The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Quote from: whitey on August 20, 2020, 02:07:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2020, 01:57:35 PM
Why do you "detest" her based on the Kavanaugh hearings?

Who did she falsely accuse of being a racist?

Who are you going to vote now that you apparently have no choice but to not vote for Biden?

She set out to destroy a good persons character based on a complete pack of lies from Dr Ford

She accused Joe Biden of being a racist

I don't know who I'm going to vote for, but as my vote doesn't really count I may protest vote a third party candidate. (I actually like Joe and if he had picked anyone else I probably would have voted for him)

Her exact words were "I do not believe you are a racist"

johnnycool

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 20, 2020, 03:17:28 PM
Quote from: dec on August 20, 2020, 03:16:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2020, 02:52:57 PM
Bannon has just been indicted for fraud and money laundering

Every last one of them is a criminal

The whole Trump operation is a criminal enterprise and always has been

My thoughts and prayers are with him at this time.

Obviously innocent until proven guilty in a court of your peers, but if morons wanted to give money to such a cause they obviously didn't need it and they deserved all they get.

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 20, 2020, 03:16:42 PM
SHE FALSELY ACCUSED HIM OF BEING A RACIST

You can play verbal gymnastics until doomsday, but that doesn't change what she did and how her comments were interpreted by most people who heard them

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/27/harris-attacks-bidens-record-on-busing-and-working-with-segregationists.html

Directly from Biden campaign after the debate- Cristobal Alex, a senior advisor to Biden's campaign, tweeted that it was "outrageous" to attack President Barack Obama's veep "because he worked to convince" Republicans to pass civil rights legislation.

OUTRAGEOUS AND AN ATTACK

I don't know what Alex is on about, but the segregationists in question were also Democrats. There were a few of the Dixiecrats still lingering on in the 70s as the rest of the party became estranged from the south. They all worked together, not just Biden, but also even the likes of Ted Kennedy. And it wasn't just Harris criticizing Biden's comments at the time last year. FFS he even made a thing of the fact that the racist Eastland called him "son" instead of "boy"! The context of what he was talking about was the comity that existed and the ability to work together despite idealogical differences, but it was a typical Biden unscripted gaffe, not thinking through what he was saying before he said it.

None of that means that she was calling him a racist. No doubt she was trying to paint him, for her own benefit, as an out-of-touch, obsolete dinosaur, but that's not the same thing. That a campaign official would try to depict a rival's comments in the worst possible manner is not really a shock either.

J70

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 20, 2020, 03:17:28 PM
Quote from: dec on August 20, 2020, 03:16:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2020, 02:52:57 PM
Bannon has just been indicted for fraud and money laundering

Every last one of them is a criminal

The whole Trump operation is a criminal enterprise and always has been

My thoughts and prayers are with him at this time.

;D

Gabriel_Hurl

Some Olympic level brain (or lack of in his case) gymnastics from Mr. Anecdote / Storyteller up there

I mean - the entire exchange is online.

Maybe Youtube have worked with MSDNC and the NYT to edit this  ::)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xb8b8KRrLg

whitey

Quote from: dec on August 20, 2020, 03:28:29 PM

Who are you going to vote now that you apparently have no choice but to not vote for Biden?

She set out to destroy a good persons character based on a complete pack of lies from Dr Ford

I don't know who I'm going to vote for, but as my vote doesn't really count I may protest vote a third party candidate. (I actually like Joe and if he had picked anyone else I probably would have voted for him)

Hahaha

So if I said "with all due respect, go fvck yourself" that you wouldn't be offended because I said "with all due respect first"

Believe what you guys want, but now Trump has a perfect out when Joe confronts him on race during the 3 debates (and Pence has a perfect out when Kamala confronts him as she accepted the VP nomination from someone she openly accused of being a racist)

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 20, 2020, 03:40:47 PM
Quote from: dec on August 20, 2020, 03:28:29 PM

Hahaha

So if I said "with all due respect, go fvck yourself" that you wouldn't be offended because I said "with all due respect first"

Believe what you guys want, but now Trump has a perfect out when Joe confronts him on race during the 3 debates (and Pence has a perfect out when Kamala confronts him as she accepted the VP nomination from someone she openly accused of being a racist)

A perfect out among those with a kindergarten-level understanding of the world.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2020, 03:34:36 PM

You can play verbal gymnastics until doomsday, but that doesn't change what she did and how her comments were interpreted by most people who heard them

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/27/harris-attacks-bidens-record-on-busing-and-working-with-segregationists.html

Directly from Biden campaign after the debate- Cristobal Alex, a senior advisor to Biden's campaign, tweeted that it was "outrageous" to attack President Barack Obama's veep "because he worked to convince" Republicans to pass civil rights legislation.

OUTRAGEOUS AND AN ATTACK

I don't know what Alex is on about, but the segregationists in question were also Democrats. There were a few of the Dixiecrats still lingering on in the 70s as the rest of the party became estranged from the south. They all worked together, not just Biden, but also even the likes of Ted Kennedy. And it wasn't just Harris criticizing Biden's comments at the time last year. FFS he even made a thing of the fact that the racist Eastland called him "son" instead of "boy"! The context of what he was talking about was the comity that existed and the ability to work together despite idealogical differences, but it was a typical Biden unscripted gaffe, not thinking through what he was saying before he said it.

None of that means that she was calling him a racist. No doubt she was trying to paint him, for her own benefit, as an out-of-touch, obsolete dinosaur, but that's not the same thing. That a campaign official would try to depict a rival's comments in the worst possible manner is not really a shock either.

J70-your outdoing yourself in the propaganda department

Joes own campaign and his own wife heard what I heard and you're still denying she IMPLIED he was a racist

. So maybe she didn't say the actual words-you're a racist, but she sure as hell IMPLIED  he was, and on multiple fronts for good measure

If I'm team Trump I'm coming at him hard on this.

And that's why the MSM are in panic mode denying she IMPLIED he was a racist during the debate

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 20, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2020, 03:34:36 PM

OUTRAGEOUS AND AN ATTACK

J70-your outdoing yourself in the propaganda department

Joes own campaign and his own wife heard what I heard and you're still denying she IMPLIED he was a racist

. So maybe she didn't say the actual words-you're a racist, but she sure as hell IMPLIED  he was, and on multiple fronts for good measure

If I'm team Trump I'm coming at him hard on this.

And that's why the MSM are in panic mode denying she IMPLIED he was a racist during the debate

If you're Team Trump, you haven't got a f**king leg to stand on to "come at" Biden on the issue of race. The issues Harris was asking Biden to defend were busing and friendliness with other politicians on a personal level even when there were major, consequential ideological differences. On busing, if Trump wants to go there, he can, but I fail to see how he could, given the positions of the two parties and their bases to this day. All Biden has to do is concede that in retrospect his position was wrong. Will Trump and the GOP concede that busing was wrong? I seriously doubt it.  Will Trump denounce his racist supporters? Will he stop trying to use confederate flags and statues to rally his base? You know he won't.

On the comity thing, I've already addressed this. It was simply the way politics was done at the time. And indeed, part of the attraction of Biden is his decency and personal amiability, his ability to work across the political divide, which in direct contrast to the narcissism and utterly transactional nature of Trump's way of interacting with other people and something that many people would like to see return to DC. Neither of these are winning issues for Trump. Especially when it was the black leadership and voters of South Carolina which basically propelled Biden to the nomination in the first place. And especially when he served as VP to the first black president and now has selected the first black woman (same black woman who supposedly called him a racist) to appear on the ticket of one of the two major parties.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteIf you're Team Trump, you haven't got a f**king leg to stand on to "come at" Biden on the issue of race.

What do you mean? He's the least racist person in the world.

"Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. ... I think that the guy is lazy. And it's probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It's not anything they can control."

Eamonnca1

Trumpers can't understand why Biden would appoint someone to an important post after having aggressively challenged him in the primary. Trump surrounds himself with Yes men and holds grudges against anyone who ever offended his delicate sensibility. Hell, his entire presidential campaign was a response to Obama roasting him at the White House correspondents' dinner a few years back; the miserable humourless oul ballix couldn't take a joke.

Biden is the kind of politician (you know? An adult!) who doesn't mind being challenged because he's mature enough to understand that you have to be able to work with people who don't agree with absolutely everything you say. Trump can't work with anyone at all. Not even Steve "white supremacist" Bannon or John "let's invade Iraq and it'll fix all the problems of the Middle East" Bolton.

Eamonnca1

QuoteTrump must turn over tax returns to NY prosecutors, judge rules

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero amounted to a second loss in Trump's high-stakes court battle with Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance.

By Tom Winter and Rich Schapiro
A federal judge on Thursday denied President Donald Trump's latest attempt to quash a probe by New York prosecutors seeking his tax returns and other financial documents.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero amounted to a second loss in Trump's high-stakes court battle with Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance.

Marrero had earlier rejected Trump's initial attempt to block a subpoena from Vance seeking eight years of the president's tax returns.

The Supreme Court ruled last month that the president is not immune from a grand jury subpoena while in office but said Trump could use an alternative argument to fight it.

In his 103-page ruling, Marrero rejected Trump's new argument that Vance's subpoena is "wildly broad" and was issued in "bad faith."

"At its core, it amounts to absolute immunity through a back door, an entry point through which not only a President but also potentially other persons and entities, public and private, could effectively gain cover from judicial process," Marrero wrote.

The decision moves Vance one step closer to obtaining the president's financial records. But within just a few hours of the ruling, Trump's lawyers filed an emergency motion appealing the decision and asking for a freeze on the case.

"The President respectfully disagrees with that decision and believes there is a likelihood of reversal on appeal," Trump's lawyers wrote. "But what matters most at this point is that, absent a stay, the subpoena will be enforced before the President has been afforded any appellate review of his overbreadth and bad-faith claims."

Vance's office subpoenaed Trump's accounting firm, Mazars USA, in 2019 as part of an investigation into the Trump Organization about payments made to two women who have alleged affairs with the president, which he has denied. In a court filing earlier this month, Vance's office suggested the investigation goes beyond the payments to include alleged insurance and bank fraud.

A spokesman for Vance's office declined comment.

Slap it up him.

Eamonnca1

sid waddell

You'd think that a US president would strongly comdemn the deliberate poisoning of Russia's main opposition figure...oh wait

Eamonnca1

The chaos continues. Now farmers are the latest victims of this incompetent shitshow of an administration:

QuoteThousands of chicks arrive dead to farmers amid USPS turmoil

At least 4,800 chicks shipped to Maine farmers through the U.S. Postal Service have arrived dead in recent weeks after rapid cuts hit the federal mail carrier's operations, U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree said.

Pingree, a Maine Democrat, is raising the issue of the dead chicks and the losses farms are facing in a letter to Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and U.S. Department of Agriculture Commissioner Sonny Perdue, The Portland Press Herald reported.

Pauline Henderson, who owns Pine Tree Poultry in New Sharon, Maine, told the newspaper she was shocked last week when all of the 800 chicks sent to her from a hatchery in Pennsylvania were dead.

"Usually they arrive every three weeks like clockwork," she said. "And out of 100 birds you may have one or two that die in shipping."

Thousands of birds that moved through the Postal Service's processing center in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, were also dead, impacting several farms in Maine and New Hampshire, Henderson said.

A message seeking comment was left Thursday for the U.S. Postal Service.

"It's one more of the consequences of this disorganization, this sort of chaos they've created at the post office and nobody thought through when they were thinking of slowing down the mail," Pingree said, adding that her office has received dozens of complaints from farmers and others trying to raise a small flock of chickens in the backyard.

READ MORE: How USPS policies and the pandemic could create mail-in voting 'perfect storm'

Pingree said she isn't sure if Perdue is aware of how the changes in the Postal Service are impacting smaller poultry farmers in the U.S.

"This is a system that's always worked before and it's worked very well until these changes started being made," Pingree said.

DeJoy, a Republican donor who's the first postmaster general who did not come from the ranks of the Postal Service, took control of the agency in June and has since swiftly engineered cuts and operational changes that are disrupting mail delivery operations. In Maine, two mail-sorting machines were dismantled at the state's postal distribution hub.

He announced Tuesday he would halt some changes to mail delivery that critics blamed for widespread delays and warned could disrupt the November election, which is expected to bring a surge of mail-in ballots because of the coronavirus pandemic.

DeJoy is scheduled to testify before the Senate on Friday.

President Donald Trump made clear last week that he was blocking $25 billion in emergency aid to the Postal Service, acknowledging he wanted to curtail election mail operations, as well as a Democratic proposal to provide $3.6 billion in additional election money to the states to help process mail-in ballots.

Those funds are tangled in a broader coronavirus aid package that was approved in the House but stalled in the Senate.

The Postal Service is the only entity that ships live chicks and other small animals and has done so since 1918, according to the service's website.

"Rural Americans, including agricultural producers, disproportionately rely on USPS for their livelihoods, and it is essential that they receive reliable service," Pingree said.