Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

I am coming across wrong, if Laois were capable of attracting Stephen Rochford for example I could see the flaw in my arguement.  But we really are not an attractive proposition for that level of coach so I think our only option is to create those coaches from within.

Otherwise it is really the usual gallery of also rans who I see as nonsensical let's be honest it's 10 times more likely them than the top notch candidates in Sugrue we were lucky he was on his way to the top.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Tony on August 02, 2019, 09:53:33 AM
If Sugrue is gone for certain I'd like to see Billy Sheehan or Chris Conway in there.
They will come as a team, one wont come without the other

SCFC

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 02, 2019, 10:22:45 AM
Quote from: Tony on August 02, 2019, 09:53:33 AM
If Sugrue is gone for certain I'd like to see Billy Sheehan or Chris Conway in there.
They will come as a team, one wont come without the other
Along with Gary Kavanagh? That was mooted last time around anyway....

Butch Cassidy

Tony McEntee a contender (if interested)

on the hop

I think Paul galvin got the Wexford job

blueandwhite1

Quote from: on the hop on August 02, 2019, 12:44:33 PM
I think Paul galvin got the Wexford job

Well that'll be them sorted for fashion tips....

bluespower

Bit of a shock to see Sugrue step down that sure came out of the blue very surprising at this time when he had the team moving along nicely and making progress, i was wondering and this is just my own opinion but after two successful seasons is it possible he could see his third year in charge as been more challenging as we may find it tough going in Div 2 and who knows maybe a few retirements as well i know there are younger lads coming through but all the same, and he may have thought he won't be able to keep this upward trend and progress going and just wanted to go out when things were very positive and at a high you could say.

Anyway just speculation as seen he did not give a valid reason for leaving yet anyway all we can do now is speculate.

How about Mick Dempsey as a replacement, i am sure he could be available after Kilkenny are beaten in the hurling final the man knows what it takes to achieve success with a team anyway.

High Fielder

Quote from: bluespower on August 02, 2019, 07:03:41 PM
Bit of a shock to see Sugrue step down that sure came out of the blue very surprising at this time when he had the team moving along nicely and making progress, i was wondering and this is just my own opinion but after two successful seasons is it possible he could see his third year in charge as been more challenging as we may find it tough going in Div 2 and who knows maybe a few retirements as well i know there are younger lads coming through but all the same, and he may have thought he won't be able to keep this upward trend and progress going and just wanted to go out when things were very positive and at a high you could say.

Anyway just speculation as seen he did not give a valid reason for leaving yet anyway all we can do now is speculate.

How about Mick Dempsey as a replacement, i am sure he could be available after Kilkenny are beaten in the hurling final the man knows what it takes to achieve success with a team anyway.

At this stage, I've put every conceivable possibility through my mind, and I'd be amazed if he walked away from an improving team. I accept that some people bow out when they're ahead, but it would be a right slap in the face to lads who have soldiered for him this last two years. It would be a complete vote of no confidence and a contradiction of everything he said about the players. He's an honourable man and I don't think that would happen.

The optics of this are terrible in my opinion. For everybody. I only hope the players know the full story, because I'm not sure how they would feel otherwise. It's hard to be optimistic when you see how easily that optimism can be snuffed out

Tony

I think you might be over thinking it a tad, High Fielder. Maybe he did just go for personal reasons. He has a family and a business. Maybe the 100% he was putting into Laois football was taking away from the more important things in his life.

I agree though, it would be good to get some kind of statement to have closure and to stop people like us idly coming up with theories that might have no basis in truth.

High Fielder

Fair enough Tony. I can accept that.

Chrimtain

In his interview for radio 3 Chris Conway appeared to suggest that John Sugrue saw himself stepping into the Laois role on short term basis only. I think and hope that he has stepped away now for family and business reasons.

Who knows, he may come back again in the future, either at senior or under age level. He is too well regarded to be lost to Laois GAA for good.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Chrimtain

Jack O'Connor to Kildare? That's a good for one for them.

Jd

Family and work I heard   I'm sure he'd like to be able to head off for a weekend with the wife and kids who are fairly young and possibly miss their dad not being home in the evenings. Most on here are involved with clubs and if you wanted you could be gone every evening and weekend. He took that on and had no option but to fully immerse himself in the process of improving Laois football which he did. I hav had underage teams and you'd be burned out at the end of the year So maybe John was getting that way and decided to go. I also know that co board did their level best to talk him around and also organized players to talk to him but he was not for turning. It might work out that he takes a less time consuming job with the coaching/underage setups and hopefully we'll have him for more time in the long run.

Don Draper

Quote from: Jd on August 03, 2019, 12:51:36 PM
Family and work I heard   I'm sure he'd like to be able to head off for a weekend with the wife and kids who are fairly young and possibly miss their dad not being home in the evenings. Most on here are involved with clubs and if you wanted you could be gone every evening and weekend. He took that on and had no option but to fully immerse himself in the process of improving Laois football which he did. I hav had underage teams and you'd be burned out at the end of the year So maybe John was getting that way and decided to go. I also know that co board did their level best to talk him around and also organized players to talk to him but he was not for turning. It might work out that he takes a less time consuming job with the coaching/underage setups and hopefully we'll have him for more time in the long run.
Nail on the head