the odds are about right. Galway have already beaten Roscommon well this year, will be at home for this final,won the Connacht final in Hyde Park last summer and that was final Comer was marked out of it until the 69th minute.

Liam Silke,John Daly are big additions to the Galway defence this year and Molloy,McDaid has huge potential. A likely midfield pairing of Tom Flynn, Michael Daly will be a stronger pairing than Roscommon's. 

Ian Burke, Shane Walsh will be the go to forwards and Martin Farragher who likely be given a start for this final and a player of his ability could be a real handful for Roscommon's defence.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

Sure Corofin would probable beat Roscommon
there are a lot of good footballers in Galway