Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 07:13:01 PM
Quote from: ck on July 09, 2018, 07:09:00 PM
Any sign of Super 8 fixtures for next 3 wks??? Why the delay?
CCCC get the finger out

I'd imagine they're going to see which teams win this weekend from the qualifiers playing each other and decide where to stick TV cameras next week. That will decide the day/time of the games. They certainly won't show all 4 games again next weekend.

Both rights owners literally saved up games just to be able to do that.

Jayop

I thought they were still a few games short of having the ability to show all twelve games.

Syferus

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 07:48:05 PM
I thought they were still a few games short of having the ability to show all twelve games.

If they don't it will be potential dead rubbers next week more than ones next weekend that are likely to miss the cut. No one will be eliminated by next weekend.

Rossfan

Quote from: lenny on July 09, 2018, 06:53:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2018, 06:42:45 PM
Just wondering how do people in the 17 Football Counties that haven't made the last 8 feel about it now?

8 + 17 = 25. Maths not your strong point. As a gaa fan from one of the crap 24s I'm a bit ambivalent about the super 8s. Just patiently waiting for the real action to start in the AI semifinals.
Reading obviously not your strong point.
I said FOOTBALL COUNTIES.
The hurley counties couldn't give 2 hoots.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Just wondering how do people in the 17 Football Counties that haven't made the last 8 feel about it now?

This whole super 8s thing seems very commercial, not to mention unmanly; tbh, I'm glad we're out of it now

Jayop

I don't like a lot of what the Super 8 stands for and it could have been achieved in a much more equitable manner but by God now we're here I just can't wait. I don't see one game that couldn't potentially be a clinker and few enough games even week 4 that could be 100% dead rubbers. Bring it on baby!!

larryin89

Of course you'd like your county to be there in the thick of it but from a Mayo perspective as the days have rolled in since defeat in newbridge , it's like ahh sure we as a county need a break . Genuinely need a break , it's been an absolutely crazy intesive eight years of constant battles and of course the heartbreak in the end . But like I said genuinely now looking forward to just watching it all unfold. 

Best of luck to yerselves and Galway , I'm not sure either are at the stage to challenge properly for Sam Maguire but deservingly in the last eight on merit.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Jinxy

We're going to give the Super 8s a couple of years to iron out any teething problems before we get involved.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jayop

It'll certainly save the Mayo wans a few euro after all you've had to spend on trips around the country the last few years.

I've a holiday booked at the end of August and the big problem now is trying to decide what games I can afford to go to. Will try to get to two of the Super 8 games anyway and I'm thinking the game in Omagh and the game in Ballybofey will be the ones to go to. Of course them being exciting depends a lot on getting something at the weekend.

Farrandeelin

The super 17 is where it's at.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

WT4E

Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2018, 05:25:55 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 09, 2018, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2018, 11:55:00 PM
Tyrone will probably need to win two games i can't see them beating Dublin and Ballybofey is one of the toughest places to pick up a victory

Interesting that so many people are putting alot of weight behind Donegals home record. I would discount the league as you just never know who have there best team out or experimenting at that time of the year.

When you look at their record over the last 10 years in championship They have played 14 losing 4 and winning 10. Of those 10 they have beaten:

Antrim x 2
Derry x 2
Fermanagh
08 Roscommon
Carlow
09 Clare
Cavan
Tyrone

Its a mixed bag of talent in there so not as if they have been beaten top teams all along. The day they beat Tyrone there there was a nasty atmosphere at the game from memory with Donegal really hyped up to beat Tyrone - I don't think that will be matched this time around. Tyrone have had the better of Donegal in the last seaon or two.

I am confident that Tyrone can turn them over when they meet.

Donegal haven't lost ANY game in Ballybofey since 2010. In the two years before that they lost there to Derry, Antrim and Monaghan in championship. Shows you the change McGuinness precipitated.

BTW Tyrone were beaten there in the championship in 2013 AND 2015. Not that I think that matters much this year. Tyrone did hammer us last year (2016 was a toss up), while we have lost our primary attacker going into the Super 8s.

But I still fancy a nice hostile welcome for the Tyronies, assuming there is anything to play for on our part.

I stand corrected so I missed the 2013 game. Should be a bit of spice alright considering Bonners history with Tyrone! Hopefully both teams go into the game with something to play for then it should be a cracker!

maigheo

. For me it has been brutal being knocked out so early.Finding  myself wishing the whole damm thing was over already and could not care less right now who wins the All Ireland.

Rossfan

And if you were from a County that's gone early every year?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The examiner article that Jinxy linked to yesterday is well worth a  read

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/eight-super-heroes-battle-for-control-of-the-football-universe-853841.html

Some points keep on recurring eg possible Tyrone fatigue, Donegal without McBrearty, Kerry reformulated 

mup

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2018, 09:23:19 AM
The examiner article that Jinxy linked to yesterday is well worth a  read

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/eight-super-heroes-battle-for-control-of-the-football-universe-853841.html

Some points keep on recurring eg possible Tyrone fatigue, Donegal without McBrearty, Kerry reformulated

The examiner were contradicting themselves yesterday. They usually do a summary of each game. While the journalists were different one mentioned fatigue would be a factor for Kildare and the other never mentioned fatigue for Monaghan. Both have played 5 games.