Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2023, 08:12:40 AM
Can't see it as they seem to be getting worse not better. Around 2012 or so they were beating kk and were genuine ai contenders(only for a year or so) and that was their chance I think...

Ryan O'Dwyer getting sent off in the 2013 All Ireland Semi Final was the sliding doors moment for Dublin Hurling

If he had stayed on they probably would have won and possibly won the All Ireland that year

imtommygunn

Yeah I would agree with that. I imagine they'd be in a very different place right now if they'd got an AI or even a final place.

Their minors are always decent enough so you'd expect them to stay at that level but tbh it's a frustrating place to be. Put in loads of effort to maybe challenge KK or Galway if you're lucky.

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on August 02, 2023, 12:10:23 PM
Can't see it as they seem to be getting worse not better. Around 2012 or so they were beating kk and were genuine ai contenders(only for a year or so) and that was their chance I think...

Ryan O'Dwyer getting sent off in the 2013 All Ireland Semi Final was the sliding doors moment for Dublin Hurling

If he had stayed on they probably would have won and possibly won the All Ireland that year

Possibly but any team knocking on the door usually, the next year, push on.  This tells me that Dublin weren't nowhere good enough. They got close once but it's that consistency of winning Leinsters and getting to AI semi-finals is the issue.

They didn't do it then and haven't done it since.

They need a different way.

Cyril Farrell fan

I had a feeling that Cork were going to sneak it in 2013 even if O'Dwyer had stayed on the field.
Still it was a year that any of the unfancied counties could have won it because Tipp and Kilkenny were in disarray.

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on August 02, 2023, 02:07:08 PM

Possibly but any team knocking on the door usually, the next year, push on.  This tells me that Dublin weren't nowhere good enough. They got close once but it's that consistency of winning Leinsters and getting to AI semi-finals is the issue.

They need a different way.

Neither Cork nor Clare pushed on either after that

Norma service resumed with kilkenny and tipp for the following few years

seafoid

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccl

They need a different way
Clare took their chance. 2013 was a once off. Cats returned in 14

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2023, 12:19:45 PM

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccl

They need a different way
Clare took their chance. 2013 was a once off. Cats returned in 14

I felt there was at least 2 more titles in that Clare team at the time, they didn't look to improve after winning that title as they just fell away from the reckoning, a bit like Galway, they also should have tagged on a couple more titles with that team.

Limerick on the other hand are improving each year, not resting on their laurels
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think some might say Fitzgerald wrecked them...

seafoid

The key match that year was when Cork beat Kilkenny. The road opened. Kilkenny never got going properly. Normal service returned the next 2 years. 2013 was a special year Clare only have 4 all Irelands AFAIK.

seafoid

2013 happened 8
years into Kilkenny's reign  after the 4 in a row. They were missing something and there was a gap where the light got in.  Something similar will probably happen at the fag end of the Limerick empire when the discipline fades

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2023, 06:30:15 PM
I think some might say Fitzgerald wrecked them...

And Kinnerk left them.

imtommygunn

Didn't realise he was there. Some trail of success wherever he goes.

seafoid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2023, 04:36:07 PM
Hurling frees more likely to go to losing teams:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/08/24/study-finds-hurling-frees-more-likely-to-go-to-team-trailing-on-scoreboard/

Ref margins are very interesting.

Its an interesting concept but as its said, they haven't looked at the actual 'free' to decide whether or not it is a free or not

Some factors being teams defend more when in front, teams attack more when behind, which will draw more fouls

I try and tally the free ups in a game the odd time, one time a lad was complaining about not getting frees, I showed him the free count, his team had more frees, he said that they were not in scoreable positions! Can't win lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea