O'Byrne Cup 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

Kildare Wednesday night !

The PRO

Robbo

Lillies seem to think its Portlaoise or Stradbally.

The PRO

Really enjoyed the first half. Some good football from both teams. Third quarter was poor fare and then a couple of well taken goals finished it.
Byron was very good in goals. Mohan, Trevor Collins and the other Collins U all very tight except when the lad slipped Trevor for their goal. Alan Farrell covered a lot of ground. Midfield was OK, nothing spectacular.
Cormac Murphy was a pleasant surprise. Very skilful. Game seemed to pass Dicey by but he has been injured for quite a while. Mark Barry, Evan, Sean Moore all class when introduced.
Kildare is a huge ask. They are well ahead of us in development. It will be an eye opener I think.

Chrimtain

Although Laois have used 34 players in the O'Byrne Cup thus far, we still haven't seen seven or eight who were also said to be part of the 40 plus panel in pre season training. Amongst those we have not seen tog out yet are the two Bennetts and Jake Foster of Portarlington. Another we have not seen is Donie Kingston. Does anyone know why we have not seen these guys yet? Are they still part of the panel? Might we see them against Kildare?

Spiritof86

Donie Kingston is part of the panel . He's been on the line the past two games .Think he's carrying an injury . Not sure what's going on with the Port lads . No sign of Paddy O yesterday also .

Silkyskillssunshinee

Full-forward line of Barry, O'Carroll and Moore has potential to do damage against Division 3 sides.
Good mixture of pace, power and scoring ability split between the three.

The PRO

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 16, 2022, 09:07:31 AM
Donie Kingston is part of the panel . He's been on the line the past two games .Think he's carrying an injury . Not sure what's going on with the Port lads . No sign of Paddy O yesterday also .
Paddy was there yesterday. Just rested.
Donie got married shortly before Christmas. He has trained I believe but you're possibly right that he may have a knock.

Spiritof86

Kildare match confirmed for 7:30 Carlow Wednesday night .

town1980

Let's not run away with yereselves Wicklow are scutter so we are still learning ,, acid test I think we will win

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 16, 2022, 07:12:51 PM
Kildare match confirmed for 7:30 Carlow Wednesday night .

Nice one Spirit, thanks
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Ballybrittas Boy

Quote from: town1980 on January 16, 2022, 11:11:54 PM
Let's not run away with yereselves Wicklow are scutter so we are still learning ,, acid test I think we will win
No one is running away with themselves. it's the O'Byrne Cup for Jaysus sake! I think Kildare will be a bit too strong for us on Wednesday night.

Laois Rising

Kildare motoring at the moment but then they need to be as they try survive in division 1 of league this year. It's a real bonus game to test some players again before the start of the league. Winning games breathes confidence into a step up. A week ago, posters on this forum were already writing their epitaphs to the Billy Sheehan reign. Two games later and there is a sense of optimism that he is building something meaningful that players have bought into. The bookies have taken note with Laois now second favourites for promotion from Division Three (granted away games to Louth and Fermanagh not easy). When you look at the other sides in the division (Cavan being relegated to division 4 a real bonus) we still should be there or there abouts by end of competition. Louth and Longford have had poor O'Byrne Cup campaigns while Fermanagh easily beaten at home by Derry at weekend. 

Also, Ross Munnelly's performances in the O'Byrne games have not been acknowledged. I know some posters would prefer if he walked away but he has been excellent so far and as long as he is performing to the level required then we are lucky to have him. He is there on merit, it is up to the younger forwards coming through to step up to the mark and displace him. 

SCFC

Good point about Ross. I know "it's only the O'Byrne Cup" is a cliché by now but he's done nothing wrong either in Wexford or against Wicklow. He also is a brilliant lad to have in the dressing room, always positive and he's flying fit still.
Billy is going to have to cut a few players shortly. It's probably a horrible job but you'll also have a few lads who will walk away themselves. Feel sorry for Cathal Doyle of B Abbey. He got injured right before the Wexford game and he has missed valuable game time.
No idea what's going on with Jake Foster and the Bennetts.
A few lads have definitely come in and done well in the OBC and probably secured a place on the panel. Fennessy, Daly, Collins (Courtwood version not Trevor), Moore, Mohan, Finn, Kelly have surely all done enough. Pauric Dunne, Dylan Kavanagh and possibly Cormac Murphy should also have a decent chance of being kept.
There's a few others we didn't see much of. Joey Shelly, Adam Campion, Connall Brennan, Liam Senior, Dylan Doyle, Cian Doyle. Not sure what way some of them were with Covid and/or injury.

redsetanta

Best of luck to Laois this evening. A tough encounter in store as Kildare will be better than what they've faced so far. It will be a decent indicator as to where we are even if it is the O'Byrne cup.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi