China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on December 31, 2020, 02:53:57 PM
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/12/30/what-is-left-to-say/

This article pretty pretty much sums how I feel about COVID.

So much noise. So little consideration.

I assume you mean the article is so much noise with so little consideration?

Yer man didn't go far out of his way to interpret his own data.

Compare to 2017/2018 or 2018/2019 - the spike this winter is not limited to the new year. Given the results of the past few weeks won't be in yet*, and combined with media reports across europe of hospital occupancy etc, it is safe to assume that the numbers will not have peaked but will instead be sustained or rise further.

*note how it descends back to baseline for last entry point - simply because the numbers aren't in!

So we are currently looking at between 1.5x and 2x the death rate of previous winters in this Nov/Dec. 
i usse an speelchekor

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on December 31, 2020, 09:59:35 PM
Sky or BBC
I'm genuinely not on the wind up here, but I thought that most folk aspiring to a UI looked to the RTE for their news etc.  Tbh, as a unionist who listens to BBC TV, Radio etc, this would be one of the reasons why I would not be too keen on a UI.  Perhaps not the correct thread for this, but there you go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: michaelg on December 31, 2020, 10:10:31 PM
Sky or BBC
I'm genuinely not on the wind up here, but I thought that most folk aspiring to a UI looked to the RTE for their news etc.  Tbh, as a unionist who listens to BBC TV, Radio etc, this would be one of the reasons why I would not be too keen on a UI.  Perhaps not the correct thread for this, but there you go.

Would never watch RTE news, in fairness I wouldn't watch news unless there was something came up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2020, 10:14:10 PM
Sky or BBC

Would never watch RTE news, in fairness I wouldn't watch news unless there was something came up

When I was young and troubles were going we only had between 4-6 channels. In Derry we had no issue getting "teilifís Éireann" as everyone called it and my Da insisted on RTÉ 1 being button 1 then RTÉ 2 button 2. Anything to prove our Irishness lol, but with advent of sky the 6 o clock news on RTÉ has got lost a bit. I still always go to TG4 and RTÉ channels everyday though for other stuff.

bennydorano

Sky or BBC
It's  like a different country (copyright Ian Rush)

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on December 31, 2020, 10:52:27 PM
Sky or BBC
For you too then?

michaelg

Sky or BBC
Apparently old Rushie never said that!  Shame, always found it a funny quote / comment!
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ian-rush-i-never-said-italy-was-foreign-country-dalglish-has-lot-answer

bennydorano

Quote from: michaelg on December 31, 2020, 10:57:47 PM
Sky or BBC
For you too then?
I probably find it different in a different way than yourself I reckon tbh.

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on December 31, 2020, 11:27:40 PM
Sky or BBC
For you too then?
Not so much a different country per se. However, other than Ireland rugby matches, generally accessed via BBC or ITV more recently, a lot of the news and cultural life in the ROI passes me by.  I dare say, however, that except for those from a nationalist background with an interest in GAA, the same night apply too.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 31, 2020, 10:23:45 PM
Sky or BBC

When I was young and troubles were going we only had between 4-6 channels. In Derry we had no issue getting "teilifís Éireann" as everyone called it and my Da insisted on RTÉ 1 being button 1 then RTÉ 2 button 2. Anything to prove our Irishness lol, but with advent of sky the 6 o clock news on RTÉ has got lost a bit. I still always go to TG4 and RTÉ channels everyday though for other stuff.

that's how ulsterisation works, lads on the gah board watching the english news  ::)

Milltown Row2

English news? Or northern news?

I love the rte maps doing the weather, partition in a nutshell
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2021, 12:23:57 AM
English news? Or northern news?

I love the rte maps doing the weather, partition in a nutshell

If you want Partition - Listen to all the National Radio stations Weather forecast. There is a real East/West divide going on there!

RedHand88

Quote from: michaelg on December 31, 2020, 11:41:30 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 31, 2020, 11:27:40 PM
Sky or BBC
For you too then?
Not so much a different country per se. However, other than Ireland rugby matches, generally accessed via BBC or ITV more recently, a lot of the news and cultural life in the ROI passes me by.  I dare say, however, that except for those from a nationalist background with an interest in GAA, the same night apply too.

I know alot of people round belfast who don't have rte because they haven't bothered to sort it out, and aren't too bothered about it. Always baffled me. It was always on in my house growing up.

bennydorano

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on December 31, 2020, 11:44:40 PM
Sky or BBC

that's how ulsterisation works, lads on the gah board watching the english news  ::)
ROI is a foreign country kid. What happens politically  in London is more important than Dublin unfortunately

michaelg

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on December 31, 2020, 11:44:40 PM
Sky or BBC

The point is that in the current digital media age, folk can access what they want.  How many folk in the O6C actually watch RTE?