Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Going to be interesting watching out for the McKenna Cup games tomorrow. Any Tyrone win will likely see us top the group and into the semis, unless they somehow overturn a 26 point differential to us. Who knows how they'll play though, if they're still on holiday mode, or if they're annoyed by that result on Tuesday night. They should be up for Armagh anyway. Anyway, it would be great for the lads to get another game before the league to really see where we are.

Looks like Monaghan are already through, the winner of Donegal and Antrim will go through as group winner there, and likely Derry if they beat Fermanagh. So it'll be a tough semi if things do swing our way with Tyrone beating Armagh, so bring it on. A good tough game is what's wanted before we visit Leitrim.

skeog

Two chances of Cavan qualifying slim and none.Tyrone couldnt give a toss about the MCK cup unlike previous regime.

Itchy

Quote from: skeog on January 14, 2022, 10:30:26 AM
Two chances of Cavan qualifying slim and none.Tyrone couldnt give a toss about the MCK cup unlike previous regime.

They might give a toss about losing to Armagh in their own patch as returning All Ireland Champions though?

Dreadnought

Quote from: skeog on January 14, 2022, 10:30:26 AM

Hardly slim and none. Tyrone are proud, and that beating will hurt them. And they hate Armagh. They're now home nearly a week, will likely have more personnel available and a week of training behind them. They'll have cleared some cobwebs. They'll want a performance as it's their last game before the league. There is a chance they could win, and hopefully they do it and we get through.

Westside

Good win for Denn. I thought Brendan's looked excellent at the start but they quickly faded and Denn played better, smarter football.

Gneeveguilla up next. They were Munster Intermediate Champions a decade ago and hammered the Tipp champions in the Munster final. Could be a tough day at the office for Denn.

rodney trotter

The structure in Kerry means their clubs dominate Munster Intermediate and Junior.  There is 64 clubs in Kerry but just 8 play Senior Championship, with another 8 teams of Amalgamations.

The 9th best team in Kerry plays in Intermediate, when realistically 12 to 16 teams should be in their Senior Championship. But each County board has their own way of setting things up. Sean kelly passed that structure.

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 18, 2022, 05:38:51 PM
The structure in Kerry means their clubs dominate Munster Intermediate and Junior.  There is 64 clubs in Kerry but just 8 play Senior Championship, with another 8 teams of Amalgamations.

The 9th best team in Kerry plays in Intermediate, when realistically 12 to 16 teams should be in their Senior Championship. But each County board has their own way of setting things up. Sean kelly passed that structure.

Think we're looking at this the wrong way, it's a good thing, not something to be annoyed about. Think it's a great structure and more should be looking at it as it has repeatedly worked for Kerry. It's how they have very strong players, and then very strong intermediate and junior teams. Not only are their intermediate champs the 9th best, but you've likely a fair selection of that team playing Senior for their region/amalgamation where they play against the best and learn from them. We should emulate that, not give out about it. We're also so stuck on club only mentality in Cavan, that we can't see the forest for the trees. They can still play club, while joining in with the amalgamation afterwards. That should be easily worked into our calendar here. It can only let us get stronger and have better equipped players for the County team.

But anyway, yes, will be a tough test for Denn, but they're going well. And while they were Intermediate Champs in Munster 10 or so years ago, they've clearly fallen down the grades to Junior since. So while they'll be very good and tough, it's not like Denn don't have a chance. They're playing very well too

rodney trotter

It is a good structure but its a very win at all cost structure.  There is more then 8 teams capable of playing Senior in Kerry.

And Kerry have been doing it for years ,so wouldn't be easy to emulate it in Cavan.  In kerry they are proud of their regional areas, North  West  Mid ,South, East.  I don't think that players in Cavan would have that same gra to with a amalgamationafter being knocked out with the club.

With the split season maybe they could trial  regional leagues in Cavan without County players?

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 21, 2022, 11:34:32 AM
It is a good structure but its a very win at all cost structure.  There is more then 8 teams capable of playing Senior in Kerry.

And Kerry have been doing it for years ,so wouldn't be easy to emulate it in Cavan.  In kerry they are proud of their regional areas, North  West  Mid ,South, East.  I don't think that players in Cavan would have that same gra to with a amalgamationafter being knocked out with the club.

With the split season maybe they could trial  regional leagues in Cavan without County players?

You'd swear Kerry won every all Ireland going. They don't. This is a very Kerry specific set up that doesn't exist anywhere else. I dont believe it would work in Cavan. Tyrone are all ireland champions, Dublin before that. What do they do. We have amalgamated the arse out of our minor club teams yet our minor county team have been hopeless for years.

rodney trotter

Clubs are too obsessed with Amalgamations underage in Cavan.  It brings on players playing Division 1, but a lot of players are missing out. It would benefit some clubs to go on their own and try and win  a Division 3 title then Amalgamating in Division 1

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2022, 01:05:54 PM

You'd swear Kerry won every all Ireland going. They don't. This is a very Kerry specific set up that doesn't exist anywhere else. I dont believe it would work in Cavan. Tyrone are all ireland champions, Dublin before that. What do they do. We have amalgamated the arse out of our minor club teams yet our minor county team have been hopeless for years.

I never actually mentioned Kerry dominating at County level. The point was about their dominance in Junior and Intermediate level.Which is helped with so few Senior teams

Munster Junior winners https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Junior_Club_Football_Championship
Intermediate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Intermediate_Club_Football_Championship

Cavan away to Monaghan in the U20 Ulster Championship.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 22, 2022, 05:23:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2022, 01:05:54 PM

I never actually mentioned Kerry dominating at County level. The point was about their dominance in Junior and Intermediate level.Which is helped with so few Senior teams

Munster Junior winners https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Junior_Club_Football_Championship
Intermediate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_Intermediate_Club_Football_Championship

Cavan away to Monaghan in the U20 Ulster Championship.

I wasn't arguing with you, just pointing out Kerrys system won't work in Cavan and at end of the day they are not Irelands strongest county anymore. The win so much jnr and intermediate as they pretty much cheat the system by how they set up their championships as you've pointed out. Maybe in cavan we could have 4 teams senior playing each other home and away twice, then 4 intermediate doing the same and throw the rest into junior. We'd be racking up the intermediate and junior titles then. (A joke)

rodney trotter

Hopefully Denn give a good account of themselves next week, but the Kerry team seem nailed on for the All Ireland.

Westside

Any word if there was a Challenge game at the weekend?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on January 25, 2022, 01:41:08 PM
Any word if there was a Challenge game at the weekend?

Was about to ask myself. Would be very surprised if there wasn't as everyone will be mad for games, but haven't heard anything myself.