Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

Quote from: upandwin on August 16, 2021, 09:43:55 AM
Cracking game in Warrenpoint tonight, CPN v Burren. Things starting to heat up in the league over the last week or so. I'm sure Clonduff will be hoping for a Burren win tonight, they'll fancy themselves for the league title again this year after winning last year's final.

Match Ups will be interesting...both teams have been very hot and cold in the league. CPN normally struggle against the defensive systems and Burren are going as defensive as I've ever seen them in my time watching them. The U20s could be the difference tonight for Burren, if Danny Magill and young Murdock step up tonight they will be hard to beat.

Can't wait for this one...

Clonduff will surely be too strong for a Carryduff side that have a lengthy trip down to Hilltown?
Match Ups will be interesting...both teams have been very hot and cold in the league. CPN normally struggle against the defensive systems and Burren are going as defensive as I've ever seen them in my time watching them. The U20s could be the difference tonight for Burren, if Danny Magill and young Murdock step up tonight they will be hard to beat.

A lot will depend on the team Warrenpoint field, they still looked to be missing a few of their first choice players from last year against the Bridge on Friday night. Would fancy Burren for the win tonight,

Mourne Red

Leftmidfield

I was at the game tonight. Couldn't of called with 10 minutes to go. The point just about deserved to win.
Kerr very effective. Some strange refereeing decisions for BOTH sides.

Johnnysboys

A very good game for the neutral tonight.. I felt we just about deserved the win in the end.. With big Seàn O'Hare punching a great goal just going into added time - there was a huge relief among the faithful that we held on for the win in the end.. This used to be such a massive thing for our club - now it's just what happens!!! I thought Cormac McCartan was immense as was Ruairi McCormick - two lads that should def be playing intercounty senior football next year.. The Burren subs bench are hard to listen to - should concentrate on the game rather than abusing the referee for every call.. We are now the only unbeaten team in the division and can hopefully push on in the next few games in preparation for the championship.

Centre 3/4

A big win for Carryduff in Hilltown too, 10 point win after being 3 down at the half

upandwin

What a brilliant game in Moygannon last night. Honestly a credit to both teams and a huge crowd to boost. Strange game as I thought Warrenpoint were brilliant for the first 30mins against a hard wind and went in 3pts up. Burren came out the hungrier second half and quickly closed the gap. Burren have strong runners all over the pitch and looked very dangerous for spells. The only thing is that they are a bit predictable, it's literally just 'give the ball to Liam Kerr and see what happens'...Most matchups were pretty 50/50 and the result could've gone either way tbf...

Warrenpoint missing a few notable players, not sure if Burren were full out but seemed like they were. Previous poster mentioned Burren giving off to the ref, not sure how that could be the case...genuinely thought the referee was horrendous throughout but definitely gave CPN nothing...Lots of soft, scorable free kicks given to Burren for the slightest of infractions...It's so frustrating to see that one week you can have a referee let play go and allow loads of hits and physicality (proper order) and yet the following week, every slight touch (or in some cases just a shoulder to shoulder) is blown for a free. Anyways...shouldn't complain as I wouldn't have the balls to stand in the middle with a whistle myself but it is frustrating the lack of consistency across the board.

Last night was as good a game as I've seen this season, heart attack stuff at the end for both sets of supporters. Have to say as well both teams obviously respect each other...no s**t or sledging or crying, just two good sides going at each other start to finish.

Championship is there for a number of teams this year for the first time in a decade. Magpies the slight favourites, CPN, Clonduff, Bridge and Burren all in with a chance and all can beat each other on any given night.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 16, 2021, 11:34:48 PM
A very good game for the neutral tonight.. I felt we just about deserved the win in the end.. With big Seàn O'Hare punching a great goal just going into added time - there was a huge relief among the faithful that we held on for the win in the end.. This used to be such a massive thing for our club - now it's just what happens!!! I thought Cormac McCartan was immense as was Ruairi McCormick - two lads that should def be playing intercounty senior football next year.. The Burren subs bench are hard to listen to - should concentrate on the game rather than abusing the referee for every call.. We are now the only unbeaten team in the division and can hopefully push on in the next few games in preparation for the championship.

As a neutral, i was over at the dugout side in Moygannon last and to tell you the truth both dugouts were mouths. If the players shouting were that good they should be playing!

Onto the game, Point started the better but Burren worked themselves into the game and near the end had plenty of chances to go ahead. CPN is a seasoned team and their experience showed at the end. Kilcoo won't be too worried as they are still a small bit ahead of the chasing pack which from what I saw this year are Burren, Point, Bridge, and Clonduff.
Although Carryduff had a big result in Hilltown, any reports from there as i expected Clonduff to win?  For all the money Burren has thrown at their management they are not firing on all cylinders but they are blooding a few young players so they won't panic at the minute.
That some some win for Glenn against the RGU, divison 2 is going to go to the wire.

general

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 17, 2021, 09:21:48 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 16, 2021, 11:34:48 PM

As a neutral, i was over at the dugout side in Moygannon last and to tell you the truth both dugouts were mouths. If the players shouting were that good they should be playing!

Onto the game, Point started the better but Burren worked themselves into the game and near the end had plenty of chances to go ahead. CPN is a seasoned team and their experience showed at the end. Kilcoo won't be too worried as they are still a small bit ahead of the chasing pack which from what I saw this year are Burren, Point, Bridge, and Clonduff.
Although Carryduff had a big result in Hilltown, any reports from there as i expected Clonduff to win?  For all the money Burren has thrown at their management they are not firing on all cylinders but they are blooding a few young players so they won't panic at the minute.

That some some win for Glenn against the RGU, divison 2 is going to go to the wire.

Glenn were excellent value for their 2 points

Truth hurts

Will Ballyholland and Mayobridge be worth going to tonight?

upandwin

Ballyholland will give them a game I think...they have some very good forwards to be fair to them. Is John McGovern playing GAA? See he is back with Newry so not sure if he's available for the Harps atm...

Fancy Mayobridge to beat them by 3/4pts but don't think it'll be as one-sided as people think...

Johnnysboys

Why do Ballyholland play with such a chip on their shoulder?? They have great players individually but collectively they are not getting the best from each other.. That was shambolic tonight from them but in fairness Mayobridge were worth the victory. I honestly thought with his pedigree and underage reports that Tiernan Rushe would be a county player by now but plays with such a lack of discipline in his game it detracts from the obvious talent he has.

Smurfy123

Truth hurts

The match last night was a really dour affair especially in the first half whereby Ballyholland was trying to stop the flow of the Mayobridge attack and hit on the break. In the second period once the Bridge got the goal it opened up for them and they should have won by more and capped off a solid performance with a few more goals. It was an aggressive niggly derby game but the Bridge had too much legs for them and look to be in good nick. I can't see them beating Kilcoo in the championship but I don't think they will steamroll them either.

I see Burren are down to play Rostrevor tonight, they should win that one.

Any rumours about vacant senior football championship post?

upandwin

What a terrible game of football...Ballyholland kicked a few scorable chances wide and coughed the ball up so often to the Bridge. They leave one man up on his own, felt sorry for young Murtagh as he was isolated with little or no service...

Harps never looked like they believed they could win that game and were just trying to keep the score down...which they didn't. Also, the young McGovern lad wasn't playing and that's a huge miss for them, wonder will he be available for championship? Massive loss if he's not...

Mayobridge won by 10 in second gear...they will fancy themselves for a big year ahead. I think they are maybe one forward short of really troubling Kilcoo...very reliant on Cory Quinn. Big and strong around the middle 8, Kilcoo will need a real plan for the kickouts as that's the Bridge's main threat IMO

Burren will no doubt put out a seconds team tonight as they've two games in three days...They'll rest a lot of their big hitters but they have the strength and depth to do that and comfortably beat Rostrevor tonight...The Reds are a shadow of former teams in that club, wonder when the last time was they beat Burren...

Any word on candidates for new Down Manager? Would be great if they were appointed and able to see plenty of football in Down over the next two months as things start to ramp up...