Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: robertemmet on August 19, 2011, 11:33:09 AM
Is there anyone on here that is into racing?  You do many races in the season.
I have a lot of GAA commitments so I don't have as much time as I'd like for getting into good enough shape for racing.  I've only done about three this year so far compared to about ten by this time last year.  That said, there is an informal race that I do with a squad of boys at lunchtime every Tuesday and Thursday, that's always good crack.  I'm a Cat 4 rider, some of the boys in that group are Cat 2 so I spend most of my time just trying to hang on.

If it weren't for my GAA commitments I'd be racing just about every weekend all summer.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 19, 2011, 07:29:49 PM
Quote from: robertemmet on August 19, 2011, 11:33:09 AM
Is there anyone on here that is into racing?  You do many races in the season.
I have a lot of GAA commitments so I don't have as much time as I'd like for getting into good enough shape for racing.  I've only done about three this year so far compared to about ten by this time last year.  That said, there is an informal race that I do with a squad of boys at lunchtime every Tuesday and Thursday, that's always good crack.  I'm a Cat 4 rider, some of the boys in that group are Cat 2 so I spend most of my time just trying to hang on.

If it weren't for my GAA commitments I'd be racing just about every weekend all summer.
What club do you ride for...at home or in Sunnyvale ?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

flantheman82

So I'm doing a cycle to Dublin on 16th of September with the club. What sort of slow release energy foods should I be taking on board while doing the longer runs? And which type of drinks?

Tyrones own

Quote from: flantheman82 on August 21, 2011, 08:16:31 AM
So I'm doing a cycle to Dublin on 16th of September with the club. What sort of slow release energy foods should I be taking on board while doing the longer runs? And which type of drinks?
I have two bottles with me, one with a Nuun electrolyte tab and the other bottle with a Cytomax energy mix, for snacks I carry various energy bars, a packet of honey stingers gel chews, beef jerky, a banana and if it's a long ride (75 - 100 mile) a sandwich of some sort.
Gotta stay fueled...it's no fun running out of energy 10 miles from home  :(
"Eat before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty"
  - Walter Lippmann

imtommygunn

Fig rolls are also great.

Tyrones own

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 22, 2011, 09:05:01 PM
Fig rolls are also great.
Indeed...forgot to mention those.
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

I used to swear by fig rolls and bananas. Nowadays I've gotten into gel packs.  They were disgusting (by texture and flavour) in the early days but they've gotten better at it. There's a brand called Gu which I really like, especially the orange.  I use almost exclusively gel packs now, only use bananas or something solid on anything longer than 60 miles.

For drink I use a 50:50 mix of water and Gatorade.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 22, 2011, 10:11:20 PM
I used to swear by fig rolls and bananas. Nowadays I've gotten into gel packs.  They were disgusting (by texture and flavour) in the early days but they've gotten better at it. There's a brand called Gu which I really like, especially the orange.  I use almost exclusively gel packs now, only use bananas or something solid on anything longer than 60 miles.

For drink I use a 50:50 mix of water and Gatorade.
Which club are you associated with here ?
  - Walter Lippmann

robertemmet

The turbo trainer can be boring, but you need to have a plan.  Have the session broken down into intervals.  Great way of keeping ticking over during the winter.  I have 45 min sessions 5 min warmup 1min turn up the restsitance, 2mins, turn it up 3mins turn it up all the way up to five mins, then work back to 1min.  Also things like 20mins sprint, 40sec off repeating it 5 times.  Loads of things you can do. but you need a TV or an ipod

mal-sport.blogspot.com then go to cycling, I have an article there on the turbo trainer, or the gravy train as I call it

for sports drinks I use diluted robinsons with glucose powder. As good as any to be honest.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 23, 2011, 05:09:57 AM
Want my name, address and social security number as well?  Go and stalk somebody else.

bennydorano

Never done the Gel thing, are they any good?  Someone told me you have to be taking them for a few weeks before they are any use, is that true?  Sounded a bit strange to me ???

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on August 23, 2011, 09:41:58 PM
Never done the Gel thing, are they any good?  Someone told me you have to be taking them for a few weeks before they are any use, is that true?  Sounded a bit strange to me ???
Weeks?! They'll be long gone from your system by then! Take them before and during riding.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2011, 09:37:46 PM
Want my name, address and social security number as well?  Go and stalk somebody else.
:D No, don't need nor want any of that, it was just a simple question as I'm quite familiar with the clubs and racing here... maybe ran into you at some of these events.
But owing to the defensiveness, I'll assume you're exaggerating once again  :-[
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: bennydorano on August 23, 2011, 09:41:58 PM
No that's untrue Benny...they go to work fairly efficiently, they can upset your stomach
though and that's why I don't care for them.
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 23, 2011, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2011, 09:37:46 PM
:D No, don't need nor want any of that, it was just a simple question as I'm quite familiar with the clubs and racing here... maybe ran into you at some of these events.
But owing to the defensiveness, I'll assume you're exaggerating once again  :-[
Well if you really want to meet me you can catch me occasionally on the 8:30 ride from the bridge to Point Reyes on a Saturday morning, or most Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Santa Clara lunchtime crit. But I'm not revealing any personal contact details here, and certainly not to a mad hatter like you.