Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Eire90 on January 03, 2020, 01:32:05 AM
What does mcshane work as here in ireland maybe that was not enough to keep him in ireland

Currently works for Donnelly Group as far as I know. Even if Tyrone were the best team in the country with a management team of Jim Gavin and Mick O'Dwyer in charge he'd be mad to turn the opportunity down.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: God14 on January 02, 2020, 10:39:20 PM
Any Tyrone manager worth half his salt, would visit Clonoe and a certain Mr McNulty

He is needed now more than ever

If we are being completely honest, his time for county football is pretty much over. What is he? Now mid 20s. The ship has sailed. Now I don't agree with it, if your good enough, what odds....but Tyrone Football doesn't tend to be kind to those on the wrong side of X age with regards to call ups.

GetOverTheBar

Has he proved himself at county level?

Lee Brennan is a legend in the club game, scored something ridiculous like 3-15 in one game. Has he set county level alight? Its a big step up, extremely rare for anyone in any county, let alone Tyrone where you seem to do an apprenticeship.

McNulty is a good player, of course. But to say he's the answer when, if we are perfectly honest - he hasn't put together a single whole year at Clonoe in maybe 3/4 years is just fanciful.

Not to mention McAliskey will be well fit to tell him what's in store - and he would even be a better choice to bring back.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: the_daddy on January 03, 2020, 09:59:22 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 03, 2020, 09:39:52 AM
Has he proved himself at county level?

Lee Brennan is a legend in the club game, scored something ridiculous like 3-15 in one game. Has he set county level alight? Its a big step up, extremely rare for anyone in any county, let alone Tyrone where you seem to do an apprenticeship.

McNulty is a good player, of course. But to say he's the answer when, if we are perfectly honest - he hasn't put together a single whole year at Clonoe in maybe 3/4 years is just fanciful.

Not to mention McAliskey will be well fit to tell him what's in store - and he would even be a better choice to bring back.
McNulty has been mentioned because people are looking a like for like replacement for McShane, presumably because of the forward mark. Whether he has a capability to be a replacement for McShane is something that can be debated but he offers something different to what Brennan or McAliskey would give you inside.

Appreciate that and I understand. But it's just not a realistic option, I actually think he could do a job myself but there is the obvious backstory with McNulty and Tyrone. It's just a no go unfortunately.

Dire Ear

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 02, 2020, 09:55:52 PM
Anything to be said for moving Peter Harte into full forward?
Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly inside with Mark Bradley operating off them would have the potential to be very dangerous.
1. Niall Morgan
2. Rory Brennan
3. Ronan McNammee
4. Michael McKernan
5. Michael Cassidy
6. Paudie Hampsey
7. Frank Burns
8. Richard Donnelly
9. Colm Cavanagh
10. Kieran McGeary
11. Niall Sludden
12. Conor Meyler
13. Mark Bradley
14. Peter Harte
15. Mattie Donnelly
With that line up and squad, Tyrone should still be very competitive and make the super 8s/SF, all experienced players who have been about for a few years now, debatable though if they can beat Donegal in Ballybofey or any of the top teams in a semi final.

southtyronegael

That half forward line looks very weak scoring wise.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 03, 2020, 07:52:38 PM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 02, 2020, 09:55:52 PM
Anything to be said for moving Peter Harte into full forward?
Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly inside with Mark Bradley operating off them would have the potential to be very dangerous.
1. Niall Morgan
2. Rory Brennan
3. Ronan McNammee
4. Michael McKernan
5. Michael Cassidy
6. Paudie Hampsey
7. Frank Burns
8. Richard Donnelly
9. Colm Cavanagh
10. Kieran McGeary
11. Niall Sludden
12. Conor Meyler
13. Mark Bradley
14. Peter Harte
15. Mattie Donnelly
With that line up and squad, Tyrone should still be very competitive and make the super 8s/SF, all experienced players who have been about for a few years now, debatable though if they can beat Donegal in Ballybofey or any of the top teams in a semi final.

That forward line doesn't inspire much hope for me at the business end of the Championship and I think you'd have to put big question marks over Mattie's involvement this year. It's a very small forward line too, only Meyler and Donnelly come near or above the 6ft mark. McGeary and Meyler don't really offer a scoring threat either.

I do agree with the placing of Mattie (if fit) and Peter Harte inside but it's the paucity of scores from the half forward line that would worry me. I also don't think McKernan is a corner back, he's got plenty of energy and is physical but his decision making and tendency to switch off his man has cost numerous goals already in his Tyrone career. Think Rafferty is worth a run at corner back.

We need to get more scores in that attack but trying to compensate for McShane's loss is near impossible with how important he was last year. Coney might be worth a run at 11 as he can get scores and adds a physical presence there, hopefully Mulgrew is back fit and can nail down a place too as he has the ability to feature on the scoreboard.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Goals_Will_Come

Tyrone McKenna Cup Team V. Cavan 1st 15

1. B Gallen
2. C Quinn
3. A McCrory
4. B Burns
5. L Rafferty
6. R Brennan
7. C Grimes
8. B Kennedy
9. C Kilpatrick
10. T McCann
11. K Coney
12. D McCurry
13. D Mulgrew
14. C McCann
15. D Kerr

4 Players make their debut for Tyrone Seniors

Dire Ear

2 McCanns and AMcCrory...........that's enough for me

Angelo

Think Brennan is the only player who started against Kerry in last year's AI semi?

Will many of these lads be involved in Sigerson? Might be the only chance for them in the McKenna Cup.

NotedObserver

Interested to see the hunger with T McCann. Think he could be v useful as a half forward if he is up for it

Angelo

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 04, 2020, 01:39:35 PM
Interested to see the hunger with T McCann. Think he could be v useful as a half forward if he is up for it

Think he's more suited there these days. His finishing has come on very well the past couple of years but I think we have better natural defenders for the half back line.

southtyronegael

So tiarnan Mc cann is a forward now? Jesus wept. We in bigger trouble than I thought.

Angelo

Anyone head along to the match?

I listened to the commentary. Seemed like Kilpatrick was outstanding and at the heart of everything positive Tyrone did, Rafferty also seemed to be very prominent by the radio commentary and Mulgrew sounded like he had a good second half.