Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

longballin

Can it go to point difference in the league table? Im guessing it can

Ball Hopper

Quote from: longballin on July 02, 2018, 04:58:27 PM

In the event of teams finishing on equal points the tie shall be decide by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the Group

(ii) Score difference - subtracting the total scores against from the total scores for

(iii) Highest total score for

(iv) Highest total goals for

(v) a play-off

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 02, 2018, 05:17:27 PM

In the event of teams finishing on equal points the tie shall be decide by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the Group

(ii) Score difference - subtracting the total scores against from the total scores for

(v) a play-off

Highly unlikely, but what if three teams are level on points and are equal on (i)-(iii)? Obviously there can't be a three team play off. Also where did you find this list?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2018, 05:25:56 PM

(v) a play-off

Highly unlikely, but what if three teams are level on points and are equal on (i)-(iii)? Obviously there can't be a three team play off. Also where did you find this list?

http://www.gaa.ie/sportteller-content/stories/1/1/da3cc421-de34-4bdf-acdf-8588f1e77048/index.html#Slide_6

Quite a decent document that.

If three teams are level, the odds of they all having identical scoring records would be astronomical.  One team would surely be eliminated and the other two might get a play-off if everything else was level.

Even the soccer World Cup groups had something similar - remember 1994 with Ireland's group - all 4 teams on 4 points and all 4 with a goal difference of 0.  It got sorted on goals for deciding first and fourth - deciding second came down to the game between the two (Ireland beat Italy 1-0).

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 02, 2018, 05:37:45 PM

(v) a play-off

http://www.gaa.ie/sportteller-content/stories/1/1/da3cc421-de34-4bdf-acdf-8588f1e77048/index.html#Slide_6

If three teams are level, the odds of they all having identical scoring records would be astronomical.  One team would surely be eliminated and the other two might get a play-off if everything else was level.

Even the soccer World Cup groups had something similar - remember 1994 with Ireland's group - all 4 teams on 4 points and all 4 with a goal difference of 0.  It got sorted on goals for deciding first and fourth - deciding second came down to the game between the two (Ireland beat Italy 1-0).

Where does it say that in the document?
Also no matter how unlikely surely the Newbridge saga will have taught the GAA they need to have all eventualities accounted for
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2018, 06:45:32 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 02, 2018, 05:37:45 PM

(v) a play-off

Where does it say that in the document?
Also no matter how unlikely surely the Newbridge saga will have taught the GAA they need to have all eventualities accounted for

Did you click the link?  Should open on slide 6. 

GalwayBayBoy

Just listening to the GAA Hour there and the boys brought it up but a bit mad to think the Rossies can get into the Super 8's by beating just Leitrim and Armagh. Luck of the draw I know.

Paudi Meehan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 02, 2018, 07:13:20 PM
Just listening to the GAA Hour there and the boys brought it up but a bit mad to think the Rossies can get into the Super 8's by beating just Leitrim and Armagh. Luck of the draw I know.

Except that lucky draw isn't available to everyone...

Syferus

Isn't it mad that random draws throw up random results, lads?!

Manning18

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 07:20:35 PM

Is anyone suggesting it's fixed? Just someone pointing out one of the poxiest draws in the history of the GAA. And it's happened twice to Roscommon in 3 years, although they didn't take advantage the first time by losing to Clare two years back.

Something they need to look at if provincial losers continue to only need one game to make the Super 8s. Never understood why provincial losers didn't enter the qualifiers at R3 and have the 8 qualifiers pair off in R4

Rossfan

Ros played 5 games in Connacht in 2016  ;)
As long as the Provincial Championships continue to be so integrated into the AI series inequalities will continue.
Monaghan play Waterford, Laythrum and now Laois. Soft or what?
Mind you they probably thought the same when facing Fermanagh.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2018, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 07:20:35 PM

Is anyone suggesting it's fixed? Just someone pointing out one of the poxiest draws in the history of the GAA. And it's happened twice to Roscommon in 3 years, although they didn't take advantage the first time by losing to Clare two years back.

Something they need to look at if provincial losers continue to only need one game to make the Super 8s. Never understood why provincial losers didn't enter the qualifiers at R3 and have the 8 qualifiers pair off in R4

If you don't understand why then you need to look at schedule that the Quailifiers and provincial championship were run off for years.

Indeed even this year only Roscommon have a fair three week break from losing a provincial final. 7 and 13 day turnarounds are a bit mad in that context so to try and make it any tougher on them would be insane and devalue the only tournaments all but one county even have a chance of winning in the championship.

Captain Obvious

What idiot lads brought that up? Kildare thought they got the luck of the draw when paired with Armagh last year.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 02, 2018, 07:56:37 PM
What idiot lads brought that up? Kildare thought they got the luck of the draw when paired with Armagh last year.

Very defensive.