UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

why do you boys moan so much about this anyway, the bbc coverage is shit anyway. just watch rte and be happy as you's don't even pay for your gaa that way as i assume you's dont pay the Irish tv licence ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 02:35:27 PM
why do you boys moan so much about this anyway, the bbc coverage is shit anyway. just watch rte and be happy as you's don't even pay for your gaa that way as i assume you's dont pay the Irish tv licence ::)

We might if yous hadn't to sell us out.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

no stirieking

A couple of weeks ago I was on holiday in Spain and was able  to get BBC channels including BBC NI
I made a point of watching on the Friday evening before the Derry/Dublin match.  There would be a major feature on this important game, 82000 sell out crowd etc.The major feature was Jerome Quinn in Monaghan with a Derry and a Dublin boxer and he threw the ball up between them.  It was embarrassingly pathetic

magickingdom

anyone know why rte is not available free to air all over the north? what % of the north can get it?

pintsofguinness

Just around the border areas.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

inisceithleann

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2007, 09:31:58 PM

I pick my signal up from a transmitter in either Sligo or Longford, not sure which. Strange thing is that my TV3 picture is better than RTÉ, but all are very good and i get my RTÉ through sky digital anyway. Is TV3 available all over the North?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

orangeman

Does anyone out there have Setanta ? What is the GAA coeverage like ?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2007, 08:02:11 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 02:35:27 PM

We might if yous hadn't to sell us out.

sure would u biys really give up ur free health care and all the other free stuff you's get from the Queen ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

neutral

I just dont watch BBC or UTV anymore if they dont cover my sports I dont watch them.. no big deal to either party Im sure. 

Hereiam

I'm with you neutral, dont watch them anymore. Only watch RTE or TV3 news. utv didn't even give out the republic's football result last nite. We have to ask ourselves what is going on, is it common policy now with the local broadcasters to try and make us more british or what by ignoring what goes on with regards to the south.

thebandit

Its brainwashing - they think that if they show us enough Irish League soccer that eventually we will like it!

ONeill

Quote from: thebandit on August 23, 2007, 05:26:14 PM
Its brainwashing - they think that if they show us enough Irish League soccer that eventually we will like it!

Gwan the Swifts!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donagh

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 22, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2007, 09:31:58 PM

I pick my signal up from a transmitter in either Sligo or Longford, not sure which. Strange thing is that my TV3 picture is better than RTÉ, but all are very good and i get my RTÉ through sky digital anyway. Is TV3 available all over the North?

I get all four southern channels loud and clear in Belfast through an aerial on the roof. I got back to the BBC today about the freedom of information request (due within 20 days) – they say now it'll be dealt with within 20 working days.

Donagh

On the last day allowed by the Act, the BBC got back to me. Not surprisingly they have refused to give details of the amount of coverage given to each sport and the costs of the coverage. Response below:

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information about the volume, cost and audience figures for BBCNI television and radio coverage of Gaelic Football, Hurling, Soccer, Rugby and Motorcycling.

The information which you have requested about the volume and cost of specific aspects of BBCNI's sports output is not covered by the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Schedule 1 of the Act states that the BBC and other designated public service broadcasters are covered by this legislation only in respect of information held for purposes "other than those of journalism, art and literature". Information which is not subject to disclosure because of this derogation may otherwise be exempt from disclosure because of the application of other provisions of the Act.

The BBC receives audience data about television viewing in the UK under an agreement with the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (BARB) for which the BBC pays an annual subscription. Under the terms of this agreement, the BBC is entitled to use such information for its own internal purposes and may make this data more widely available in specific circumstances. Although we consider that the Act does not apply to audience data, the BBC does have a working practice (consistent with other broadcasting organisations and the terms
of its contractual agreement with BARB) of releasing some headline performance information. We will not be releasing such information or any accompanying analysis on this occasion.
Audience figures for radio listening across the UK are collated by Rajar and are subject to analogous contractual constraints. We believe that such information is not covered by the Act and will not be making it voluntarily available in response to this request.

Following discussions with colleagues however, and consistent with established practice at local level, BBCNI is prepared to voluntarily release information about the volume and range of its current sports output. The nature, extent and profile of our sports coverage is directly affected by issues relating to rights acquisition, funding constraints, market provision and the BBC's service commitments as a whole. All of our output is delivered within the context of the BBC's Charter and Framework Agreement and also the terms of its Service Licences and
Purpose Remits. Sports programming is an essential and prominent feature of our service offering across radio, television and online and we work hard to ensure that it reflects a broad cross-section of interests and activities.

BBC Radio Ulster broadcasts 41 Saturday Sportsound programmes each year. Much of this output focuses on Irish League soccer and includes full match commentaries from 41 fixtures. In 06/07 the station also provided live coverage of 8 Setanta Cup matches involving Irish League teams and 6 European games featuring local clubs. Its programming additionally included 8 international matches involving the Northern Ireland soccer team. Such output was
complemented by dedicated sports programming on BBC Foyle and its coverage of Derry City's performance in the Eircom League. BBCNI also provided extensive coverage of the Milk Cup in Coleraine and soccer (together with the other sports referred to in your request) featured in news and related programming on local television and radio.

BBC Radio Ulster broadcast live match commentaries form 36 Gaelic Football matches on Sunday Sportsound and dedicated medium wave split programmes. Such programming included inter-county and club games, the National Football League and All-Ireland Club Championships. Our radio coverage was complemented by programming on BBCNI television which included highlights of the Hurling Final and live coverage of the MacRory Cup.
BBC Radio Ulster provided live coverage of Ulster team fixtures as part of the Magners League and Heiniken Cup, together with live match commentaries and analysis of fixtures involving the Ireland rugby team. The latter included 8 matches within the review period.

BBCNI television additionally provided coverage of the Magners League, Schools' Cup and Ireland A v England A matches.
BBCNI television provided a mix of programming about motorcycling which included coverage of the Isle of Man TT, the Ulster Grand Prix and fixtures at Tandragee, Cookstown and Antrim.

Appeal Rights
Please note that the BBC does not offer an internal review when the information requested is not covered by the Act. If you disagree with our decision you can appeal directly to the Information Commissioner. The contact details are: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, telephone 01625 545 700 or see
http://www.ico.gov.uk/

Yours sincerely
Mark Adair
Head of Public Policy, Corporate and Community Affairs

orangeman

Here in the wee North some things never change !!!!!!!!!!