Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 15, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2016, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 15, 2016, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: Hectic on December 15, 2016, 02:17:03 PM
Bollocks to amalgamations before everything possible is done to increase the base and that would apply strongest to the city.  Fair enough if everything has been done to maximize participation but I do not believe this is the case.  Our unrealised potential as a county lies largely within the untapped potential in Belfast City.

Lets just not mention it again, you'll only upset a few people and clearly us culchies know nothing about City Life and City GAA. Maybe we should have a North & South West county team and a different county team for the City lads.

paddy, do SW and north Antrim have teams that amalgamate?

Nah, we'll cherry pick the good ones and the rest can go do what they want

Thats what I thought
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2016, 10:48:28 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 15, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2016, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 15, 2016, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: Hectic on December 15, 2016, 02:17:03 PM
Bollocks to amalgamations before everything possible is done to increase the base and that would apply strongest to the city.  Fair enough if everything has been done to maximize participation but I do not believe this is the case.  Our unrealised potential as a county lies largely within the untapped potential in Belfast City.

Lets just not mention it again, you'll only upset a few people and clearly us culchies know nothing about City Life and City GAA. Maybe we should have a North & South West county team and a different county team for the City lads.

paddy, do SW and north Antrim have teams that amalgamate?

Nah, we'll cherry pick the good ones and the rest can go do what they want

Thats what I thought

Well sure that's what you want to happen with the super clubs in Belfast is it not? Let the best players get better and the crap ones can do what they want.

Galer

Ahoghill mighnt win a chamionship and are a dual club  with the population of less than one street in belfast,the group of players they have achieved everything they possibly could,junior and inter in both codes with maybe 1-3 players comin through every 1-2 yearswhatever there doin there doin it right.many of the senior players hardly had glitering underage careers so it makes it even more immpressive.clubs in belfast have to realise they dont have the right any more to dicate to children/parents they have to go over and above to make our games attractive.great to c a belfast school playing mcrory football,if they can do this regularly it will do a lot for clubs in belfast.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on December 16, 2016, 08:38:18 AM
Ahoghill mighnt win a chamionship and are a dual club  with the population of less than one street in belfast,the group of players they have achieved everything they possibly could,junior and inter in both codes with maybe 1-3 players comin through every 1-2 yearswhatever there doin there doin it right.many of the senior players hardly had glitering underage careers so it makes it even more immpressive.clubs in belfast have to realise they dont have the right any more to dicate to children/parents they have to go over and above to make our games attractive.great to c a belfast school playing mcrory football,if they can do this regularly it will do a lot for clubs in belfast.
You are dead right Galer and indeed such as you state underlines the differences between a club such as Ahoghill and the South Antrim units of our Association.
Ahoghill are functioning with credit and with notable success in a small catchment area, and indeed in the midst of an area not entirely GAA friendly which is in total contrast to more than a few Belfast clubs.

Milltown Row2

Using Ahoghill as their facilities are second to none well Creggan is fantastic set up as well, my point stands... great changing rooms won't win championships... and memories are very short here or some posters are 14 years of age
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2016, 11:13:19 AM

Using Ahoghill as their facilities are second to none well Creggan is fantastic set up as well, my point stands... great changing rooms won't win championships... and memories are very short here or some posters are 14 years of age

Is it all about winning championships? I'd take a country club over a city club any day, no matter what the success is.

theskull1

Quote from: JimStynes on December 16, 2016, 12:14:08 PM
Is it all about winning championships? I'd take a country club over a city club any day, no matter what the success is.

Appears that subtle point is being lost in some quarters. If too much focus is placed on silverware being the true measure of success then you're goosed IMO.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Cause youre from the country, thats simple lad...... And your clubs aspirations are what next year?

ensuring the club thrives and has outlets for all its playing members is obviously the main goal, creating an enviornment that has the core foundations of the Gaa behind it, is what everyone whats.... set that to the side and the club still trains to win the championship that its in, be it under 12, Junior Intermediate or Senior, otherwise why do players, managers put in the effort from Jan throught to October?

City V Country clubs..... Oh why oh why does it get round to this? maybe one of the reasons as to why Antrim underperforms so many times

I'm not even sure where this topic started.... Clubs amalgamating in Belfast is just a point brought up at county convention, all of a sudden the SW lads got a bit worried... my 2 cents worth is there are too many Belfast clubs and that hasnt changed and anyone involved with any cub in Belfast will tell you that, been saying it for years... and you cant put a Parish in Belfast, its not the 1920's...

I cant see any agreement on it as people dont want to lose their identity so don't worry

paddyjohn

Quote from: theskull1 on December 16, 2016, 12:49:50 PM

Appears that subtle point is being lost in some quarters. If too much focus is placed on silverware being the true measure of success then you're goosed IMO.

That is how some clubs measure success, its all about winning championships. Of course championships are super to win and I've been lucky enough to win a few but personally my perspective has changed, its now about getting my children out and enjoying their sport and integrating in the club ethos, everything that is good about our games.

In some people eyes the success isn't what happens on the pitch but what happens off it that counts with the club.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 16, 2016, 01:18:12 PM

That is how some clubs measure success, its all about winning championships. Of course championships are super to win and I've been lucky enough to win a few but personally my perspective has changed, its now about getting my children out and enjoying their sport and integrating in the club ethos, everything that is good about our games.

In some people eyes the success isn't what happens on the pitch but what happens off it that counts with the club.

I'm glad its changed and you are all for  loooking after the GAA as a whole...

I love this GAA utopia we are seeing here and i when I'm refereeing next year the goodwill will be spread among the supporters and the refs wont get a hard time because its not about the winning its about taking part

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2016, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 16, 2016, 01:18:12 PM

I'm glad its changed and you are all for  loooking after the GAA as a whole...

I love this GAA utopia we are seeing here and i when I'm refereeing next year the goodwill will be spread among the supporters and the refs wont get a hard time because its not about the winning its about taking part

Refs shouldn't get a hard time anyway. Anyway sure you are a great ref who stays out of the spotlight so you'll be 100%.

country bumpkin

Think if u do cast ur mind back a couple of years MR2 u will find that both Ahoghill and Creggan did win championships.....Ahoghill took Antrim and Ulster titles and Creggan went a step further in gaining Antrim, Ulster, and All Ireland success......and u a hurling man ???

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 16, 2016, 03:13:16 PM

Think if u do cast ur mind back a couple of years MR2 u will find that both Ahoghill and Creggan did win championships.....Ahoghill took Antrim and Ulster titles and Creggan went a step further in gaining Antrim, Ulster, and All Ireland success......and u a hurling man ???

You are either thick or on the wind up!!! sometimes you have good posts about the state of antrim football, club/county then other times i feel like your four year son has hacked your account...

It has nothing to do with facilities those players were brought up on fields that didn't have the facilities they have now, nor did it help them win their championhips, same for us, crap changing rooms means nothing, we didn't have a pitch for 3 years then had 2, the bulk of that championship team trained at St Pats on the Glen road for 3 years when they were juveniles... learning their craft by coaches who were ex players/players who were fathers of the kids training... Like i say these things come in cycles it may be 10 years before we have that luck/hard work again

country bumpkin

Jeez MR2 u do come across as a really arrogant person and although I do not know u it is my perception that u have a superior, know all attitude... ::)

culchie11

Bit rich coming from a know all journalist lol pot and kettle spring to mind George!

Galls haven't won a championship in 2 years and u have them for the scrap heap!

Go through every club in Ireland and there r blow ins involved at some level be it playing or management or committee level!