Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Quote from: inisceithleann on April 06, 2009, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on April 05, 2009, 06:31:37 PM
SFL Division 1

Enniskillen Gaels 0-14 0-09 Derrygonnelly
Devenish 0-08 0-12 Tempo
Roslea 1-09 2-06 Belcoo

SFL Division 2

Aughadrumsee 0-07 2-10 Erne Gaels
Derrylin 0-13 1-14 Brookeboro
Lisnaskea 2-12 0-07 Coa

Good result for the Gaels, hopefully they'll have a good run in the league, it has been their downfall come the championship the last few seasons. Suprising enough result, Tempo beating Devenish. Looking at Division 2, it appears 'Skea should make a swift return to Division 1, while Erne Gaels could also make a strong push for promotion.

Newtownbutler 1-10 1-7 St. Josephs
St. Patricks 0-11 1-7 Teemore

Kinawley 2-11 2-9 Irvinestown

Above are the other results I didn't have yesterday evening.

An excellent win for the Gaels yesterday. On paper they have the strongest team in the league and if they have the right attitude, there is no reason why they couldn't do well in the league and championship. Tempo will be happy with an away win in Garrison. With the two Keenans, Damien Kelly and Rory Foy, they have the potential to be very competitive in division one.

Division two will be very tight this year. Skea will probably go straight back up with Boro, Kinawley, Irvinestown and maybe even Erne Gaels fighting it out for second place.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Superstar

Sorry to hijack youre thread lads, but here goes:

Hi there folks,

With the championship just around the corner, from now on in you will see various fantasy football competitions springing up, myself and a few other memebrs of our club have taken it upon ourselves to run a competition of our own as a fundraiser. Hopefully we will get alot of interest in it, weve kept the entry fee reasonably low, its a pretty straight forward competition, all the rules, scoring chart, and player lists ect can be found on our website, so why not have a nosey at it. I hope when you are deciding upon which of the competitions available to enter you will give us a thought, we may not have a flashy website with all the graphics, but in entering this competition, you will be supporting one of youre very own clubs. If you have any queries about the competition you can email me at clannnabanna@hotmail.co.uk

To view the competition just log on to clannnabanna.down.gaa.ie and click on the competitions link

Many thanks, i hope we can look forward to youre support.
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

FermPundit

Wexford Lose Model Look - Sunday Tribune

An interesting article. I'm not sure what to make of it

Ewan MacKenna

Last year's surprise packet in the championship have failed to build on those exploits by taking their preparations to the next level in this year's league

April, and some door knocking reveals that most in the neighbourhood are busy with the housekeeping. Except Jason Ryan that is because he doesn't have a house to keep anymore. Instead, eight months after building a mansion to call his own and taking Wexford to the last four of the All Ireland for the first time since 1945, he's standing atop a pile of rubble, sifting through what little remains. All around him has crumbled to such an extent that their year is already over. Early-season form shouldn't put an end to a season's ambitions but early-season form has rarely been this catastrophic.

Eight games down in 2009 and Wexford have lost them all. Emphatically. In their six league defeats to date they've conceded an overwhelming average of 21 points a game – that's more than the county's hurlers and in football only Kilkenny have taken more bullets at the back. In those same league outings they've averaged just 10 points a game – outside of the gutter of Division Four, only Westmeath have been more aimless. And when it comes to scoring difference, they are only cushioned by Kilkenny. All this just a year on from finishing Division Three with the best scoring difference in the land and a year on from a league final against today's opposition that announced that both Wexford and Fermanagh were going to hang with the cooler kids.

That day there was a trophy on offer. Today the small slice of confidence is worth much more to a couple of sides who started the year eyeing up two of the easiest championship draws possible. The problem was that Wexford did little else constructive and that was the beginning of their demise. It's well-known that several county sides broke the ban on intercounty training through the latter part of last year and the majority tested the boundaries by working in small groups and in the gym. But in Wexford, a boot wasn't laced between that defeat to Tyrone in August and the O'Byrne Cup in January. Ryan has repeatedly dredged up the rule-breaking of others but showed himself to be naïve in his judgement. However a bigger problem was that the players were only too willing to exploit that same judgement. They started the race to September a few yards off the pace and didn't bother trying to catch up either collectively or on their own.

"There was an overconfidence the minute last year's championship was up," says one source close to the team. "They were celebrating, but they never asked themselves what it was they were celebrating. Granted it was a great season but there was nothing won and with Dublin, Meath and Westmeath all on the other side of the draw in Leinster, there was the chance to get back to a Leinster final, kick on, win something. Instead there was little work done and a complete lack of ambition was shown by some players. Last year they found out they were good enough but that was enough for them. They thought it would just happen from now on rather than working hard and showing they were capable of getting back and challenging."

Some things were unavoidable. Nature caught up with Colm Morris in the pace department. Defenders finally realised that to halt PJ Banville, you need to get out in front. Redmond Barry went travelling. A full-back better than Phillip Wallace never sprouted anywhere in the county. But a handful of casualties never wiped out a species and some of the panel found excuses too easy to come by.

Certain players complained that the county board turned down a €22,000 training trip to Portugal when they had already been sent to Spain on holidays despite a poor financial situation. Others bemoaned the lack of work available when jobs had been turned down. They even exploited the closeness to manager Jason Ryan – built up because of his young age and stunning first-season success – and used it as a lever to get lazy and that's exactly why Ryan met with his management team a couple of weeks back before hauling in his players for a meeting that stretched out for hours.

Too little, too late for 2009 and for that the players must take the majority of the blame because, first off, the manager's methods have been proven sound in the past. When Ryan helped out Clongeen in 2007, he was unable to give them more than a handful of nights before their opening championship game and they lost. Before their second outing he went on his honeymoon and they went nought and two. After that he committed and they won a county title. That's the quality of the coach and they've been given every chance away from that as well.

Some years ago Barry Kirwan (Wexford footballer in the '90s) was talking to Mick Caulfield (Wexford footballer in the '80s) about why he gave up training the Wexford team. His reply? "I just couldn't walk through that f**kin' big puddle at the gates of Patrick's Park anymore." But before Ryan came along, the Enniscorthy venue had been revamped and the foundations had been laid for the future.

Early last season with Fermanagh going well in the league, their manager Malachy O'Rourke admitted he was no miracle worker. "I would never think that I have a magic wand. I just think you have to try to create an environment where players are motivated, where they know they have to work hard and understand the sacrifices that have been made for them. It's about setting standards and putting everything in place for them to succeed." But some players in Wexford refused to see that and it's why they are now down and out. Some players in Fermanagh refused to see that as well and it's why a panel that were given 10 footballs each last year for just being part of the set up were denied a meal the Tuesday after a heavy defeat to Kildare. It's why O'Rourke had to call in Tommy McElroy for a lengthy meeting this month about where things were going wrong as well.

Not quite as severe as last season's other breakthrough team, but Fermanagh are already relegated and while they too are missing key players in Shane McCabe, Ryan McCluskey and Mark Murphy, they also can't use it as an excuse to defend a spiral that began in the Ulster final replay last year. The Fermanagh county board have gone out of their way to make this group a success and in O'Rourke they have a manager that guided Loup, Errigal Ciaran and Cavan Gaels to county titles.

During that same interview last year, O'Rourke spoke of his county's past. "I was at the 1982 Ulster final. Had my flag and all with me and like everyone I remember the goal and like everybody I was sure we were going to win. I was only about 15 and I'll never forget the disappointment leaving that day. Walking down the street afterwards on the way back home, I remember a fella from Cavan more or less saying that's the end of you guys. I was determined, thinking we'd be back again, but that was just a dream. Maybe some of the older folk there realised that."

From then on, O'Rourke's county used to crumble under pressure like a wet cardboard box. With the cracks already beginning to appear now, his players need to turn things around today or they could end up just like their opponents. In ruins.

FermGael

A load of horsesh1t.
He is quoting O'Rourke from 2008.   Very poor effort.

You would think accurate quotes from this year would be must.

The bit about each member of the panel being given 10 footballs last year is just not true.

QuoteIt's why O'Rourke had to call in Tommy McElroy for a lengthy meeting this month about where things were going wrong as well.

Tommy has been our best player in a disappointing league campaign.  Not a man who should be criticised for his performances.
Bringing him in for a meeting would have nothing to do with the fact he is vice captain, would it now  ::)   
Very poor effort at journalism.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on April 12, 2009, 06:33:46 PM
A load of horsesh1t.
He is quoting O'Rourke from 2008.   Very poor effort.

You would think accurate quotes from this year would be must.

The bit about each member of the panel being given 10 footballs last year is just not true.

QuoteIt's why O'Rourke had to call in Tommy McElroy for a lengthy meeting this month about where things were going wrong as well.

Tommy has been our best player in a disappointing league campaign.  Not a man who should be criticised for his performances.
Bringing him in for a meeting would have nothing to do with the fact he is vice captain, would it now  ::)  
Very poor effort at journalism.

I completely agree. The journalist is trying to make out that are problems in the current set up. Pure rubbish.

ExiledGael

Seen an add for that in the IN yesterday and meant to buy the paper. Glad I didn't, that is as poor an effort as I've read in a long long time.

Anyway on to today. Looks like O'Rourke is also interested in seeing Blobby at full-forward. He got 1-3 today two frees I think and a goal that was a fisted effort on a long ball from Mark Little. Daryl Keenan also got 1-3 but none from play. Goal was a penalty in last five to level then Little got a point. Colm Morris equalised for them injury time though. Micky Jones also managed a point from the full-back line. Overall a disappointing result though they had scored five points without reply before we hit the goal (for a foot block by keeper as Tommy McElroy was through on goal). Ryan Keenan hit two points from play though.
Eamon Maguire was out with shoulder injury and when you add that to Womble, Owens, Marty, Clucker maybe it wasn't such a bad display. Probably our five best players over the last few years.

FermPundit

There's no point dwelling on the league. It's over with. If the players regroup and work hard at training, there's no reason why we can't beat Down next month.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 12, 2009, 07:35:02 PM
Seen an add for that in the IN yesterday and meant to buy the paper. Glad I didn't, that is as poor an effort as I've read in a long long time.

Anyway on to today. Looks like O'Rourke is also interested in seeing Blobby at full-forward. He got 1-3 today two frees I think and a goal that was a fisted effort on a long ball from Mark Little. Daryl Keenan also got 1-3 but none from play. Goal was a penalty in last five to level then Little got a point. Colm Morris equalised for them injury time though. Micky Jones also managed a point from the full-back line. Overall a disappointing result though they had scored five points without reply before we hit the goal (for a foot block by keeper as Tommy McElroy was through on goal). Ryan Keenan hit two points from play though.
Eamon Maguire was out with shoulder injury and when you add that to Womble, Owens, Marty, Clucker maybe it wasn't such a bad display. Probably our five best players over the last few years.

Where did you get your match report Exiled? I tried to get the match on radio with no success!

ExiledGael

Friend was at it. Some encouraging signs. If you look hard enough.

Caid

BY DAMIAN CAMPBELL

With the NFL now completed, the club league programme will move centre stage and over the coming weeks there will be an extended run of games before another break looms for the preparation for the Ulster championship game with Down on May 17th.

l BELCOO V NEWTOWNBUTLER

Both teams have made satisfactory starts, Belcoo with a decent away point claimed in Roslea, Newtown winning at home to newly promoted St Josephs. Of the two however it was the Belcoo performance which was the more noteworthy, an away point is always a bonus.

Newtown on the other hand took a long time to cope with the enthusiasm of Ederney and the First Fermanagh's cannot afford to be so slow to get going against a Belcoo side who have a big season ahead of them. If Belcoo in fact are to deliver on the undoubted potential that they possess, they need to show that in these kind of ties.

Getting the better of hugely experienced opposition on your own home turf is an essential to building a strong challenge. A very interesting clash here with Belcoo taken to shade it and serve notice that they will indeed by a force.

VERDICT: BELCOO WIN

l ST JOSEPHS V DERRYGONNELLY

Two teams who suffered opening day defeats so a little dollop of pressure already has appeared for both. St Josephs will have been somewhat encouraged by their effort against Newtown though they did fall away considerably in the second half. If they are to survive, the Ederney team have to produce the goods on home soil so this first home test is of particular importance to them.

A second defeat and immediately the alarm bells would be ringing that they could be heading into an all too familiar pattern experienced by newly promoted teams.

Derrygonnelly, despite the fact that they were championship finalists last season, are not quite the presence they were a few seasons back. In their opening assignment they shipped a heavy enough defeat to Enniskillen.

The Harps, like most other clubs will be looking to the game against this opposition as one where points simply have to be scooped up. They might find it a particularly difficult test and it would not be a major surprise if in fact they were to fail here. St Josephs will be coming into this game with steely determination and for them this is an especially important home tie.

VERDICT: ST JOSEPHS WIN

l TEMPO V ROSLEA

Tempo would have been more than pleased with their away victory over league holders Devenish so their confidence will be high for the season's opening home contest. The Maguires will be hopeful too that they may have a fuller hand to select from, so all in all, they should be optimistic that they can chalk up another success.

But of course they would need to keep themselves grounded and not permit all the positive points derail the commitment they will have to produce on a continuous basis.

Roslea will not be arriving to simply fulfil the fixture. The Shamrocks have a more than competent panel of players and though they are just back in the top flight they are by no means a fresh faced outfit.

They have lots of experience on board and disappointed at dropping a home point first time out, they will be keen to compensate that with a result here.

Tidy, competitive contest looming, but Tempo, if they are to shape up as strong contenders, have to deliver a second success. The Maguires look to have the quality needed to edge a close tie.

Verdict: Tempo win.

l TEEMORE V DEVENISH

This is a hard one to call. Of the two sides it would be Teemore who would have taken more from the opening day defeat which both teams suffered. They came close to getting a result in Donagh, Devenish on the other hand collapsed in the final quarter of their home meeting with Tempo.

Devenish had built their league title success last season on the back of an impressive opening string of victories. Should they lose this game their grip on the title will have been considerably loosened.

And they might be heading into a second defeat. Teemore will be a very tough handful for the Blues and they will certainly need to produce a full sixty minutes if they are to emerge winners here. A very difficult afternoon ahead for Devenish and it is hard to see them getting anything from it.

Verdict: Teemore win

l ENNISKILLEN V ST PATRICKS

It is only very early days but Enniskillen have perhaps served up some indication that they could be heading for a league challenge of some substance. They more or less overwhelmed Derrygonnelly over the closing thirty minutes in round one with a tasty attacking display. But it had taken them half an hour to rouse themselves.

St Patricks will present the Gaels with a tougher test, one suspects, for the Donagh team have a sturdier look about them. Midfield a key area here. If Shane McDermott can establish a St Patrick 's platform and thus channel in a steady supply to a forward line centred around Gary and Eamon Maguire plus Pat Cadden, then Enniskillen will be pushed to the pin of their collar to squeeze out a win. Not a lot to separate them, with a hesitant vote going to the Gaels, primarily because they are on their home turf.

VERDICT: ENNISKILLEN WIN

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

FermGael

SFL 1

Belcoo    2-9   2-9   Newtownbutler          
St. Joe's    1-4   0-17   Derrygonnelly       
Tempo    0-9   1-8   Roslea          
Teemore    1-9   1-9   Devenish          

SFL 2

Aughadrumasee    0-6   0-13   Irvinestown          
Erne Gaels            0-16   1-7   Coa    Erne Gaels

That's all i have so far.  Enniskillen play St Pat's at 6.

Caid

15/20 mins gone in 2nd half Gaels match

Enk 2-6 St Pats 1-6

McCluskey and N Keenan off for the Gaels. Both for two yellows

FermGael

Finished a draw.
Gaels 2-7 St Pat's 1-10.

Was not at the match but i hear Mccluskey's second yellow card was very harsh. Would not be like Fergal to make a mess of a decision ::)
Good result for the Gaels considering they played most of the second half with 13 men.