East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: Walter Cronc
Could Carryduff or Bredagh ever become a major force and win a Down champ in the future? With a lot of GAA ppl moving and settling in South Belfast there's bound to be some growth you'd think.
They only got promoted to division 1 this year so they might be looking to establish themselves at that level first but they are in the top few teams at most underage levels so they would probably be looking at a run in the senior championship in the next few years.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

MoChara

I seen on facebook someone noting that East Belfast has been placed in the United Kingdom GAA Clubs section of the O'Neills Website rather than the Irish Clubs section with all the other clubs across the 32 counties, that'll bristle a few hairs  :D

armaghniac

Quote from: MoChara on August 28, 2020, 11:45:37 AM
I seen on facebook someone noting that East Belfast has been placed in the United Kingdom GAA Clubs section of the O'Neills Website rather than the Irish Clubs section with all the other clubs across the 32 counties, that'll bristle a few hairs  :D

I think it is stupid for O'Neills to have a United Kingdom section of the website, when they really mean Britain.
So it should be properly renamed and East Belfast put in the proper section.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

angermanagement

I see a new cross community club now starting up in Craigavon (Craigavon GAA). I thought there was enough clubs in the area without starting another one.

tonto1888

Quote from: angermanagement on September 15, 2020, 08:00:25 PM
I see a new cross community club now starting up in Craigavon (Craigavon GAA). I thought there was enough clubs in the area without starting another one.

Where are you seeing this

Ed Ricketts

https://twitter.com/CraigavonGaa

Very weird. There's a club in Craigavon already, and 5 or 6 more within five miles of the place.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

GiveItToTheShooters

Agreed. Stupid idea. Gonna be a whole bandwagon of clubs opening up all over the place now.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 15, 2020, 09:31:46 PM
https://twitter.com/CraigavonGaa

Very weird. There's a club in Craigavon already, and 5 or 6 more within five miles of the place.

This can't work. East Belfast can draw on experienced people from country places living around Belfast. Craigavon has few such people and those who have moved there are welcome in one of the existing clubs thereabouts. Cross community is all very fine if there is a cohort of middle ground people who might give it a go, but I doubt it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

The twitter link looks to be dead

Main Street

The new East Belfast GAA club brings up some interesting challenges to the GAA ways.
Fwiw I agree to a large extent with Linda on the national flag and anthem issue. Imo, if a flag is to be flown on a GAA property anywhere, I'd go with the county GAA flag or/and a 4 province 32 county GAA flag.

Regardless, afaiu the GAA constitution Official Guide 1, the national flag does not have to be flown and the anthem does not have to be played.
The individual club can decide but should they decide to (play anthem, fly flag, they're required to follow the protocol.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/wyb4qbqzii6vstod1ygg.pdf
In the GAA constitution, the Official Guide 1,  Aims and Ethos, it just states the protocol for "where the National Anthem precedes a game".

Also, the only reference to a flag is in Aims and Ethos Ch.1.8, where it  states   "a  flag should be flown according to protocol". 
"should"  is not a demand that the flag be flown.
In a  constitution of an Association, the Aims/ Ethos are just aspirational and no matter how deeply felt, they're not part of the constituted law.
In other words, a person /club cannot (legally) be brought to book or busted for a perceived breach of an aspiration even if the aspiration is written down in the constitution.

Also, fwiw, the GAA Official Guide 1 Chapter 1  is a mess. The chapter is titled "Aims and Ethos" and it follows that only the Aims and Ethos of the GAA should be outlined.  Instead there is jumbled mix of rules, aims and ethos, resulting in a lack of coherency.

LCohen

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 15, 2020, 09:48:06 PM
Agreed. Stupid idea. Gonna be a whole bandwagon of clubs opening up all over the place now.
Hardly a stupid idea. Maybe it won't work. No idea has a monopoly on success. But a cross community GAA club sounds like a very good idea.

LCohen

Quote from: Main Street on September 18, 2020, 02:42:21 PM
The new East Belfast GAA club brings up some interesting challenges to the GAA ways.
Fwiw I agree to a large extent with Linda on the national flag and anthem issue. Imo, if a flag is to be flown on a GAA property anywhere, I'd go with the county GAA flag or/and a 4 province 32 county GAA flag.

Regardless, afaiu the GAA constitution Official Guide 1, the national flag does not have to be flown and the anthem does not have to be played.
The individual club can decide but should they decide to (play anthem, fly flag, they're required to follow the protocol.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/wyb4qbqzii6vstod1ygg.pdf
In the GAA constitution, the Official Guide 1,  Aims and Ethos, it just states the protocol for "where the National Anthem precedes a game".

Also, the only reference to a flag is in Aims and Ethos Ch.1.8, where it  states   "a  flag should be flown according to protocol". 
"should"  is not a demand that the flag be flown.
In a  constitution of an Association, the Aims/ Ethos are just aspirational and no matter how deeply felt, they're not part of the constituted law.
In other words, a person /club cannot (legally) be brought to book or busted for a perceived breach of an aspiration even if the aspiration is written down in the constitution.

Also, fwiw, the GAA Official Guide 1 Chapter 1  is a mess. The chapter is titled "Aims and Ethos" and it follows that only the Aims and Ethos of the GAA should be outlined.  Instead there is jumbled mix of rules, aims and ethos, resulting in a lack of coherency.

Je suis Linda

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

John Egans left boot

Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2021, 04:27:46 PM
Couldn't find a better place to post this

https://www.gaa.ie/news/justin-parks-story-shows-the-power-of-sporting-inclusivity/

A terrific read altogether - great to see this. A glimpse of  what a new Ireland can be like...

imtommygunn

In a bar in Spain the Iraqi barman recognises the previous week's all Ireland hurling final referee ;D

Great read that. I would say that boy would be good craic.