AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

sheamy

What a joke. A nod and a wink gets a clear strike downgraded. It's the GAA authorities which are bringing the association into disrepute. The committees involved need to publish their reasons otherwise the current stench of corruption which lingers over this won't clear.

T Toatler

Have to agree with some posters. Red card all day no matter the circumstances.  These committees need a shake up. I imagine a vote is taken around the table and the majority decision is taken. That's rather stupid in the face of very clear video evidence. 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 20, 2015, 01:34:23 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: Rodman on August 19, 2015, 11:46:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 19, 2015, 10:38:36 PM
Quote from: bucko on August 19, 2015, 10:34:21 PM
Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to yellow by the CHC this evening, he's now available for selection for the semi.

Excellent news-right decision

Thats a joke. So a yellow card now for punching someone in the face.

The joke was that there was a card of any description. Silly stuff but a Ref looking to be fussy and put us in our place like we ve got used to referees doing down the years.

No more than the Keegan card last year in a crucial game (and a call that decided that semi ultimately) where we got another red card because of Donacha Walsh's well rehearsed dancing hissy fit to make a mountain out of a molehill. The same player (Walsh) is still getting away with cheap borderline shite himself. Murphy ( a top player imo) played on the edge all year and got a ridiculous yellow v a dramatic reaction from Sice. But he was ott at end of Mayo game. Keane was right to get him out of his face and used minimum contact in the circumstances. If there was a card going there Murphy should have got it. Keane or Mayo in general were not looking for hassle at that stage. Yet another ref. ( very good rep. it has to be said)  that I would not trust referring an important game of ours.

Keegans red was the correct decision too, outrageous that either were overruled - striking or attempting to strike your opponent is a red card as far as I'm aware
Okay, going by the rule book. Keegan earned a red card. I think it was an extremely harsh decision but rules are rules and all that.....
However, if he had turned round  and given his tormentor a running kick up the arse, it would be treated in exactly the same way. There was no premeditation involved, it was the action of as petulant schoolboy more than anything else. The ref decided, when he had time to think it over, that a straight red card was an unduly harsh decision and mucked his report up. I'm being serious here, how else could an experienced ref at this level, make a c**k up of his match report?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Two Hands FFS

Pathetic decision from the GAA. He punched him in the face & it's a red card offence all day long

ballinaman

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on August 20, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Pathetic decision from the GAA. He punched him in the face & it's a red card offence all day long
Punch is defined as a strike with a fist....a fist is defined as fingers closed into the palm.
So he didn't punch him... ::) ;)

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2015, 10:42:38 AM
Punch is defined as a strike with a fist....a fist is defined as fingers closed into the palm.
It's still a ridiculous decision. Embarrassing that Mayo appealed it. I still hope they beat the Dubs though

Il Bomber Destro

How on earth was the Keane punch overturned when you look at some of the bans upheld this year? McCloskey for Fermanagh and McGovern are two that come to mind. Also Penrose's red two years ago was even more mild than Keane's and still got upheld.

Farcical stuff.

rosnarun

Keane was sent off for a strike.
Murphy Struck him twice before kevin retalialiated.
the only difference being Keane caressed the big babys face  and murphy gave a couple of digs into the chest  . I dont think the rules differenciate
so if you want to be a pedant Murphy should have gone as well,
Black and white does not work when it comes to refereeing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rosnarun on August 20, 2015, 11:45:05 AM
the only difference being Keane caressed the big babys face  and murphy gave a couple of digs into the chest  . I dont think the rules differenciate

Murphy did not strike Keane, he pushed him in the chest and grabbed his jersey.

Keane struck Murphy right on the button of the chin with a closed fist, it's a text book red card.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2015, 10:42:38 AM
That is incorrect. In the rule book it is striking with the hand. It doesn't mention open or closed hand. There is no rule for striking with the fist.

westbound

Quote from: rosnarun on August 20, 2015, 11:45:05 AM

Regardless of what went on before, if Keane struck or attempted to strike (he did strike!) it is a sending off offence.

If you think Murphy should also get a suspension that it a different matter (I don't think he should!)

muppet

One of the problems with GAA discipline at this time of year is the disproportionate effect of bans.

For example, a team on their way out of the championship can begin to lose their composure, as Monaghan did and maybe surprisingly, Michael Murphy did. But the rules are different for the team playing them. A card for Murphy or Monaghan at that stage is irrelevant. But a card for their opponents could be crucial.

And to show I am trying not to be biased, Cillian got a red at the end of the replay last year in Limerick. It made no difference to us then, but if we had been winning it would have meant he missed the final. I seriously doubt he would have risked a red card if we were winning.

We tend to have sympathy for the team about to lose, even if they go overboard. But is this fair to their opponents who must desperately try not to respond?
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 01:15:27 PM
One of the problems with GAA discipline at this time of year is the disproportionate effect of bans.

For example, a team on their way out of the championship can begin to lose their composure, as Monaghan did and maybe surprisingly, Michael Murphy did. But the rules are different for the team playing them. A card for Murphy or Monaghan at that stage is irrelevant. But a card for their opponents could be crucial.

And to show I am trying not to be biased, Cillian got a red at the end of the replay last year in Limerick. It made no difference to us then, but if we had been winning it would have meant he missed the final. I seriously doubt he would have risked a red card if we were winning.

We tend to have sympathy for the team about to lose, even if they go overboard. But is this fair to their opponents who must desperately try not to respond?

The biggest problem is the lack of consistency. If a Dublin footballer did that and got off there would be a thread a mile long with half the Mayo posters here petitioning Enda Kenny to intervene.

You get consistency by having clearly defined rules - a strike is a strike. Both should have been sent off for straight reds end of story.

Oyam

Diarmuid Connolly got sent off for something very similar in the 2011 semi against Donegal and that card was overturned before the final.