2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Enda Smith possibly and Geaney at a push. The rest from the two finalists. Anything else is tokenistic nonsense.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on September 21, 2017, 08:58:20 PM
Enda Smith possibly and Geaney at a push. The rest from the two finalists. Anything else is tokenistic nonsense.

Smith? He's lucky to be nominated. I can't recall him playing too well against Mayo.

Blowitupref

Down getting two nominations and Galway getting none is a little odd.

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons, Cian O'Sullivan, Keith Higgins
Colm Boyle, Chris Barrett, Jack McCaffrey
Colm Cavanagh, James McCarthy
Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea, Con O'Callaghan
Paul Mannion, Paul Geaney, Andy Moran.

Will be surprise if those 15 aren't named as this years All Stars.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 21, 2017, 09:01:17 PM

Smith? He's lucky to be nominated. I can't recall him playing too well against Mayo.

Beat the reigning PotY in the second half of the drawn game. Made a better fist of playing him than the lad with a 40 page thread here ever did.

westbound

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 21, 2017, 07:50:26 PM
Quote from: westbound on September 21, 2017, 03:55:42 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 21, 2017, 03:20:50 PM
Quote from: Estimator on September 21, 2017, 03:13:17 PM
I'd suggest that 4 players have been nominated from to reduce bias for one particular player.  Like the Hurling last year, where Gleeson picked up the POTY award, despite not playing the AI final. The two Tipp players had their vote halved and Gleeson was able to pick up the award. 
This year, in the hurling the award looks to be heading to Canning as two Waterford hurlers were selected alongside him.  If it was Canning, McInerney and Barron nominated, then there is a strong possibility of Barron being chosen.
This is arguably the most sensible comment so far on this POTY debate

That logic makes sense, except that David Clarke was not the second best player on that mayo team this year!
Having attended all Mayo's games this year I'd beg to differ. A trawl through posts on the board will show that Andy was being written off as over the hill until the Cork match. The same could be said for Boyler. Keegan was a slow burner this year and both Keith and Durcan got sent off needlessly. SOS was poor, Parsons was carrying injuries, AOS didnt come into his own until the Derry game, Doherty until the Ros game, McLoughlinn until the Ros replay, both O Connors have had better seasons. If it weren't for Mr Dependable in goal we would have been gone early in the summer. So if he wasn't the second best player it might have been that he was the best.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of Mayo football, I've only seen some of their games on TV and attended a few of their games in Croke park.
I agree with you about Andy moran, his best football came in the later part of the season (but rightly or wrongly All stars and POTY awards tend to get judged on the later part of the season!). So I'd have him ahead of clarke.
Similar with Boyle IMO.
Also, I'd have AOS ahead of Clarke, there were a couple of qualifer games where he was outstanding. I think it was the Derry game where Mayo would have been beaten without him.
Would you not have Harrison ahead of clarke as well?

I'm not trying to knock Clarke here. I don't think he had a bad year. But Not footballer of the year material IMO.

However, as I said you've seen all their games so you are probably in a better position to judge.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: westbound on September 21, 2017, 10:01:58 PM
I'd suggest that 4 players have been nominated from to reduce bias for one particular player.  Like the Hurling last year, where Gleeson picked up the POTY award, despite not playing the AI final. The two Tipp players had their vote halved and Gleeson was able to pick up the award. 
This year, in the hurling the award looks to be heading to Canning as two Waterford hurlers were selected alongside him.  If it was Canning, McInerney and Barron nominated, then there is a strong possibility of Barron being chosen.

That logic makes sense, except that David Clarke was not the second best player on that mayo team this year!
Having attended all Mayo's games this year I'd beg to differ. A trawl through posts on the board will show that Andy was being written off as over the hill until the Cork match. The same could be said for Boyler. Keegan was a slow burner this year and both Keith and Durcan got sent off needlessly. SOS was poor, Parsons was carrying injuries, AOS didnt come into his own until the Derry game, Doherty until the Ros game, McLoughlinn until the Ros replay, both O Connors have had better seasons. If it weren't for Mr Dependable in goal we would have been gone early in the summer. So if he wasn't the second best player it might have been that he was the best.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of Mayo football, I've only seen some of their games on TV and attended a few of their games in Croke park.
I agree with you about Andy moran, his best football came in the later part of the season (but rightly or wrongly All stars and POTY awards tend to get judged on the later part of the season!). So I'd have him ahead of clarke.
Similar with Boyle IMO.
Also, I'd have AOS ahead of Clarke, there were a couple of qualifer games where he was outstanding. I think it was the Derry game where Mayo would have been beaten without him.

I'm not trying to knock Clarke here. I don't think he had a bad year. But Not footballer of the year material IMO.

However, as I said you've seen all their games so you are probably in a better position to judge.
I'm not picking an argument with you but, as I have pointed out in other threads leading up to the final, the improvement in Mayo was very gradual throughout the qualifiers. Harrison played his first game of the season in the Derry game and was subbed off. His form improved game on game but you wouldn't have picked him out before the Kerry games. AOS was given MOTM in two games (Derry & Clare) but in general outfield players tend to get more attention than goalkeepers. If players were marked on each game then I think Clarke would come out on top in Mayo terms because he was consistently good. If truth be told and I took off my Mayo shirt, I wouldn't give POTY to any of the Mayo team. I think it was the collective that got them through with occasional inspirational performances from a variety of players.

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 21, 2017, 10:49:33 PM
Quote from: westbound on September 21, 2017, 10:01:58 PM

Similar with Boyle IMO.

I'm not picking an argument with you but, as I have pointed out in other threads leading up to the final, the improvement in Mayo was very gradual throughout the qualifiers. Harrison played his first game of the season in the Derry game and was subbed off. His form improved game on game but you wouldn't have picked him out before the Kerry games. AOS was given MOTM in two games (Derry & Clare) but in general outfield players tend to get more attention than goalkeepers. If players were marked on each game then I think Clarke would come out on top in Mayo terms because he was consistently good. If truth be told and I took off my Mayo shirt, I wouldn't give POTY to any of the Mayo team. I think it was the collective that got them through with occasional inspirational performances from a variety of players.

Mayo would have been one and done in the Quailifers without Andy Moran.

Champion The Wonder Horse

I can't recall too many Mayo folk playing well against Galway. Or Derry. Should they all be ruled out?

Smith's performance against Galway was the best individual performance I saw all year and his ability to pre-occupy Lee Keegan was the main reason Roscommon got a replay.

The fourth best chance on that list of midfielders, but possibly still a chance.

Ahead of Kung Fu Cavanagh and the Kildare chap.

All Stars have been pointless since 2005 and arguably long before that.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on September 21, 2017, 11:02:29 PM

I can't recall too many Mayo folk playing well against Galway. Or Derry. Should they all be ruled out?

Smith's performance against Galway was the best individual performance I saw all year and his ability to pre-occupy Lee Keegan was the main reason Roscommon got a replay.

The fourth best chance on that list of midfielders, but possibly still a chance.

Ahead of Kung Fu Cavanagh and the Kildare chap.

All Stars have been pointless since 2005 and arguably long before that.

Earlier rounds count for nothing in all star terms and smith did sweet f all in croker
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Clarke
Fitzsimmons Harrison Higgins
McCaffrey Barret Boyle
Parsons McCarthy
McLoughlin AOS O'Callaghan
Doherty Geaney Moran

Mayo bias perhaps? 🙈

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 21, 2017, 11:18:21 PM
Clarke
McCaffrey Barret Boyle
Parsons McCarthy
Doherty Geaney Moran

Mayo bias perhaps? 🙈

Harrison and AOS shouldn't be let near the All-Star team. Parsons hardly deserves one either to be honest, SOS was the workhorse for Mayo and if he had more than 50 minutes in him he probably could have made the grade.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2017, 11:20:22 PM
Clarke
McCaffrey Barret Boyle
Parsons McCarthy
Doherty Geaney Moran

Mayo bias perhaps? 🙈

Harrison and AOS shoudln't be let near the All-Star team. Parsons hardly deserves on either to be honest, SOS was the workhorse for Mayo and if he had more than 50 minutes in it he probably could have made the grade.

Have to disagree particularly on parsons, you dont really notice until hes gone or you pay attention to it but hes arguably the key player for mayo

Mayo4Sam14

Wildweasel74

Parsons been the best midfielder this year; dont know what u been watching!! Plus Dean Rock will get one;

Orchard park

Clarke
McCaffrey Barret Boyle
Parsons McCarthy
Doherty Geaney Moran

Mayo bias perhaps? 🙈

a team whose noted weakness is up front with 4 forwards and excluding their top scorer. Christ there must be quality stuff being smoked west of ballagh by someone