Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Not allowed do that sheamy, thankfully!!

sheamy

Quote from: Zulu on April 10, 2015, 05:11:13 PM
Not allowed do that sheamy, thankfully!!

ah balls. How so? Time to dig out me official guide.

1.3 COMMENCING PLAY
(i) The Referee shall toss a coin for choice of
ends in the presence of the team captains.
This procedure shall be repeated for Extra
Time, where played.
(ii) Two Players from each team shall stand one
behind the other on their own defensive side
of the halfway line, and shall face the referee,
for the throw in.
The other Players, shall be in their respective
positions behind the 45m line (Football) or
65m line (Hurling).

Surely 'in their respective positions' is open to interpretation?  :D

Is there another rule preventing it?

Zulu

No I think that's the only rule but I presume position is defined by how you'd line out per programme. I once reffed a game where the sweeper lined up in front of his full back line and I told him he had to line out in his corner forward position for the throw in. He wasn't impressed!

sheamy

LOL

Some manager will do it yet. I don't think that's enforceable at all.

twohands!!!

Quote from: sheamy on April 10, 2015, 05:26:14 PM
LOL

And risk having the game awarded to the opposition for failing to take to the field correctly ?

The manager would want to be some tactical genius to do that all right.

Rossfan

Quote from: sheamy on April 10, 2015, 05:26:14 PM
LOL

If the Ref refuses to throw in the ball till 6 men go into the forward positions.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

If I remember correctly, the ref sent, I think it was Conor Gormley, back to his own half after lining up as a sweeper v Meath in a qualifier Croker a few years ago.
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 10, 2015, 05:04:51 PM
It does, but leaving your 6 backs in their positions is not the same thing in my view. From the throw in, Donegal retreat en masse.

And that's the point most posters here can't see beyond that. A lot of teams retreat en masse- dublin and kerry don't- yet some of the alleged salmons of knowledge claim it's the same game-plan

Hilarious reading though

Estimator

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 10, 2015, 07:30:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the ref sent, I think it was Conor Gormley, back to his own half after lining up as a sweeper v Meath in a qualifier Croker a few years ago.

I remember listening to a game on the radio a couple of years ago, it could have been this one, where a substitution had been made for the  start of the second half in which a  forward had been replaced by a defender. The commentator made reference to the fact that one team was lined out with 5 forwards and 7 defenders. No mention was given to the ref ensuring correct placement for the throw in.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zulu on April 10, 2015, 04:55:58 PM
But that's the point FoSB. If Dublin had made the final then the game would have been very different but as Donegal play a certain way all other teams will mirror that as Kerry did. But lets not lose sight of the only important point here, the mass defending trend is bad for football, not which counties get the most blame for it, which is irrelevant.

OK, just to get this straight - the only way to successfully counteract the like of Donegal is to emulate them and their system, to a greater or lesser degree?  And it doesn't really matter if 13 players evacuate to the defence immediately on throw-in or subsequently, a blanket is still a duvet defence.

Aside from the enormity of the compliment implicit in such a response, it really points up the paucity of options in the game when strategies all come down to whose is the most divine duvet. Obviously, Dublin's gung-ho approach of last year's semi is fraught against such, despite the most holy and noble intentions of management.;)

You cannot blame teams for maximising their chances of success with the given resources within existing rules, and if that results in games of relentlessly irredeemable turgidity then something else will have to give, though shooting the messengers is rarely the most effective tack.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

I seem to remember that this hand pass plague started with Dublin maximising  their chances of success with their cuteness in exploiting every possible variant of passing the ball by hand.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2015, 01:19:12 AM
I seem to remember that this hand pass plague started with Dublin maximising  their chances of success with their cuteness in exploiting every possible variant of passing the ball by hand.

You must have been made watch videos of Dublin thrashing Monaghan growing up such is your obsession with us.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on April 10, 2015, 08:11:23 PM
It does, but leaving your 6 backs in their positions is not the same thing in my view. From the throw in, Donegal retreat en masse.

And that's the point most posters here can't see beyond that. A lot of teams retreat en masse- dublin and kerry don't- yet some of the alleged salmons of knowledge claim it's the same game-plan

Hilarious reading though
Dublin and Kerry don't?

Ah jezuz Indy - seriously!!

Def Dublin aren't as def as when under gilroy ( no complaints here about that)

easytiger95

Indy, to be fair, in 2011 we had Catser and Cullen in our half forward line - they weren't there for their scoring power. Gavin definitely brought a more attacking emphasis (with the caveat that Flynn and Connolly both became very disciplined in their defensive duties0.

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 12, 2015, 12:23:26 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 10, 2015, 08:11:23 PM

Hilarious reading though
Dublin and Kerry don't?

Ah jezuz Indy - seriously!!

Def Dublin aren't as def as when under gilroy ( no complaints here about that)
And nobody claims it's  Dublin's game plan, that's just typical Dublin defensive, surreal  hyperbole.
But what words does one use to describe when they have every player in their own half  with the opposition on the offence?
"they (the dub players) are only following their man"??