Recommend me a mobile phone

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 17, 2020, 04:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

The problem with changing networks is that where I live, 2 of the 4 major carriers don't have coverage for calls in doors. I will certainly consider switching to Vodafone. Their selection definitely seems better than O2.

TabClear

Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2020, 05:04:23 PM
For the past few months I have been using two mobile phones.

Samsung A40 - pure rubbish compared to below. Performance total crap, and functionality is limited.

iPhone 6S - my battery is dying, but iPhone 8 will probably be my next phone

Anybody any experience with dual sim phones? I have a work phone and a personal one and I would prefer to carry a single handset, especially at the weekend but I do have to be contactable. I generally divert all calls/sms to my personal number which is fine but we have started using Whatsapp a lot more at work and there is no way to forward Whatsapp that I can see?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on April 08, 2020, 11:26:11 AM
The problem with changing networks is that where I live, 2 of the 4 major carriers don't have coverage for calls in doors. I will certainly consider switching to Vodafone. Their selection definitely seems better than O2.
In the same boat with the missus who is now due an uograde. We have good o2 and Vodafone coverage here but she's had her number for years and doesn't want to move from o2 to Vodafone. O2 deals seem to be pish compared to the other providers.

I didn't realise O2 were now off Carphone Warehouse which is a bollox as that's where we always did our business.

gallsman

Quote from: TabClear on April 08, 2020, 12:08:23 PM

Samsung A40 - pure rubbish compared to below. Performance total crap, and functionality is limited.

Anybody any experience with dual sim phones? I have a work phone and a personal one and I would prefer to carry a single handset, especially at the weekend but I do have to be contactable. I generally divert all calls/sms to my personal number which is fine but we have started using Whatsapp a lot more at work and there is no way to forward Whatsapp that I can see?

On most modern phones you can now run Clone/Parallel/Dual eligible apps (WhatsApp is one of these) so you could have two instances of WhatsApp on the one phone - one for personal, one for professional.

Most dual SIM phones, and all new ones, will have intelligent features like smart ring back, message back etc where it will automatically use the SIM that someone rang/messaged you on to get back to them.

dec

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 12:57:35 PM
We have good o2 and Vodafone coverage here but she's had her number for years and doesn't want to move from o2 to Vodafone.

Is there no way to transfer a number?

This would suggest you can
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switching/switching-mobile-phone-provider

TabClear

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 08, 2020, 11:26:11 AM
In the same boat with the missus who is now due an uograde. We have good o2 and Vodafone coverage here but she's had her number for years and doesn't want to move from o2 to Vodafone. O2 deals seem to be pish compared to the other providers.

I didn't realise O2 were now off Carphone Warehouse which is a bollox as that's where we always did our business.

Why doesnt she just get a PAC code from O2 and transfer her number to new Vodafone SIM?

gallsman

Taking your number with you as you move mobile operator had been the standard for about fifteen years Tony!

bennydorano

I'm obviously of the same vintage as TB's Mrs, I changed mobile provider yesterday from Three to Sky after about 10 years with them! Couldn't believe how easy it was, tho I do remember giving up on it a few years ago as Three were an absolute nightmare to get away from. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 05:05:02 PM
Taking your number with you as you move mobile operator had been the standard for about fifteen years Tony!
Well that shows how long it is she's had her number on O2. But good to know nonetheless. Is it you who has championed these Chinese phones as need a good Android phone myself - out of contract now but forever deleting stuff to make room and it's a pain in the arse (32MB).

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
Quote from: TabClear on April 08, 2020, 12:08:23 PM

On most modern phones you can now run Clone/Parallel/Dual eligible apps (WhatsApp is one of these) so you could have two instances of WhatsApp on the one phone - one for personal, one for professional.

Most dual SIM phones, and all new ones, will have intelligent features like smart ring back, message back etc where it will automatically use the SIM that someone rang/messaged you on to get back to them.

I have a dual SIM phone. I had definite plans to insert foreign SIMs along with the usual one for a couple of forthcoming trips. That isn't working out so well, so I cannot say what works.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 05:40:30 PM
Well that shows how long it is she's had her number on O2. But good to know nonetheless. Is it you who has championed these Chinese phones as need a good Android phone myself - out of contract now but forever deleting stuff to make room and it's a pain in the arse (32MB).

I'm what might be described as a bit of a dweeb when it comes to phones.

A really, really good budget Chinese option is the Redmi Note 8 Pro. Can pick it up for about 200 off eglobaluk.

Boycey

New OnePlus 8 Launched tomorrow, be interesting to see pricing plus what it does to pricing of older models.....

fearsiuil

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 05:56:34 PM

A really, really good budget Chinese option is the Redmi Note 8 Pro. Can pick it up for about 200 off eglobaluk.
How would this Redmi Note 8 compare to the Samsung S8 that I have that will need replacing?

Karl Kennedy

Anyone recommend a Samsung A series mobile phone?

Obviously the S series is better but are any of the A series as good as them?
A70, A50, A40 and A20e have been suggested in a new upgrade plan but not sure if I should go ahead with any of them if they aren't great.

BenDover

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 05:56:34 PM

Would he not be better buying it from the xiaomi uk website?

I've a RedMi 3 here that the young fella uses to play games on mainly, too young to have a sim in it but it must be about 4 years old and still works with no issues.