Quote from: rosnarun on August 15, 2017, 03:55:10 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 15, 2017, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2017, 12:15:53 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 14, 2017, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 14, 2017, 03:29:18 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 14, 2017, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 14, 2017, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 13, 2017, 09:46:00 PM
Any thoughts on where keegan will play? If he slots back in at 5, Kerry will play a spoiler (Walsh/Murphy/Lyne) on him (maybe doubling up at times) and try to play him at his own game, niggle at him and try to frustrate him - hammer the hammer as they say.

As I see it, we have two options here, hope that keegan won't react to any niggle and will just get the better of his man. Or what I'd like to see us doing is using keegan to hammer the hammer - stick him on one of Kerry's biggest threats, Geaney or Moran. I don't think keegan is suited to Geaney on the inside line so it leaves putting him on David Moran where I think he'd match up well, he'd put moran on the back foot and stop him from driving forward. The only place I'd see a disadvantage for us would be on Kerry's kickouts where AOS would need to provide assistance.

O'Donoghue?

What about him?

Could keegan mark him?
He could but so could Keith. Leroy's talents might be put to better use further outfield. Right now, I'd be more worried about Donaghy  if Kerry adopt the same approach they did in Limerick in '14. Whoever marks him will need to have a bit of aggro in him to put Star off hio oats.
I think, if my memory isn't playing tricks that any time he was marked tightly and got no room to get moving, he wasn't nearly as effective as he was in Limerick.
I am not terribly worried about the pair of them either. Jamesy has had a load of injuries since that game and is not back to full form yet or so some Kerry mates tell me. Meantime, Donaghy is three years older and he was supposed to be gone past his sell by date even then.
Keep the faith and never say die! ;D

Keith marking O' Donoghue not a good idea imo. Both could have great games in their own way if ye know what I mean. We need O Donoghue not have a good game. We need Keith to have a great game. I would go Barrett on O Donoghue and Harrisson on Geaney.
Then its a question of who takes up Donaghy. Vaughan? I dunno? Say you start Vaughan,  then realistically one from Harrison, Boyle, Higgins, Durcan, Barrett, Keegan cant start. Vaughan may have more size than those six but ...........
Keegan is an option. But a sweeper would be essential. Give Keegan a license to attack at will when we are going forward and a sweeper to sit. Force Donaghy to chase a bit maybe. The reality is though, that we don't have a defender to match Donaghy for size. We know that. Our goal should be to control as much possession as we can around the field and discipline will be crucial also. Donaghy did us in drawn game in 14 but the killer ball came in from distance from David Moran. He was able to line up the perfect diagonal ball because we were down to 14 for so long and no pressure was able to get to him. It still could have been prevented with better presence at the back I know, but pressure on Moran disrupting that kick and there would have been no Limerick and a fresh Mayo team in the final.
Caff has become the forgotten man of Mayo football and that's a pity. I think he's an excellent man marker and and has what it takes to be a good corner back. I don't think he could do a man to man on Donaghy but he could well give Jamesy a headache if put on him.
This isn't Limerick '14 either and Donaghy isn't the man he used to be. I still fear him but only if he is left unmarked or his marker stands off him.  I think Vaughan is the man to niggle the fecker and hassle him all the way. Jamesy has spent a lot of time on the injured list since that day in Limerick three years ago. He just can't be as sharp as he was back then.
However, if you ask me, the winning or losing of the game will depend on what happens in midfield.
Stopping Moran and Maher getting plenty of  possession is going to be impossible but preventing them from having the time and freedom to pinpoint their passes into Donaghy vital to our chances. Tom and Seamie is the best duo we have without a doubt and we'll do better there than we did in Limerick. This time out, Clarkie is in goal and unless it's my imagination playing tricks, his kick outs have improved immeasurably since the controversy last September.
All in all, I'm 50/50 on this one.  A display like the last day with the lessons to be learnt from it taken onboard.
I've covered a few bets from some cute hoors I know and this time around they were looking for tenner bets not twenties or fifties as in other years.
Maybe that's a lucky omen!

look i hate criticizing mayo players before a match . even if they are from ballina
but Caff cannot catch kick or solo a ball , has no vision and is (by county standards) very slow . it was almost embarresing the first day against roscommon when moving the ball out the other mayo players were doing anything other than pass to hime and even the rossies know from the lick outs that he did not need to be covered ,
it was as though he was one of prenty's sons that used be given a run on a regular basis but people know better than to pass to them.
There are certain players he could completely shut out of a game as he can be an excellent man marker but i dont think geaney o donoughoe or Donaghy are in that bracket.
Clarke should be dropped too

Youre jokin right? 😅😅
regan too

Sure Regan doesnt play anyway
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Crete Boom

Quote from: heffo on August 15, 2017, 03:41:05 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 15, 2017, 02:36:38 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 15, 2017, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 15, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 15, 2017, 07:08:05 AM
Vaughan is tough as nails

He tried to rough up Ciaran Kilkenny in the 2015 semi-final before throw-in and bounced off him and had to go off injured from it.

I'm not sure he's really that tough. Kilkenny isn't exactly Eamonn Heery either.

Not calling Kilkenny's toughness into question but Vaughan had a bad shoulder injury going into that game and should never have started really and definitely shouldn't have got into a shouldering bust up with anyone one of the Dubs that day.

Now Eamonn Heery he could cut you in half as quick as a flash!!

Oh ya the shoulder injury.
Why did you have to ruin such a great story. It was far better the way heffo told it.

Strange that he'd initiate a shouldering contest with someone when he's carrying a shoulder injury.

Anyhoo, anyone who rolls around on the ground clutching his face can't be described as hard as nails.

Don't think anyone on this thread suggested Philly McMahon was as hard as nails! ;)

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on August 15, 2017, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 15, 2017, 04:10:31 PM
Any thoughts on where keegan will play? If he slots back in at 5, Kerry will play a spoiler (Walsh/Murphy/Lyne) on him (maybe doubling up at times) and try to play him at his own game, niggle at him and try to frustrate him - hammer the hammer as they say.

As I see it, we have two options here, hope that keegan won't react to any niggle and will just get the better of his man. Or what I'd like to see us doing is using keegan to hammer the hammer - stick him on one of Kerry's biggest threats, Geaney or Moran. I don't think keegan is suited to Geaney on the inside line so it leaves putting him on David Moran where I think he'd match up well, he'd put moran on the back foot and stop him from driving forward. The only place I'd see a disadvantage for us would be on Kerry's kickouts where AOS would need to provide assistance.

O'Donoghue?

What about him?

Could keegan mark him?
He could but so could Keith. Leroy's talents might be put to better use further outfield. Right now, I'd be more worried about Donaghy  if Kerry adopt the same approach they did in Limerick in '14. Whoever marks him will need to have a bit of aggro in him to put Star off hio oats.
I think, if my memory isn't playing tricks that any time he was marked tightly and got no room to get moving, he wasn't nearly as effective as he was in Limerick.
I am not terribly worried about the pair of them either. Jamesy has had a load of injuries since that game and is not back to full form yet or so some Kerry mates tell me. Meantime, Donaghy is three years older and he was supposed to be gone past his sell by date even then.

Keith marking O' Donoghue not a good idea imo. Both could have great games in their own way if ye know what I mean. We need O Donoghue not have a good game. We need Keith to have a great game. I would go Barrett on O Donoghue and Harrisson on Geaney.
Then its a question of who takes up Donaghy. Vaughan? I dunno? Say you start Vaughan,  then realistically one from Harrison, Boyle, Higgins, Durcan, Barrett, Keegan cant start. Vaughan may have more size than those six but ...........
Keegan is an option. But a sweeper would be essential. Give Keegan a license to attack at will when we are going forward and a sweeper to sit. Force Donaghy to chase a bit maybe. The reality is though, that we don't have a defender to match Donaghy for size. We know that. Our goal should be to control as much possession as we can around the field and discipline will be crucial also. Donaghy did us in drawn game in 14 but the killer ball came in from distance from David Moran. He was able to line up the perfect diagonal ball because we were down to 14 for so long and no pressure was able to get to him. It still could have been prevented with better presence at the back I know, but pressure on Moran disrupting that kick and there would have been no Limerick and a fresh Mayo team in the final.
Caff has become the forgotten man of Mayo football and that's a pity. I think he's an excellent man marker and and has what it takes to be a good corner back. I don't think he could do a man to man on Donaghy but he could well give Jamesy a headache if put on him.
This isn't Limerick '14 either and Donaghy isn't the man he used to be. I still fear him but only if he is left unmarked or his marker stands off him.  I think Vaughan is the man to niggle the fecker and hassle him all the way. Jamesy has spent a lot of time on the injured list since that day in Limerick three years ago. He just can't be as sharp as he was back then.
However, if you ask me, the winning or losing of the game will depend on what happens in midfield.
Stopping Moran and Maher getting plenty of  possession is going to be impossible but preventing them from having the time and freedom to pinpoint their passes into Donaghy vital to our chances. Tom and Seamie is the best duo we have without a doubt and we'll do better there than we did in Limerick. This time out, Clarkie is in goal and unless it's my imagination playing tricks, his kick outs have improved immeasurably since the controversy last September.
All in all, I'm 50/50 on this one.  A display like the last day with the lessons to be learnt from it taken onboard.
I've covered a few bets from some cute hoors I know and this time around they were looking for tenner bets not twenties or fifties as in other years.

look i hate criticizing mayo players before a match . even if they are from ballina
but Caff cannot catch kick or solo a ball , has no vision and is (by county standards) very slow . it was almost embarresing the first day against roscommon when moving the ball out the other mayo players were doing anything other than pass to hime and even the rossies know from the lick outs that he did not need to be covered ,
it was as though he was one of prenty's sons that used be given a run on a regular basis but people know better than to pass to them.
There are certain players he could completely shut out of a game as he can be an excellent man marker but i dont think geaney o donoughoe or Donaghy are in that bracket.

Youre jokin right? 😅😅
regan too

Bring in Barry Heffernan for Clarkie,Paul McGuinness for Regan and Rochford can put himself in for Caff!! ;D
Although Ros all them Cross lads (as well as Thomas Loftus) did turn their back on you and played rugby for Ballina RFC!!!! :o
If Archie's reopens and Muredach's is bulldozed would the Stephenites boys be allowed to try their hand at county ball then?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on August 15, 2017, 03:53:39 PM
QuoteExpect to see the Kingdom win this one pulling up. Much the same as the Galway game.

I wouldn't go that far but Kerry are clear favorites in everyones eyes. We will give a better account of ourselves than Galway did.

Agree. Winning the middle third is crucial in this one.  I expect to be a battle. Whether or not it will be enough to win it is another thing. Unfortunately I think Thy Kingdom Come's words will prove to be prophetic, but it will be tighter than people think. It'd be great if Kerry had a load of wides against us for a change.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 15, 2017, 04:31:48 PM
Quote from: highorlow on August 15, 2017, 03:53:39 PM
QuoteExpect to see the Kingdom win this one pulling up. Much the same as the Galway game.

I wouldn't go that far but Kerry are clear favorites in everyones eyes. We will give a better account of ourselves than Galway did.

Agree. Winning the middle third is crucial in this one.  I expect to be a battle. Whether or not it will be enough to win it is another thing. Unfortunately I think Thy Kingdom Come's words will prove to be prophetic, but it will be tighter than people think. It'd be great if Kerry had a load of wides against us for a change.

The only way thatll happen is if we kick so many wides more than them that it makes their wides insignificant 😅

Mayo4Sam14

rosnarun

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 15, 2017, 04:25:18 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 15, 2017, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 15, 2017, 04:10:31 PM

O'Donoghue?

What about him?

Could keegan mark him?

Youre jokin right? 😅😅
regan too

Bring in Barry Heffernan for Clarkie,Paul McGuinness for Regan and Rochford can put himself in for Caff!! ;D
Although Ros all them Cross lads (as well as Thomas Loftus) did turn their back on you and played rugby for Ballina RFC!!!! :o
If Archie's reopens and Muredach's is bulldozed would the Stephenites boys be allowed to try their hand at county ball then?
from my brief spell as a boarder there i approve of the demolition of Muredach's,
i played with some of those lads in BRFC   but we made sure we cleared out of the place before the football started .

God id forgive all  for  Archie's  Texan burger now

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

criostlinn

Quote from: heffo on August 15, 2017, 03:41:05 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 15, 2017, 02:36:38 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on August 15, 2017, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 15, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 15, 2017, 07:08:05 AM
Vaughan is tough as nails

He tried to rough up Ciaran Kilkenny in the 2015 semi-final before throw-in and bounced off him and had to go off injured from it.

I'm not sure he's really that tough. Kilkenny isn't exactly Eamonn Heery either.

Not calling Kilkenny's toughness into question but Vaughan had a bad shoulder injury going into that game and should never have started really and definitely shouldn't have got into a shouldering bust up with anyone one of the Dubs that day.

Now Eamonn Heery he could cut you in half as quick as a flash!!

Oh ya the shoulder injury.
Why did you have to ruin such a great story. It was far better the way heffo told it.

Strange that he'd initiate a shouldering contest with someone when he's carrying a shoulder injury.

Anyhoo, anyone who rolls around on the ground clutching his face, Brian Dooher style, can't be described as hard as nails.
Are you actually typing this with a straight face
It's gas the dub coming in here talking about hard men rolling around clutching their faces considering some of the antics of Philly and Jonny lately.
Please never stop. This stuff is brilliant

Blowitupref

Peter Canavan thinks Kerry will edge a physical and competitive semi final this Sunday, he has been fairly spot on with all his pre match predictions so far this summer.

http://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30543/10989583/gaa-watch-football-legend-peter-canavan-on-sundays-all-ireland-smei-final-kerry-v-mayo
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 15, 2017, 05:52:42 PM
Peter Canavan thinks Kerry will edge a physical and competitive semi final this Sunday, he has been fairly spot on with all his pre match predictions so far this summer.

http://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30543/10989583/gaa-watch-football-legend-peter-canavan-on-sundays-all-ireland-smei-final-kerry-v-mayo

From the written piece in that...very poor reporting..."As Munster champions, Kerry received a bye to the All-Ireland semi-finals, but as such haven't played since July 2, whereas Mayo have had to play five games to get to this point." 

rosnarun

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 15, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 15, 2017, 05:52:42 PM

From the written piece in that...very poor reporting..."As Munster champions, Kerry received a bye to the All-Ireland semi-finals, but as such haven't played since July 2, whereas Mayo have had to play five games to get to this point." 
if God says thats what happened then thats the way it was
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

I hope Mayo can realise how good they are, forget who Kerry are and bate them.  We need it for the Connacht double.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 09:12:15 PM
I hope Mayo can realise how good they are, forget who Kerry are and bate them.  We need it for the Connacht double.

I'm afraid I'll be supporting the blahs in the hurling seaf

REDCOL

Clarke

Harrisson           Keegan         Barrett

Boyle                Vaughan        Durcan

O Shea     Parsons

McLoughlin        O Shea         O Connor

Higgins             Moran          O Connor

Hennelly, Cafferkey,  Coen, Drake,  Nally, Moran, Doherty, Loftus, Kirby, Dillon, O Shea

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: REDCOL on August 16, 2017, 09:13:17 AM
                          Clarke

Harrisson           Keegan         Barrett

Boyle                Vaughan        Durcan

O Shea     Parsons

McLoughlin        O Shea         O Connor

Higgins             Moran          O Connor

Hennelly, Cafferkey,  Coen, Drake,  Nally, Moran, Doherty, Loftus, Kirby, Dillon, O Shea

Seems like a waste of Keegan at full back, could swap with vaughan? And im assuming you have higgins playin sweeper?