The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Would have one time meant a great deal to me to see Ireland beat the all blacks but the cancers at the heart of rugby just make this feel like a very empty occasion. It's cheapened in a lot of ways but at the core is the money and pure financial interest that now dominate the game.

The fact that more New Zealander's than Munster and ulstermen combined beat NZ today is a sad indictment of pro rugby. Likewise now that the kiwis have found a way to sell off the commercial rights of the haka can it really stir any emotions other than at best apathy or more appropriately embarrassment?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 13, 2021, 07:12:07 PM
Noticeabl thate all the Rugby team made some effort of singing Amhran na Bhfiann. A lot of the Irish soccer team stand there like its alien to them, and not just the English born players, Shane Duffy, Matt Doherty should go and learn the words.

I know the words of the Irish Anthem in English and Irish. I have plenty of friends who don't have a notion of the lyrics, but who I'd see take great pride in supporting the Irish Jersey in different codes. We don't go to the Aviva to see how good these lads are at singing.

I'd have no issue with Shane Duffy singing the Anthem, he more than puts in a solid shift anytime he puts on the Irish Jersey! That's what really matters!

Wildweasel74

Played well and should have won by more, but that's not a inch on the New Zealand teams 2011-15. Take on the all blacks having a drink during the week would say they don't take these games as serious as yesteryear, they barely seem to play England at all these days.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2021, 07:53:06 PM
Noticeabl thate all the Rugby team made some effort of singing Amhran na Bhfiann. A lot of the Irish soccer team stand there like its alien to them, and not just the English born players, Shane Duffy, Matt Doherty should go and learn the words.

I know the words of the Irish Anthem in English and Irish. I have plenty of friends who don't have a notion of the lyrics, but who I'd see take great pride in supporting the Irish Jersey in different codes. We don't go to the Aviva to see how good these lads are at singing.

I'd have no issue with Shane Duffy singing the Anthem, he more than puts in a solid shift anytime he puts on the Irish Jersey! That's what really matters!

I was watching the game from the TV so was hard to miss it with the camera going by each player. Of course Duffy puts in a shift, doesn't mean he couldn't try and sing...

dublin7

Quote from: trileacman on November 13, 2021, 07:46:01 PM
Would have one time meant a great deal to me to see Ireland beat the all blacks but the cancers at the heart of rugby just make this feel like a very empty occasion. It's cheapened in a lot of ways but at the core is the money and pure financial interest that now dominate the game.

The fact that more New Zealander's than Munster and ulstermen combined beat NZ today is a sad indictment of pro rugby. Likewise now that the kiwis have found a way to sell off the commercial rights of the haka can it really stir any emotions other than at best apathy or more appropriately embarrassment?

What a bitter and stupid post. Seriously. Did you even watch the game?

James Lowe who was born in NZ but who has been playing/living in Ireland for years was brilliant for Ireland today. Anyone who actually watched the game couldn't question his passion and will to win in an Ireland jersey today.

The Irish football team under Charlton was full of players who weren't born in Ireland and rarely set foot in this country yet these players are deservedly respected and admired for what they did in an Ireland shirt.

It seems different rules apply to the rugby team. Maybe it's a class thing. I genuinely can't understand the bitterness some people have when the Irish rugby team are successful. You might not like the sport but as an Irish person surely you'd say well done and not complain about their victories

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 13, 2021, 06:57:06 PM
It's a friendly.

It'll be like getting excited beating Luxembourg, as that at this point is a friendly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Don't like this Soccer National team v Rugby National team comparisons. People making irrelevant comparisons and trying to pigeon hole both groups. Both have their merits and their faults. But in the main can offer great entertainment, great pride and are in decent role models to our youth. Both have encouraged female participation and forced this exposure to MSM. Because of the size of our nation and the huge hold Gaelic Games have both have to look outside the norm for players that will make both codes competitive.

rodney trotter

Quote from: dublin7 on November 13, 2021, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 13, 2021, 07:46:01 PM

What a bitter and stupid post. Seriously. Did you even watch the game?

James Lowe who was born in NZ but who has been playing/living in Ireland for years was brilliant for Ireland today. Anyone who actually watched the game couldn't question his passion and will to win in an Ireland jersey today.

The Irish football team under Charlton was full of players who weren't born in Ireland and rarely set foot in this country yet these players are deservedly respected and admired for what they did in an Ireland shirt.

It seems different rules apply to the rugby team. Maybe it's a class thing. I genuinely can't understand the bitterness some people have when the Irish rugby team are successful. You might not like the sport but as an Irish person surely you'd say well done and not complain about their victories

In fairness it does give the Country a lift , but James Lowe came to Leinster in 2017 with the aim of getting into the Irish team once he was eligible in 3 years. Bundee Aki was never in Ireland before he came to Connacht ,but is a warrior for Ireland.

The new 5 year residency rule will make it tougher, the Provinces will be looking at 17 or 18 years old for the Academy.

dublin7

Fair enough, but the Irish football team will pick a lad who has never set foot in Ireland, never gave a shit about Ireland, but he couldn't get a game for England and he has an Irish granny/grandad so all of a sudden he's Irish.

At least the rugby lads have to commit to playing in Ireland, living in Ireland and to play for the Irish rugby team they have to make themselves part of Irish society for 3 years (now it's 5)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rudi on November 13, 2021, 07:06:19 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 13, 2021, 06:39:37 PM
Best team in the world at peaking when nobody gives 2 shites

I hear what your saying, still better than losing. I can remember Ireland giving spirited performances against NZ in the past & still getting thumped by 30 odd points. Lads like Paul O Connell & BOD never were on teams that beat them. The followers of rugby in this country tend to be wannabe posh bell ends, however I really enjoyed that game this evening, lifted my spirits, even if NZ were under cooked. I was nervous enough watching it, although I didn't start spitting on my hands every 10 seconds ;D

Enjoyed it myself , but it is just a challenge match

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Very few from north know national anthem , i learnt it at Gaeltacht or id never have got opportunity. Didn't Hart get someone in to teach Tyrone team? No way McClean knows it , he thick as 2 planks , he's probably singing broad black brimmer or something instead

Olly

Great win over New Zealand. Them Kiwi bastards treated the Maoris badly. I cheered through the roof during the first touchdown for Ireland.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2021, 08:35:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 13, 2021, 06:57:06 PM
It's a friendly.

It'll be like getting excited beating Luxembourg, as that at this point is a friendly

Actually forgot they played portagal as us Derry wans like to call them. Once they were out lost interest

pbat

Since I was a kid I dreamt of being an All Black, that's just a very Kiwi thing to do.'I gave up that dream, I wasn't quite good enough when I was at my best almost. To be able to come over here and put in a performance against the best team in the world, they're the standard bearers, words can't describe it.

'To hear my native country's national anthem, to stand in front of the Haka, it's a childhood dream.

Lowe put a great shift in alright but his quote above sums up what these lads are thinking when they arrive. Surely we should be nurturing young lads at 18 or 19 for every position than using mercenaries. Then Zebo and others go to France for a few quid and are exiled.

And against the soccer argument there weren't good Irish born players missing out on squads or tournaments ahead of the Granny Lads so they were necessary at the time.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 13, 2021, 09:41:34 PM

Very few from north know national anthem , i learnt it at Gaeltacht or id never have got opportunity. Didn't Hart get someone in to teach Tyrone team? No way McClean knows it , he thick as 2 planks , he's probably singing broad black brimmer or something instead
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 13, 2021, 09:41:34 PM

It's the unofficial anthem (but not for long).