Jimmy Barry Murphy

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 30, 2015, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Syferus

The Second Coming era was a bit of a fizzle out wasn't it?

deiseach

JBM on the 21

Always remember his comment after the defeat to Clare in the All Ireland replay.
"We will take our beating now like men and we will move on." Summed up the character of the man.

johnneycool

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on August 31, 2015, 06:39:05 PM

Always remember his comment after the defeat to Clare in the All Ireland replay.
"We will take our beating now like men and we will move on." Summed up the character of the man.

JBM will always be a legend on Leeside, the players will take the brunt of the blame for the abject performances the last year or so and for once rightly.
When JBM said he believed that some of the panel just weren't up to it after the Galway defeat, he'd made his intentions clear then IMO as there was no way he could go back after that.

Is it time for the recently retirees who were very vocal the last few years to turn it around?

deiseach

His reaction when Clare got the equaliser in added time of added time was priceless. He has always lived by Kipling's maxim regarding Triumph and Disaster.

Bord na Mona man

I only remember the end of his playing days, but as a manager he always carried himself with class. His style wasn't to get in involved in referee bashing, feuding, media games, sideline shenanigans and the stuff that other managers indulge in.

His teams usually tried to play a more fast and open style of hurling and avoided the crash test dummy stuff. There are several accounts of how he quit gaelic football because he tired of being a target for thuggish corner backs and referees who turned a blind eye.

that said, he was also ruthless enough and smart enough to successfully to purge the remnants of the Siptu gang from Cork without signing his own managerial death warrant.

AZOffaly

I have great time for JBM. Always a class act as a manager, and obviously his playing record speaks for itself. As a neutral, you'd always like JBM to do well, and that's quite an achievement when the team he is managing is Cork!

Canalman

Don't think he will or ever get the credit for getting within seconds and a miracle point of winning the AI in 2013.
He imo anyway had the worst batch of Cork hurlers at his disposal I have ever seen.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on September 02, 2015, 10:31:29 AM
Don't think he will or ever get the credit for getting within seconds and a miracle point of winning the AI in 2013.
He imo anyway had the worst batch of Cork hurlers at his disposal I have ever seen.

Cork hurling has gone back in terms of the stuff you expect Cork to be good at. Striking, first touch, accuracy etc. Their U21s against Waterford this year were a fright to see in terms of those attributes. Having said that, ALL the Underage tournaments this past weekend were won by Cork Development Squads, so maybe they've corrected course.

themac_23

Few rumours going round that he is interested in the poison chalice that is the antrim job? don't know if it could be a good idea, Antrim is at its lowest for quite a while but this year we will have 2 realistic targets that can also bring silverware, win Div 2 and the Christy Ring. This might not sound like much but a problem Antrim have is getting our best players out especially when the remit for the year is try stay up and not take too many tankings, JBM could get commitment out of the lads by having the carrot of winning games winning medals and restoring pride, probably rumours but would be brilliant for Antrim/ Ulster hurling if it could be done.

AZOffaly

God it would be a long haul up to Antrim for him. sure Offaly's half that :)

imtommygunn

While I would love it if he went to antrim I'd be shocked.