The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 14, 2021, 11:28:55 AM
The anti Irish racism on display to defend rugby is sickening

As sickening as these type of shock jock posts?

tonto1888

Quote from: Look-Up! on November 14, 2021, 07:13:52 AM
Is there anything stopping qualifying players changing to their country of birth under the right circumstances?

E.g if the like of Lowe found himself back in NZ next year playing professional rugby and deemed good enough for AB's, could he switch?

He would have to not play for Ireland for 5 years I think. I believe there's a new rule

Look-Up!

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2021, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on November 14, 2021, 07:13:52 AM
Is there anything stopping qualifying players changing to their country of birth under the right circumstances?

E.g if the like of Lowe found himself back in NZ next year playing professional rugby and deemed good enough for AB's, could he switch?

He would have to not play for Ireland for 5 years I think. I believe there's a new rule
Ok thanks Tonto. No jumping ship so at least.

Wildweasel74

Sure England been the biggest offenders for yrs and look at how many teams and players they can pick on. They hover up any S Africans. Islanders. New Zealanders where they can. So it's hard to believe we complain about  some, New Zealanders and S Africans who done nothing but improve the Irish team. We be crying alot more with a full out Irish team get beat all the time.

yellowcard

It's a ludicrous rule but teams will exploit it to the maximum whilst it still exists. Players with absolutely no genealogical link to the country, just simply living and getting paid to play professionally there. It's an issue for rugby itself to solve but I don't see it changing anytime soon since there are so few countries who play the game at the highest level.

Imagine the outcry if the GAA brought in such a rule at intercounty level.   

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2021, 10:20:41 AM
Simon Zebo a generational star

And this here is the point at which the discussion jumped the shark.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

Great to see Doris doing so well. He had a difficult year last year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2021, 02:17:06 PM
It's a ludicrous rule but teams will exploit it to the maximum whilst it still exists. Players with absolutely no genealogical link to the country, just simply living and getting paid to play professionally there. It's an issue for rugby itself to solve but I don't see it changing anytime soon since there are so few countries who play the game at the highest level.

But it is there?

Hound

Some achievement for Leinster rugby to have 11 players who came through their academy start the Test match where the All Blacks were so comprehensively beaten. 

Thankfully the great policy of the IRFU keeps all those players in Ireland, and gives Leinster a genuine chance of being champions of Europe again.

Good to see experienced mighty men O'Mahony and Earls make important contributions off the bench.

In the last year or two Leinster haven't been dominating the Irish underage teams in the way they were 3-5 years ago, some exciting talent going to break through from the other provinces in the coming years.

Hopefully we'll see some experimentation with the line up for the Argies. Carberry will definitely be at 10, I'd love to see Casey at 9, but probably only fair to give Murray the start.

Mikhail Prokhorov

cannot compare irish soccer players brought up in england from irish families with the rugby situation.

if the soccer side start turning out brasil, argentina etc rejects then you could argue that it's the same  ::)

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 02:34:25 PM

But it is there?

Maybe you're right, Seanie Johnson instantly springs to mind!

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2021, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2021, 02:34:25 PM

But it is there?

Maybe you're right, Seanie Johnson instantly springs to mind!

No Sean Johnston was never a resident of Kildare.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on November 14, 2021, 03:18:47 PM
cannot compare irish soccer players brought up in england from irish families with the rugby situation.

if the soccer side start turning out brasil, argentina etc rejects then you could argue that it's the same  ::)

So Grealish, who hurled and played Gaelic football as a youngster, even played for Ireland youth soccer, those brought up in Irish families in England? Are they the ones you're talking about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Grealish was born in england brought up in england even played his gaa in england, so no, i dont think thats what hes on about at all mr2

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2021, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on November 14, 2021, 03:18:47 PM

So Grealish, who hurled and played Gaelic football as a youngster, even played for Ireland youth soccer, those brought up in Irish families in England? Are they the ones you're talking about?

What's yoir point here? He is diaspora, clearly has two national identities. He was happy to develop as part of the Irish youth setup but unfortunately the commercial reality hit and was driven home by his agent who regrets another player in Bale sticking with Wales. You win some you lose some.

It's ludicrous and racist to label kids born in England or Scotland to Irish parents who chose to play for Ireland as 'plastics'.  Outrageous and on a GAA board?