Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boosabum

Good to see that James has won the power battle and the mayo squad will be able to sleep more soundly in their 4 star as opposed to 3 star beds. I think Doug Ellis made the point that all hotels look the same when your asleep. Unfortunately as has been seen before, these "contracts" hold little value when the going gets tough and a trip to Salthill against a galway team with lots to prove won't be easy for the first outing. James should spend more time trying to find or mould a top class 6, 11 and 14 instead of pointing to logistical issues. As things stand, he has an equal reputation to JOM & JM in terms of lossing an All-Ireland that was there to be won. I'm glad some many people here support the views expressed in terms of dedication and what is needed to win an All-ireland, so when each club is saddled with an extra levy to make up the extra cost in team expenses for logistics, the €100 tickets and cairde mayo season passes won't be comming off the presses quick enough such will be the demand. Winning is all, losing and the bill still has to be paid.

Tubberman

This is taken from Maughan's piece in the Mayo Advertiser. They seem to love Buckley down in Kerry, so if this comes off it would be a great move. Would add extra spice to the league opener as well - Cian O'Neill in the Kerry dugout and Donie Buckley in the Mayo one!

On the inter-county scene, I believe senior manager James Horan was spotted in Ennis last Monday night. He must have been meeting with Donie Buckley, the former Kerry trainer, to see if he will come on board next year. The retired Clare County Council engineer normally heads to the United States for three months at this time of the year to, believe it or not, up skill his coaching techniques. He has been doing so for years. The affable Castle Island Desmond's man would be quite a coup for Horan and I believe the deal is more or less signed sealed and, to be, delivered.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

@Mayogaa have just confirmed on twitter that Donie Buckley will be joining Mayo for 2013
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sam2011

Quote from: Tubberman on October 22, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
@Mayogaa have just confirmed on twitter that Donie Buckley will be joining Mayo for 2013

Great news that James has that sorted now, a weight off his shoulders I'm sure. I've only heard positive things about the man. It also adds balance with O'Neil in Kerry and Buckley in Mayo. First league game will be all the more enthralling now! It's now time to start building for 2013.

Pragmatist

I am now convinced that the naysayers have been right all along. For years I tried to promote the idea that we can improve players' decision-making on and off the ball, their movement off the ball, their positional sense, their timing of runs and their abilities to adapt to different game plans and attacking options. The truth is that for 90% of players we cannot!!
They bring with them their own inbuilt cerebral limitations for these skills and we can labour for as long as we want and convince ourselves we see glimmers of hope, but the fact is that they will revert to type more often than not.
Just get them as fit as possible, as well-conditioned as possible and as technically proficient as possible and forget the rest.

Champ15

Congratulations to Enda Gilvarry on being named Mayo Minor manager had the pleasure of playing under him at underage level where he guided us to an under 16 league title in 2001 and also briefly at senior level in 2004 before Tommy Lyons took over. He's a deeply passionate and knowledgeable gas man and a gentleman to boot! Here's hoping is term is a succesful one!
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

stephenite

Great news and well deserved. Full back on the 1985 winning minor team.

Farrandeelin

I see Ronan McGarrity has called time on his intercounty career. It was a pity he was riddled with so many injuries in the last few years, in the fact that somethng tells me that we never quite saw McGarrity hit his full potential. That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure others have different views. Anyway, good luck Ronan, and he'll get to spend more time with his firstborn (I think) child too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

maigheo

just wondering does anybody know who wrote the article in the connacht telegraph in relation to james Horan and his management of Mayo. i just read the online version and it did not give the writers name.It had to be one of the dumbest articles that has ever been written.I would have the same opinion as Farrandellin regarding Ronan McG. in that injuries curtailed his career and maybe that is why he never reached his full potential. I saw him play in New York  when he was on a basketball scholarship and for a lad that had not played much football up to that point in his life,he was outstanding .He always gave 100 pc for Mayo and good luck to him in his retirement.

spuds

Quote from: maigheo on November 27, 2012, 02:16:26 AM
just wondering does anybody know who wrote the article in the connacht telegraph in relation to james Horan and his management of Mayo. i just read the online version and it did not give the writers name.It had to be one of the dumbest articles that has ever been written.I would have the same opinion as Farrandellin regarding Ronan McG. in that injuries curtailed his career and maybe that is why he never reached his full potential. I saw him play in New York  when he was on a basketball scholarship and for a lad that had not played much football up to that point in his life,he was outstanding .He always gave 100 pc for Mayo and good luck to him in his retirement.
Think it was Aidan Henry, the first article I read which goes hard on Horan. A late November shit stirrer.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2012, 12:04:33 PM
I see Ronan McGarrity has called time on his intercounty career. It was a pity he was riddled with so many injuries in the last few years, in the fact that somethng tells me that we never quite saw McGarrity hit his full potential. That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure others have different views. Anyway, good luck Ronan, and he'll get to spend more time with his firstborn (I think) child too.
It's a pity to see him go but he has his future and his family to look after and he is right to put them first.
I agree that we never saw McG at his best. Same as his club colleague, Pat Harte, he was cursed with injuries throughout his career and only showed glimpses from time to time of what he was capable of.
I'm convinced that he had what it takes to be a great player and, at his best, he would have proved an invaluable asset to James Horan and the Mayo team this year. Sadly, it was not to be.

Go n-éirí leis.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Vincent Neary of Bonniconlon has filled the secretary's role. Padraig Staunton from Moygownagh is the new Connacht council delegate.

Farrandeelin

From Hoganstand.

"Mayo manager James Horan has revealed that his injury list should be subsiding over the next few weeks.

The Connacht champions have been forced to start the league campaign without the likes of Andy Moran, Cillian O'Connor and Even Regan.

Mayo have opened their account with a win and a loss in division one and although the treatment table is set to be less busy, Horan stated to the Western People that it will still be a while before all players return.

He said: 'Andy (Moran) should be in a good position at the end of March and Cillian (O'Connor) and Evan Regan and a number of other lads are almost back from injury too so that's a positive.'"

AbbeySider

You are some bit of stuff Farrandeelin for keeping the local Mayo GAA stuff going and even posting here.
I, like everyone else still get the email notifications when someone posts something so I always check it after you put up results, fixtures or news like the above.

Its appreciated, well done for keeping the flag flying.