Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Some good distances on the leader board last week lads! Heating up for the Giro!

JimStynes

Did the 140 route today. Managed to finish with only about 20/25 mins to spare!! Complete brutal. easily the toughest cycling event I've done. 2 punctures as well  >:(

bennydorano

Tough going alrite Jim.  Have to say it was the best organised sportive I've ever done, sometimes you can get very little for your entry fee but thought we got a great goodie bag and superb marshalling, signage, grub etc.. today bought the Jersey too last night, £45 impulse buy, caught again.

Roll on Wicklow!  You'll have to have a go at that Jim, about 4/5,000 feet more climbing, but 18 miles less than today's distance.

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on May 04, 2014, 07:15:59 PM
Did the 140 route today. Managed to finish with only about 20/25 mins to spare!! Complete brutal. easily the toughest cycling event I've done. 2 punctures as well  >:(

Were the puctures caused by nips from man hole covers? They are a torture in the city and town areas. Road service dont know/care about making them smooth.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LeoMc

Tight we climb from Broughshane to Glenarm then the wind in your face all the way to Whitehead and another climb into Carrick. Didn't enjoy that part of it.

Well organised though and even the Mayor if Ballymena out for some reason. I think I will be peeing high5 for the next 3 days.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on May 04, 2014, 08:44:02 PM
Tough going alrite Jim.  Have to say it was the best organised sportive I've ever done, sometimes you can get very little for your entry fee but thought we got a great goodie bag and superb marshalling, signage, grub etc.. today bought the Jersey too last night, £45 impulse buy, caught again.

Roll on Wicklow!  You'll have to have a go at that Jim, about 4/5,000 feet more climbing, but 18 miles less than today's distance.

big eye opener today as to how average i am. Fellas from the local club beside me average 18.9 for 144! Serious speed and fitness. I need to improve my fitness and lose some weight big time if I want to do something like the Wicklow 200. I am not in a club so i don't know how to properly cycle in a group and a crash put me off cycling too close to other people, I was afraid for my new bianchi rather than my own safety. Had to cycle a good 50 mile on my own today at one stage!! I agree with the organisation, top class and great goodie bag! Although I thought the Aid Station from Ballycastle to Glenarm was too far away, wouldnt have minded a wee drink/food stop somewhere in between after those hard climbs.

The pros will prob fly round it with ave speed of 35mph or something

Maguire01

What's with all these miles? Why do all cyclists not do kilometers? Did the 135km myself- tough enough slog but a good day.

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2014, 09:58:22 PM

Were the puctures caused by nips from man hole covers? They are a torture in the city and town areas. Road service dont know/care about making them smooth.

I think so! 5 mile in and I got a bloody puncture! Was in a good group as well. Flying along at a manageable pace then that happens.

Mayo4Sam

Did the Orwell Randonne Saturday, 140k, over the Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and back over the Sally. Tough course but felt strong until cramping near the end. Picked up a few top 10 segments up the Sally gap
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

JimStynes

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 05, 2014, 11:29:26 AM
Did the Orwell Randonne Saturday, 140k, over the Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and back over the Sally. Tough course but felt strong until cramping near the end. Picked up a few top 10 segments up the Sally gap

Sounds painful!!

Might give the Mourne Etape a go in a few weeks. anyone ever do it?

bennydorano

Yeah, did the 75 mile route 2 years ago on a scorching day in May.  It was very tough Jim, climbing from go to woh.  Someone else here did it the same day, AQMP maybe? Ideal prep for Wicklow.

JimStynes

I might do the 45mile, i dont know if I could be bothered with anymore slaughtering sessions this year.

The Iceman

Any of yous do any Mountain Biking? Found a great trail park near us - about 25 mins away. Though you's might like a look at one of the trails on offer for the elite - I won't be attempting! There are a load of trails for beginner level and up. Place is called Duthie hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBMjHxvkdo
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

Quote from: JimStynes on May 05, 2014, 05:22:02 PM
I might do the 45mile, i dont know if I could be bothered with anymore slaughtering sessions this year.

It is perverse that you can be in so much pain and still be enjoying something :D

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on May 05, 2014, 07:11:30 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 05, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

It is perverse that you can be in so much pain and still be enjoying something :D

Asked myself a few times yesterday if i was mad in the head for putting myself through that torture. Makes me want to get fitter and better though.  The sweet suffering!

Cycling has to be one of the toughest sports out there. After boxing, mma, and triathlon. What a painful way to earn a living.