Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It used to happen more in the intermediate with division 1 teams but does seem to have stopped. Couod be right with rules.

stiffler

Aldergrove played intermediate last year as a div 1 team, so I don't think there is a rule to prevent teams playing championships beneath their league status.

I think glenravel played junior as a div 2 team a few years back too.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

country bumpkin

Quote from: stiffler on February 14, 2017, 10:45:52 PM
Aldergrove played intermediate last year as a div 1 team, so I don't think there is a rule to prevent teams playing championships beneath their league status.

As I said Stiffler no rule exists in Antrim to stop clubs selecting championship status....

Hectic

Quote from: stiffler on February 14, 2017, 10:45:52 PM

Yeah that did not work out well for Aldergrove - as far as I remember they were beaten by their neighbours and Div 2 side Glenavy.  Glenravel won the Junior last year as a div 2 team though unlike Aldergrove they have been spending a lot of time in the Div below lately but as CB says this would suggest no rule.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 14, 2017, 04:42:47 PM
Quote from: stiffler on February 14, 2017, 04:38:18 PM
My predictions:

Cargin
Dunloy
Sarsfields

Big shout there with Dunloy, could go close if they get the hurlers out.

We actually only have 12 dual players on the footballers and alot of them are the minors who came through from last season. Starters for them i would guess about 4 each week so the hurling doesnt impact at all on the football.

i would be hopefully that we could make another county final and get over the line this time.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 15, 2017, 08:46:27 AM
My predictions:

Cargin
Dunloy
Sarsfields

We actually only have 12 dual players on the footballers and alot of them are the minors who came through from last season. Starters for them i would guess about 4 each week so the hurling doesnt impact at all on the football.

i would be hopefully that we could make another county final and get over the line this time.

Big Woody a key man all the same.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hectic on February 15, 2017, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 15, 2017, 08:46:27 AM
My predictions:

Cargin
Dunloy
Sarsfields

Big Woody a key man all the same.
Yeah def, hes a good footballer on top of a hurler but we rarely see him in league action for the football till Antrim hurlers are all finished up.

To be fair we have done well to get to 2 finals in a row and we beat some good sides each time to get there so the ability is there its just getting them all there at one time each game and not burn out the lads who train with the hurlers as well.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

He is a guy who I always enjoy watching play - a bit of a throw back in a lot of ways where you can launch the ball in, watch him rise, gather, turn and find the net - a dying breed.

country bumpkin

Hectic

Would assume so. Have not heard anything different.

country bumpkin

All on it seems except Creggan v Antrim.....now Wed at Dunsilly.

bannside

Looking forward to the start of a new club season. I think this is going to be a particularly interesting year with a lot of teams capable of taking points off each other.

St Galls training hard already which is unheard of for them. Cargin out to prove without doubt they are top dogs in this current era whilst four or five other clubs look to be on a trajectory upward curve but time will tell if this is justified or false optimism.

Hoping we can signal our intent with a victory against Cargin on Sunday and kick on from there.

Hectic

I suppose that is fair enough BS. While I feel Sunday will not be a measure for what is to come it does not mean winning teams cannot use victory to build confidence and stir them on for the beginning of the campaign.

Na Glinntí Glasa

is the new pitch  up and running for games this season BS? i see they have done alot of ground works to the existing pitch around it as well.

Place is looking seriously good now.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on February 16, 2017, 11:03:17 PM
Looking forward to the start of a new club season. I think this is going to be a particularly interesting year with a lot of teams capable of taking points off each other.

St Galls training hard already which is unheard of for them. Cargin out to prove without doubt they are top dogs in this current era whilst four or five other clubs look to be on a trajectory upward curve but time will tell if this is justified or false optimism.

Hoping we can signal our intent with a victory against Cargin on Sunday and kick on from there.
No doubt most will look forward to the start of the club activity BS and indeed such has always been the case in Cargin with the focus again on the championship.
The retention of the title hard won in the past two will most definitely prove just as difficult in 2017.
Upward trajectories is certainly a distinct possibility within the aims of a few but on the evidence of 2016 our nearest and dearest near neighbours from Creggan who came mighty close to upset last year may well prove just ahead of the chasing pack with the Johnnies, Lamh Dearg and maybe Rossa not far behind.
St Gall's can never be discounted and are in contention but the Blues have to gain recovery and last years showing in the '16 final was poor in the extreme. Can they regain in composure after a couple of reversals and back to back championship defeats is the question they need to provide answer.
Cargin have only had a single grass session thus far and although they will be doing of their best on Sunday a defeat by a hungrier and fitter Casement's cannot be ruled out............we lost our first two last year and I am hearing that neither the O'Cahan cup or league are respective prioirities.
The pack may well be closing as you may suggest BS but I have heard such tale before. ;)