Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

It's easier now to operate solely with the one bike with the new clip on mudguards. In the past if the bike didn't have mudguard eyes which most proper racings bikes hadn't then you couldn't fit them, hence the 2 bikes. Also it used to be that a lot of guys would ride fixed wheel (1 gear) bikes in the winter for fitness reasons (never saw that myself but there you go) - funny how the fixies have now come back as retro. Makes you feel old !

thebigfella

Quote from: maddog on March 31, 2014, 09:51:46 AM
It's easier now to operate solely with the one bike with the new clip on mudguards. In the past if the bike didn't have mudguard eyes which most proper racings bikes hadn't then you couldn't fit them, hence the 2 bikes. Also it used to be that a lot of guys would ride fixed wheel (1 gear) bikes in the winter for fitness reasons (never saw that myself but there you go) - funny how the fixies have now come back as retro. Makes you feel old !

You have hipster tosser to ride one now

maddog

Quote from: thebigfella on March 31, 2014, 09:55:50 AM
Quote from: maddog on March 31, 2014, 09:51:46 AM

You have hipster t**ser to ride one now

I couldnt even if i wanted to

bennydorano

Still a few older fellas about riding fixies during winter to train.

thebigfella

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2014, 12:05:53 PM

Surely though you can train with the bike in the same gear?

Considering pros don't have winter training bikes, I don't see where this trend has started among amateurs. I'm not knocking having more than one bike, I've quite a few and they all get used for their purpose. I just absolutely hate this nonsense of not using the "expensive" bike during the winter for fear of getting it dirty/damaged by having a "winter training" bike.

maddog

Quote from: thebigfella on March 31, 2014, 12:18:43 PM

Considering pros don't have winter training bikes, I don't see where this trend has started among amateurs. I'm not knocking having more than one bike, I've quite a few and they all get used for their purpose. I just absolutely hate this nonsense of not using the "expensive" bike during the winter for fear of getting it dirty/damaged by having a "winter training" bike.

When did it start - no idea but when i was racing from 1984 onwards they were long at it then. But in those days a hack bike was a hack not just a slightly cheaper version of the normal summer bike except with mudguards. Ironically my own winter hack is better equipped (ultegra) than the new bike (105) but i built it cheaply with 2nd hand ebay parts so i will stick with it for winter and wet weather.

thebigfella

Quote from: maddog on March 31, 2014, 12:41:48 PM

When did it start - no idea but when i was racing from 1984 onwards they were long at it then. But in those days a hack bike was a hack not just a slightly cheaper version of the normal summer bike except with mudguards. Ironically my own winter hack is better equipped (ultegra) than the new bike (105) but i built it cheaply with 2nd hand ebay parts so i will stick with it for winter and wet weather.

The irony is I have a hack (hard to call it that because it was a discounted 2013 full tiagra) for the daily commute etc... with mudguards on and sometimes use it for more leisurely spins.

It was bought as the cnuts in work using the cycle racks have no respect or are thieving w@nkers. The handful of times I bought my proper bike in work, I've had spokes broken on 2 separate occasions, mudguards stole of the bike, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor stolen and various scratches on the frame due to people throwing bikes on top of it; despite being stored in an underground secure car park  >:(

maddog

Quote from: thebigfella on March 31, 2014, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: maddog on March 31, 2014, 12:41:48 PM

The irony is I have a hack (hard to call it that because it was a discounted 2013 full tiagra) for the daily commute etc... with mudguards on and sometimes use it for more leisurely spins.

It was bought as the cnuts in work using the cycle racks have no respect or are thieving w@nkers. The handful of times I bought my proper bike in work, I've had spokes broken on 2 separate occasions, mudguards stole of the bike, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor stolen and various scratches on the frame due to people throwing bikes on top of it; despite being stored in an underground secure car park  >:(

That is bad. As an aside a friend was telling me last night how he had the wiper blades stolen from his work van outside his house. When he went to a local garage to replace them he was told it was a common enough occurence. :o

bennydorano

With fixed gear 'training' the freewheel is disabled AFAIK, so u have to pedal whether u like it or not, good for cadence training i suppose & if you'd more gears sure you'd just cheat.

I like the idea of 2 bikes i have to say, though like others my winter bike is nearly every bit as good as the summer one. I look after it too, so it would do me fine during the summer if required.

Milltown Row2

Wee problem with my gears, it won't click into top gear, I've a wee duathalon in Lisburn this week so id like to get it fixed. Any ideas??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerry

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2014, 07:47:15 AM
You should always wash the 'bike' after a good ride :D

How many posters are doing the Giro stages?? Im off on a stag weekend so missing out.

Cycling from Omagh to Ballycastle to watch it. A weekend of beer and craic hopefully
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2014, 08:24:29 PM
Wee problem with my gears, it won't click into top gear, I've a wee duathalon in Lisburn this week so id like to get it fixed. Any ideas??
your derailleur needs a wee tweak probably, is your chain well lubricated also. 2 minute job for a bike tech but there will be plenty of you tube clips showing you how to do it yourself. its fiddly but no bother to a man of your capabilities ;)

Mayo4Sam

Went to sundrive track there a few weeks ago and did my accreditation, you've to do it before they let u train for real, all on fixies with no brakes, loved it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

haranguerer

I'm looking to get into this cycling lark, with a view to eventually getting into triathlons (in between/after the football).

My work has the cycle to work scheme, and I've been looking at the top end of that limit (£1k). There are a number of guides on the net, but for an ill-informed newbie like me, its hard to distinguish between any of them. Someone said to me too that I'd get much better spec for that money looking at previous season bikes, but its generally a lot harder to find information about these, and also stockists, even on the net.

Has anyone any advice/recommendations for me?