Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 02, 2019, 09:55:59 AM
Why would anyone attend a sport that all its commentators on TV, print and SM roundly condemn as a crap 'product'. Maybe a more positive vibe from the sidelines might do more to promote the game in a positive light and help attendances. 
you bang on the mark there. the non stop negative articles about football do my jead in . hurling and rugby go too far the other way , everything is always great , and only retired player would piss on your legs
. even all this navel gazing about home many went to the game and how many Dublin fans could balance on a needle argument speak of a great insecurity ,
just go and enjoy the game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Wildweasel74

What was the attendances 20 odd yrs ago in smaller stadiums?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2019, 11:04:10 AM
Average per game rounded
MSHC 25,500
LSHC 13,000
USFC 13,900
LSFC 10,800
CSFC 10,250
MSFC 6,100.
Have seen hardly any figures for the 3 Rounds of Qualifiers but going by those I have seen and the empty stadia on the bits of TV highlights (apart from the Monaghan and Mayowestros games) -would the 20 games have attracted 100,000??

I actually thought all the grounds at the qualifiers looked to have good crowds in them at the weekend on tv. There was around 19,000 in Castlebar which was by far the biggest attendance. The throw in for Laois Offally was delayed due to the crowd - think there was 7,000 or something there. There was no tickets left in Newbridge so I'd say around 6,000 there and I think they said 5,000 at the Westmeath match. Not bad for qualifier games especially if you compare them to other sports in the country.

The first two rounds always get some poor attendances - a combination of teams coming off large defeats, non football counties being involved and mismatches. There was still big crowds at Mayo Down and Armagh Monaghan last week.

I still think the ticket prices are too dear for the qualifiers now the super 8s have been added in too. The games the last two weekends were 20 euro and now its up to 25 euro this weekend. Then it'll get dearer again for the next 2 super 8 games. 20/25 euro is ok if your county is only out every 2 or 3 weeks but when it's every week it adds up.

Farrandeelin

I wasn't there myself on Saturday. Our 2nd team were playing in Glenamoy at 3.30 that day and I'm involved with them. Now if 'boyhood fire was in my blood' etc. I'd probably rush on afterwards. However I was gone from 1.45 and I didn't get home till 6.15. It's a long enough day on the road instead of arriving home at near 10ish at night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Yup I agree with the prices thing, RHSanta.

It's expensive following your team if in the qualifiers, especially if you don't know where you're heading from one week to the next. The GAA are  fixing prices far too high. Loyal fans are only so loyal as their wallets will allow.

Rossfan

Last weekend
Hyde 14,465
Croke Park 30,214
Killarney 32,312
Ballybofey 15,297
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Over 92k last weekend, will this weekend exceed 70K?

Could show the folly of playing these games in CP.

In an alternate reality, good grounds and atmosphere.

25K in Portlaoise (Ros v Dub)
10K in Tullamore (Cork v Tyrone)
25K in Limerick (Mayo v Meath)
15K in Galway (Kerry v Donegal)
#newbridgeornowhere

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2019, 01:46:58 PM

Could show the folly of playing these games in CP.

In an alternate reality, good grounds and atmosphere.

25K in Portlaoise (Ros v Dub)
10K in Tullamore (Cork v Tyrone)
25K in Limerick (Mayo v Meath)
15K in Galway (Kerry v Donegal)

I don't know about the others but you wouldn't attract 10k to Tullamore for Tyrone and Cork. In my opinion all provincial champions deserve a game in the best stadium in the country. Maybe they could go back to having it as the first game with the provincial champs playing each other as a double header (leading to a big crowd) and the teams coming through the qualifiers playing elsewhere in a neutral venue.

Love watching Tyrone play in croke park, best and fastest pitch in Ireland. There's plenty of things in life to complain about, days out in Croke Park aren't one of them.

clonadmad

All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final

I'd expect both Semifinals to hit close to the 70k mark especially the Tipp wexford game

rosnarun

id be surprised if sunday's double header doesn't at least come very close to 40K if not be it
Don't think you'd get many meath people down to Limerick but aa crowd ay go to see them in Croke park.

mind you if the double header was in limerick I would not object . id reckon that would be full to the rafters
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2019, 02:25:24 PM
id be surprised if sunday's double header doesn't at least come very close to 40K if not be it
Don't think you'd get many meath people down to Limerick but aa crowd ay go to see them in Croke park.

mind you if the double header was in limerick I would not object . id reckon that would be full to the rafters
I highly doubt Meath and Mayo would have brought 50k down to Limerick.

Rossfan

Breffni Park would be grand for Meath/Rhus.
Last years figure for the 12 games was 218,134
2017 for the old fashioned knock out Qtr Finals 5 games as we had a replay with Mayowestros) 186,900.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

meathie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2019, 01:46:58 PM

God Id be fairly surprised if we didnt see more than 70,000 over the 4 games... Id imagine Sunday will be about 45000 at least....

macdanger2

Just over 48k at today's games

BennyCake

Is it not time to take these neutral super 8's games out of Croke Park?