GAA, rugby and alcohol sponsorship

Started by StoneWall, November 14, 2006, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneWall

I see the IRFU has just announced a deal with a leading wine to become the official wine to the Irish team. There also an official beer and of course we have the Magners League and the Heineken Cup.

Imagine the uproar if the GAA had an official beer and an official wine! I can never understand what there are numerous complaints about the fact that Guinness sponsors the GAA when rugby gets away with it?

Don't get me wrong I am not necessarily condoning the sponsorship but surely the same argument applies to all code?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: StoneWall on November 14, 2006, 03:46:43 PM
I see the IRFU has just announced a deal with a leading wine to become the official wine to the Irish team. There also an official beer and of course we have the Magners League and the Heineken Cup.

Imagine the uproar if the GAA had an official beer and an official wine! I can never understand what there are numerous complaints about the fact that Guinness sponsors the GAA when rugby gets away with it?

Don't get me wrong I am not necessarily condoning the sponsorship but surely the same argument applies to all code?

I always find the biggest complaint against alcohol sponsorship comes from within the GAA.
#newbridgeornowhere

dubnut

I really dont think kids drink guinness, or even drink because they sponsor the Hurling.
Maybe because of the type of drink it is more than anything.
Maybe if would be different if Smirnoff Ice or Buckfast were sponsors!  ;)
All joking aside, it may affect which brand you drink, but I dont think it makes you drink when you werent going to before!
TheGael is sure to have something to say about this, he is not a fan of the drink  ;D

tayto

Nah it comes mainly from medical associations, they had some doctor on the radio recently lambasting the GAA for the Guinness sponsorship of the hurling championship because of the damage yadda yadda ... meanwhile the main club rugby competition in European rugby is known as the Heineken cup not as the European cup, the Celtic league is now the magners league, and then during the autumn international the other day there was a whopping great Guinness logo in the middle of the pitch! and not a medical practitioner in sight nor sound of the radio ... never mind if the Kerry team or Kilkenny had started knocking back Champaign like the Munster players did after their recent win ... still not a dicky bird on the radio about the good ol'drugby boys, there isnt even a whimper when they box the heads off each other, which happens all the time in rugby, the commentators just laugh it off, very rarely do the national papers show the fights   ... double standards everywhere you look. 

dubnut

Not to mention yer lad the golfer downing pints at the trophy presentation in the Ryder Cup!

Greenabovethered

It will always be the Bulmers League to me.

I agree with Dinny, the loudest objectors come from within the association. Christy Loftus for example. In the current climate i think we can probably do without drinks sponsorship.  I have no difficulty in the Association taking the moral ground.  Although a lot of clubs are dependant on pub sponsorship and pub run events. I must have been at a dozen race nights, quiz nights, etc over the last number of years.

Personally i think the IRFU sold their soul (maybe a long time ago) to the advertising industry. It was part and parcel of going professional (Dessie beware). What i don't understand is why every commentator and news reporter nationwide have to row in behind them and call the competitions the Heineken Cup and the Magners League. It's like an edict was issued by Sir Tony.

On a humourous note imagine if the football championship became the " Woodies DIY" cup and the League "the Harvey Norman premiership". It's only a matter of time.

thegael

it shouldn't be allowed.

the gaa is in a position of influence what message does it send out?

it promotes drinking and as we all know there is more bad comes from alcohol than good.

the  26 county government should ban alcohol sponsorship relating to sport.

but then people in very high places  love to brag about their love of bass!

but if the 26 county government doesn't the gaa should take the lead hopefully at congress a motion will be forwarded and passed banning the gaa doing so.
what we witnessed at the ryder cup was disgusting and the silly bravado about downing pints in record time as a mode of celebrating was nauseating.

dubnut

Gael, I knew you wouldnt let us down!  ;D

"the gaa is in a position of influence what message does it send out?"
It sends out this message, guinness pays us a lot and advertises the All Ireland better that any previous sponsor.
Do you really think this makes people drink more?

ildanach

greenabovered I think you mean Micky Loftus (ex president of the gaa). He was the  county coroner for Mayo and that is why he is against alcohol so much.
With regard to Alcohol sponsorship, having a competition sponsored by an alcohol company is not going to make people go out and drink it. Sure it does increase the profile of the product but it is different if an individual endorses something this might increase the appeal of it more.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

thegael

alcohol sponsorship of sport is wrong!

the gael takes no prisoners!

johnneycool

Quote from: thegael on November 14, 2006, 04:28:18 PM
alcohol sponsorship of sport is wrong!

the gael takes no prisoners!

What about the vast majority of GAA clubs around the country surviving on the income their social clubs provide?

Is this wrong too?

What other revenue stream would you like to see the GAA explore?

dubnut

Gael, can you please just answer one question, just one.
Do you think acohol sponsorship of sporting events A) makes people drink or drink more full stop, or B) influences the brand of drink people use without affecting the volumes?
A simple A or B answer will do, although something tells me we wont get it!

thegael

the gaa could be a bit more imaginative on other income streams eg bank of ireland football etc.

regarding social clubs i'd rather they not be there but can understand it.as long as they don't serve under 18s and as a result of them inter club feuding doesn't happen.

a big problem with clubs is that they themselves are not imaginative when it comes to income streams close to home- they daren't go near the big building contractors or tradesmen etc that is a hugely untapped market that the clubs don't go near - their own members where they could get collectively each year a small fortune.
also membership fees .some of the above don't relate as much to urban areas.

the gael takes no prisoners.

dubnut

Gael, are you cabable of a coherant answer?
I repeat.

Gael, can you please just answer one question, just one.
Do you think acohol sponsorship of sporting events A) makes people drink or drink more full stop, or B) influences the brand of drink people use without affecting the volumes?
A simple A or B answer will do