Joe Brolly has discussion with Jamie Bryson

Started by imtommygunn, October 31, 2021, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 29, 2021, 09:57:04 AM
Very uncomfortable viewing indeed when he talked about his horrible child hood at the boarding school in Armagh and how his aunt told him we shouldn't have sent him there.
Hard to watch him crying about the abuse.
Thought Tommy handled it well and moved on.
What took Joe to school in Armagh when there were plenty of good schools nearer hand?

Targetman

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 29, 2021, 09:57:04 AM
Very uncomfortable viewing indeed when he talked about his horrible child hood at the boarding school in Armagh and how his aunt told him we shouldn't have sent him there.
Hard to watch him crying about the abuse.
Thought Tommy handled it well and moved on.
I understood he was talking about being abused when aged 5 or 6 and close to home.
And the Aunt had said to Joe, 'we should have taken you out of there'.

Dire Ear

tbrick18

Quote from: Main Street on December 29, 2021, 12:29:32 AM
That was a very good interview with Joe on  VM by Tommy Martin,  I don't know if there has been a better one this year.  Tommy was just perfect, stayed in the background, kept the questions  to a minimum, just prodded Joe in a direction and listened to him expressing his raw to the bone complex of emotions and memories. That was Joe unplugged, stripped bare and honest.

Anywhere this can seen MainStreet?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Targetman on December 29, 2021, 11:38:33 AM
He was sent to board in Armagh
I know that but I'm curious as to why people send their children to boarding school. I get that it's a thing amongst the posh in England but find it strange for someone who grew up in Dungiven.

Rossfan

Perception of better education, keep them from mischief,  prepare them for possible Priesthood, make them better footballers, show off to neighbours that you are richer than them.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lenny

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2021, 01:15:49 PM
Perception of better education, keep them from mischief,  prepare them for possible Priesthood, make them better footballers, show off to neighbours that you are richer than them.....

With his father inside it was probably to keep him away and insulate him from the troubles.

whitey

Quote from: Rossfan on December 29, 2021, 01:15:49 PM

Haha-all of the above

Funny how the fortunes of Mayo football improved dramatically when the best footballers no longer went to St Jarlath's

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 29, 2021, 12:39:04 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 29, 2021, 12:29:32 AM
That was a very good interview with Joe on  VM by Tommy Martin,  I don't know if there has been a better one this year.  Tommy was just perfect, stayed in the background, kept the questions  to a minimum, just prodded Joe in a direction and listened to him expressing his raw to the bone complex of emotions and memories. That was Joe unplugged, stripped bare and honest.

Anywhere this can seen MainStreet?
It's on the Virgin Media 2 player.

edit. -   doing a  search for Virgin media ireland. brings some interesting  results

Wildweasel74

2 Lad up the road from me were send to boarding in Armagh. Which was 25mile + away, far at the time for the late 1980's. 1 family thought their son was too good for anybody and the locals were a bad influence. She was correct on this point lol 😂. The other family holidayed all the time and it didn't suit him coming home every day for their lifestyle. Heard stories not overly good about boarding up in Armagh from the lads themselves. Bullying was rife and  a hammering part of the course.

Fuzzman

Yeah maybe I heard it wrong. Maybe he meant at home but he left it very vague.
I think he said he was an abused boy but didn't say in what way.
Could it just have been from what he saw at home from the troubles?

Snapchap

If you want a textbook example of the reason Catholics in the north, almost universally, regard the south as having ignored them/let them down, just listen to this short clip of Eamonn McCann speaking about how the Bloody Sunday families were treated by the establishment in the south in "around 1990" as part of their campaign for truth and justice:

https://twitter.com/DanielCollins85/status/1267451641600659458?t=qhHsRdSFRcyT1zns9K5ipQ&s=19

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Joe never passed as a typical Dungiven lad/man. He be the only guy out of Dungiven who wouldn't have cut you in two on the football field, on the team he played on they been fairly sturdy with the odd animal on it. He stood out as stylish but needed that vicous streak all the rest of them had on the field.