Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

One sorry mess after another, is the county season over yet?
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

I think its a necessity that we pull out to allow time for a reset of standards. Put the money saved into a 5 year fund to help bolster looking after development squads. Seems to be a tail off at U17 and Minor that needs to be understood and addressed.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AQMP

Quote from: theskull1 on April 01, 2016, 02:10:38 PM
I think its a necessity that we pull out to allow time for a reset of standards. Put the money saved into a 5 year fund to help bolster looking after development squads. Seems to be a tail off at U17 and Minor that needs to be understood and addressed.

Seems a sensible enough approach to me.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i agree completly. We need to pull out of the Christy Ring and forget all about it for a period of time
hurl like f**k boi!

Saffrongael

Knew it would end in tears with PJ, didn't think it would be so soon
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

btdtgtt

Right or wrong - Maybe something along those lines is at least proactive and an attempt and ending the sleep-walking that exists.
Now that they don't have a vested interest - I'd also sit down with 4/5 previous managers and ask them for confidential and blunt truths about the set up around our county.

BrendanAntrim

You only need to speak one recent manager to get the truth about the set up - and KR told us all the truth plenty of times. It no secret at all.

btdtgtt

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on April 01, 2016, 02:51:17 PM
You only need to speak one recent manager to get the truth about the set up - and KR told us all the truth plenty of times. It no secret at all.

I think we can safely say there's more than one issue wrong with Antrim county hurling.

paddyjohn

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 01, 2016, 03:12:09 PM

I think we can safely say there's more than one issue wrong with Antrim county hurling.

No end of issues.

Where does the repair job start?

Do we pull out of the CR?

Brocky

A lot of previous managers had their own problems but this most recent set has been a complete farce.
I like others thought it was only a matter of time but with the rumours about betting and a lot of other goings on I suppose the best thing or maybe the only thing for the county to do was to ask him to leave.
I feel sorry for the players who want to play for the county but in reality it doesn't leave a lot of options. I can see woody and sambo take charge on a temp basis.

themac_23

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 01, 2016, 03:41:05 PM

No end of issues.

I don't think pulling out of the CR is an option, we are too big a county to not field a senior hurling team. Would maybe be benificial to play the u-21s get them a good few games and let them maybe gel to try give an all Ireland u21 a rattle. Maybe not to win but at least be competitive.

culchie11

I don't think withdrawing from Christy ring will solve the problem. We have cushendall and creggan players to come on board now have we not?! Along with the honest players who were not involved in the whole debacle!

Weed out all involved and move forward.

Saffron vision ala our county board need to stand up and be counted now. I wondered how and why the hurlers were getting overnight stays but the footballers weren't, results prove it isn't best option or way to spend ur budget.

The cushendall story is unfortunately not a joke either.

Games abandoned pre-season also doesn'take good reading for the start of the club season.

Pride & passion for the game of hurling are a log way down some peoples list of objectives of late, time for that to be changed.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2016, 03:54:48 PM
There are many players in the panel who have committed themselves to the cause over the last months and have worked hard. It would be unfair on those players to pull out of competitions they have been training towards. Yes, there are problems. Yes, things haven't worked out but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

+1

Unfortunately this had the potential to end this way from the get go and there will be no gloating about it. It is another sorry chapter in a bad year.

There are plenty of commited lads on the panel to see out the CR withdrawing would be another blight on this season.

To put out a team does not take 4 nights a week training get them back to the clubs and approach it from the basis that the clubs prepare the players to the best of their ability.

btdtgtt

Quote from: themac_23 on April 01, 2016, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 01, 2016, 03:41:05 PM

No end of issues.

I don't think pulling out of the CR is an option, we are too big a county to not field a senior hurling team. Would maybe be benificial to play the u-21s get them a good few games and let them maybe gel to try give an all Ireland u21 a rattle. Maybe not to win but at least be competitive.

Again a fair suggestion. And proactive.
Play the U21s sprinkled with some guys we know have the calibre for senior county hurling - while the club season goes ahead unfettered.

Brocky

Quote from: NAG1 on April 01, 2016, 04:02:48 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2016, 03:54:48 PM
There are many players in the panel who have committed themselves to the cause over the last months and have worked hard. It would be unfair on those players to pull out of competitions they have been training towards. Yes, there are problems. Yes, things haven't worked out but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

+1

Unfortunately this had the potential to end this way from the get go and there will be no gloating about it. It is another sorry chapter in a bad year.

There are plenty of commited lads on the panel to see out the CR withdrawing would be another blight on this season.

To put out a team does not take 4 nights a week training get them back to the clubs and approach it from the basis that the clubs prepare the players to the best of their ability.

Sounds as sensible an option as there is.