International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Shane Walsh is such a frustrating player to watch. So much ability but decision making and composure at times let him down.

Gold

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 12, 2017, 10:19:32 PM
Got the tactics wrong in playing a blanket and allowing the Aussies to rack up hundreds of hand-passes. Need to put more pressure on them in their half to force them to kick it.
Aidan O'Shea played ok but wrecked my head with his constant theatrics. He could learn from the opposition in that regard.

O Shea was like the screaming Harry Arter (who someone needs a word with btw). Needs to get on the ball and handpass it quick...his kicking isnt good enough and he cant run the ball into tackles in this sport

Walsh sloppy and slow on ball which you cant be as a jink doesnt mean you cant be rugby tackled.  Long ball works.

That 45 hit by Tuoghy was rank amateurism....points so important at that stage and it was like let him hit it coz he's closest to it. Murphy, mcManus or Morgan should have. Morgan played well btw
Murphy and McManus esp were unreal
That was it
Fyfe was lethal and his goal (if meant) was class. Keeper was v good as was Betts. V hard to change the GAA midset when passed the ball..these are all good players who'd usually have time on the ball but you dont in this sport. Handpass needs to go immediately...cannot deliberate on the ball for a second
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

cavanmaniac

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 12, 2017, 07:28:17 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 12, 2017, 06:28:33 AM
Seems to be following the pattern of most tests most years, we're being equalled if not outperformed with the round ball by players who did not pick one up until two days ago. Of course fitness and familiarity with the tackle and winning aerial duels in forests of players are all big factors (aussies score most from marks close to goal) but Gaelic football's handpassing fetish really exposes us here.

They hand passed a lot more than us.

The buy Fyfe was superb

They did yes, but my point was that when they were forced to kick, they did so more accurately than us, particularly when picking out marks close to goal, from which most of their scores came. You can see how their game requires a much more judicious mix of hand and foot whereas ours is largely just lamentable throwball as someone else aptly termed it. Of course, we must also bear in mind that a 'good' kickpass in gaelic usually means a ball bouncing into the chest of the target player, in this game that's suicidal so it's another thing the Irish lads have to get their heads around under pressure, whereas it's part and parcel of the Aussie approach.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 12, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
Shane Walsh is such a frustrating player to watch. So much ability but decision making and composure at times let him down.

Ability wise not to many players possess the skills he has but I agree his decision making does let him down although the biggest issue I have with him is the way he drifts out of games.

From the Bunker

Ó Sé calls for end to 'bastardised game'
12 November 2017

Marc Ó Sé is a coach with CBS Tralee.

Marc Ó Sé has described the International Rules series as a 'bastardised game' that needs to be put out of its misery.

"I know that people say that one of the great positives the series provides the GAA is that it gave us the opportunity to represent our country - but I never felt like an international player," the former Kerry defender wrote in the Mail on Sunday ahead of this morning's first Test in Adelaide, which ended in a 10-point defeat for Ireland.

"It is not like representing your country at rugby and soccer, where you are playing your game in a global tournament which you know matters.

"We were playing a makey-up game two times a year and against the same opponents every time. That's not just a poor man's version of international sport, that's a desperate man's version."

With the Kerry SFC not starting until September next year because of the new inter-county championship structure, Ó Sé fears clubs will suffer most if the series continues.

"If the club is truly the pillar of the Association, then it should be in no way undermined for the benefit of a small number of elite players playing a bastardised game with a dodgy past and a non-existent future," he added.

From the Bunker

Quote from: skeog on November 12, 2017, 10:04:40 AM
So what if its a junket good for people who entertain us most of the year.Begrudgery in Ireland at its best knocking the efforts of wonderful ambassadors,watched 90 mins of tripe from your so called professionals in Copenhagen give me MM CMCM etc any day of the week.

A truly uneducated comment. You are putting on a pedestal a Mickey mouse game, that no player from Dublin our All Ireland Champions wanted to be involved in.

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2017, 11:11:00 AM
Ó Sé calls for end to 'bastardised game'
12 November 2017

Marc Ó Sé is a coach with CBS Tralee.

Marc Ó Sé has described the International Rules series as a 'bastardised game' that needs to be put out of its misery.

"I know that people say that one of the great positives the series provides the GAA is that it gave us the opportunity to represent our country - but I never felt like an international player," the former Kerry defender wrote in the Mail on Sunday ahead of this morning's first Test in Adelaide, which ended in a 10-point defeat for Ireland.

"It is not like representing your country at rugby and soccer, where you are playing your game in a global tournament which you know matters.

"We were playing a makey-up game two times a year and against the same opponents every time. That's not just a poor man's version of international sport, that's a desperate man's version."

With the Kerry SFC not starting until September next year because of the new inter-county championship structure, Ó Sé fears clubs will suffer most if the series continues.

"If the club is truly the pillar of the Association, then it should be in no way undermined for the benefit of a small number of elite players playing a bastardised game with a dodgy past and a non-existent future," he added.

O'Se is writing for the Mail? Christ

heffo

If the international aspect is so important to the players, GAA brass and the journalists who continue to support this farce, you'd wonder why there were two men and a dog at the Shinty in Inverness last month, with one journalist and no GAA brass

haranguerer

sligoman2

Could someone explain to me how this interferes with clubs?  Some real old fashioned bull from O'Se.

No one forces the players to play, no one forces ye to watch. A lot of posters on here including myself enjoy it, for the rest of ye, just hit the channel + button and move on.

Fcuk the begrudges.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 13, 2017, 12:49:31 PM

Could someone explain to me how this interferes with clubs?  Some real old fashioned bull from O'Se.

No one forces the players to play, no one forces ye to watch. A lot of posters on here including myself enjoy it, for the rest of ye, just hit the channel + button and move on.

Fcuk the begrudges.

Agreed a lot of people like it so whats the problem its only once a year or even every other years so no big deal. Some people just like to moan

AZOffaly

This 'f**k the Begrudgers' stuff is starting to get on my tits. No matter what the subject is, if you voice any sort of disagreement, you are a begrudger. I've long ago given up watching this farce, but I understand and accept that others do, so be it. I'm not going to call them names for liking it.

f**k the begrudgers on Dublin
f**k the begrudgers on International Rules
f**k the begrudgers on Padraic Duffy
f**k the begrudgers on Martin O'Neill and his style of play
f**k the begrudgers on Conor McGregor
f**k the begrudgers on U2

ad infinitum

Jaysus it would wear you down. It would appear that all disagreement now is simply begrudgery. Do people actually know what 'begrudgery' is?

CJ2017

I believe Marc O'Se appeared in the team for the infamous 2006 Series, not the best advertisement for the game.
the only time he appeared for the team was that year and it was in Ireland, correct me if wrong please

I wonder if he ever traveled to Australia with an IR team maybe his opinion would have changed.

(saw this on Marty's twitter)
Marty Morrissey‏
@MartyM_RTE
Follow @MartyM_RTE
More
At the Irish Club the Irish and Irish Australians are now putting on a great Show for the Irish Football Team ! This means so much to the Irish people in Adelaide.  The value of International Rules Football cannot be underestimated !!

By the way its forecast to rain on Saturday (morning) and the game is looking like its on its way to be sold out going by tickemaster website
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/2017-virgin-australia-international-rules-series-subiaco-western-australia-18-11-2017/event/13005303F90485BE

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 13, 2017, 10:53:26 AM

Ability wise not to many players possess the skills he has but I agree his decision making does let him down although the biggest issue I have with him is the way he drifts out of games.

As far as the pure skills of the game he might be the most talented player out there. In terms of kicking the ball, Soloing the ball, fetching the ball. Does it all fluently at pace with both feet.

Decision making is often what separates good players from great players though. Some players can acquire it through experience. Some have it from a very young age. Some just never get it. Shane still takes the wrong option too often. Shoots when he should pass and vice versa. Think he's 23 now so time for him to be making a step up if he's ever going to make it.

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 13, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 13, 2017, 10:53:26 AM

As far as the pure skills of the game he might be the most talented player out there. In terms of kicking the ball, Soloing the ball, fetching the ball. Does it all fluently at pace with both feet.

Decision making is often what separates good players from great players though. Some players can acquire it through experience. Some have it from a very young age. Some just never get it. Shane still takes the wrong option too often. Shoots when he should pass and vice versa. Think he's 23 now so time for him to be making a step up if he's ever going to make it.
I thought it was execution of skills when under pressure that let him down at the weekend, moreso than taking the wrong option.
Gotta stick with him though, hugely talented.