Leinster Minor Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vetoldthe

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 31, 2018, 03:10:17 PM
I was looking at Monaghan last night on TG4. They were huge for u17s. They looked like u21s.

And i was looking at Meath last night, there were huge to.

A kildare man that in the know, told me kildare are specially
picking Big players at a young age for there development squads
they may not be the best players at that time but with good
coaching they will improve over time, and that going on for the
last few years,  and there are now strong at senior, u20 and u17 and fair play to them.

Don Draper

Quote from: vetoldthe on July 31, 2018, 07:10:48 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on July 31, 2018, 03:10:17 PM
I was looking at Monaghan last night on TG4. They were huge for u17s. They looked like u21s.

And i was looking at Meath last night, there were huge to.

A kildare man that in the know, told me kildare are specially
picking Big players at a young age for there development squads
they may not be the best players at that time but with good
coaching they will improve over time, and that going on for the
last few years,  and there are now strong at senior, u20 and u17 and fair play to them.
Football is fucked so

Keyser Söze

Quote from: steven seagal on July 31, 2018, 02:53:23 PM
QuoteCounty board need to appoint an S&C coach to oversee all levels in both hurling and football.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, whether you want one S&C coach to implement a programme and be on-site for every squad in both codes, or someone to work with all the other S&C coaches and 'oversee' it in that regard?

It has often been said that one S&C coach should be appointed to take charge of all county teams directly, but I got chatting to an S&C coach a few years ago and asked him about that, and he said it's totally unfeasible. The workload would be enormous and it would be unrealistic to expect them to look after all squads in both codes, because they'd be working 7 nights a week.

What he put to me as the alternative is a High Performance Director, someone to co-ordinate between all the different coaches being used by the county teams, to make sure best practice is being implemented etc. They could dip in and out of each age group then, and when the county season is over then they would have more time to meet players or make sure they are sticking to whatever programme they are on.

Again, that all sounds great written down, but finding the money to pay someone and finding the right candidate would be tricky. You'd need someone with a background in nutrition or diet as well, because that's a big part of a proper S&C regime too. We definitely need to up our game on that aspect of development squads though, it's frightening to see the difference between Laois players and Dublin/Kildare/Meath at minor level in football. It's almost reckless to be sending some of our lads out to try compete with them.

100% correct. It would be like expecting the GDAs to prepare the Laois U15/17/21 intercounty teams.
I think a formal link in with Carlow IT is the way to go. I'm sure M. Dempsey would be willing to help set this up. We have lots of 3rd level students going in there every year. Target the handful that are proficient but not playing intercounty themselves. Tie them in pairs in with development squads. Decent pocket money on offer. Latest thinking and access to first rate facilities for testing etc 1/2 times per year.
By all means appoint a Director of High Performance who is able to differentiate between the needs of hurling and football.
But let's make use of intelligent, skilled and trained young people at 3rd level. Rather than paying them to babysit at summer camps!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Oblivious

Its worth noting that the current Minor squad had 12 under 16's on the panel.
During the recent round of matches against Wexford, Carlow and Wicklow only
a limited number of these players were playing for the under 16's. I cant comment on
the other county's but on Saturday all the Wicklow minors were down with their
age group. Laois had 4 subs and Wicklow had 15 sitting in their dug out. Bear in mind
its a development squad but in the recent matches you are not comparing apples
with Apples in results as it has been a depleted squad. The Fr Manning competition
in September will be a true reflection of where that age grading is. The same applies to the
Minor squad , the size and strength of other counties is significantly bigger than Laois but
some of the larger counties have the numbers to have 60-80 players on development squads and then
whittle them down to 30. You also are running two development squads for Hurling and
Football and other counties may not have the same challenges.Most of the other counties
at minor level would be running 15 players age 17 where Laois would have a mixture
of 16 and 17 year olds.       

SCFC

Quote from: Oblivious on August 01, 2018, 09:51:49 AM
Its worth noting that the current Minor squad had 12 under 16's on the panel.
During the recent round of matches against Wexford, Carlow and Wicklow only
a limited number of these players were playing for the under 16's. I cant comment on
the other county's but on Saturday all the Wicklow minors were down with their
age group. Laois had 4 subs and Wicklow had 15 sitting in their dug out. Bear in mind
its a development squad but in the recent matches you are not comparing apples
with Apples in results as it has been a depleted squad. The Fr Manning competition
in September will be a true reflection of where that age grading is. The same applies to the
Minor squad , the size and strength of other counties is significantly bigger than Laois but
some of the larger counties have the numbers to have 60-80 players on development squads and then
whittle them down to 30. You also are running two development squads for Hurling and
Football and other counties may not have the same challenges.Most of the other counties
at minor level would be running 15 players age 17 where Laois would have a mixture
of 16 and 17 year olds.     
Thanks for that. A bit of context. But no denying we have a lot of catching up to do in coaching and development.