Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

After seeing him v Down in Burren, I think Madine might be a bit off starting for Down at the minute.

ardtole

I thought Niall Donnelly had a good championship last year, if he is available I'd like to see him continue at midfield. McKibben surely worth a look at as well, impressed when he came off the bench last year.

Mourne Rover

Sheedy's predicted defence could be pretty close to the actual team, but it is unlikely that we would start with three full forwards and Dornan could miss out. McKernan is usually named in the forward line and played at sweeper. Turley's pace will be an issue on firmer ground in the summer but his physical strength could still be an asset for us at midfield in the  type of conditions we will face on Sunday.

While Down fans will be expecting a win, Louth got promoted ahead of Armagh last year and McGrath will have been targeting this game soon as the fixtures were released. We obviously only have three home matches in D2, which is always a very tight league, so away results in places like Drogheda will probably decide our final placing.

SHEEDY

Quote from: ardtole on January 21, 2018, 01:52:53 PM
I thought Niall Donnelly had a good championship last year, if he is available I'd like to see him continue at midfield. McKibben surely worth a look at as well, impressed when he came off the bench last year.
yeah forgot all about mckibben  :-[ i'd put him on for dornan on my team and play him around the middle, definitely worth a look from the start.
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Sheedy you team looks very good and won't be far away
Lads regarding McKibbon?Why so highly rated?For what reason?
I don't get it

SHEEDY

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 21, 2018, 09:02:40 PM
Sheedy you team looks very good and won't be far away
Lads regarding McKibbon?Why so highly rated?For what reason?
I don't get it
just think he's always been a quality club player and has impressed any time he has come on for Down. He's maybe earned a chance to show what he can do as a starter.
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Probably deserves a chance but doesn't influence the game in any position
For me he floats about the field doing very little
Compare him to our other 2 wing half backs Mooney and o Hanlon and he doesn't come close
I hope I eat my words
What age is he?

Targetman

Definitely need 2 points next Sunday, a win could set us up for a good league campaign, a defeat and it could be a struggle, we should have a fairly strong team out but Pete will have Louth well fired up for us, Down to win by 3.

Predictor

Whats everyones view on new rule
If you dont field u get fined plus are deducted 2 points before the start of next season
So say a  team doesnt field a game in 2018 season they start 2019 season on -2 points

thewobbler

Quote from: Predictor on January 22, 2018, 07:43:32 PM
Whats everyones view on new rule
If you dont field u get fined plus are deducted 2 points before the start of next season
So say a  team doesnt field a game in 2018 season they start 2019 season on -2 points

The clubs have made such measures necessary.

It's quite clever and I'd support it fully. I expect there'll be a few end of season matches when paid managers are sent on their way, and chairmen step into manager duties for the day.

Targetman

Its news to me but good enough, no reason for a team not fielding!

Ed Hardy

Terrible rule, what about the clubs that  are surviving with a panel of 17 or 18 players, a brave lot in Div 4 are.

thewobbler

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 22, 2018, 09:27:23 PM
Terrible rule, what about the clubs that  are surviving with a panel of 17 or 18 players, a brave lot in Div 4 are.

So your solution is to make it okay cancel fixtures?

SamFever

Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2018, 10:17:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 22, 2018, 09:27:23 PM

So your solution is to make it okay cancel fixtures?
Only if Liverpool are on Sky and it clashes with a League fixture.

Bigben36

Is this for hurling & football at senior level? Whats are the fines to be imposed for not fielding. I know a hurling team that is working on a panel of 17 players. Could be trouble ahead.