American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Watched the game live as I had the morning off today. The Bears D looks like a top 5 unit and the front 7 will cause trouble for all teams. The packers D looked way better than the last couple of years and is going to surpise alot of teams.Rodgers is going to get the ball in better field position than he has been used to.
While it is only one game as a Bears fan I am worried about Trubisky, he was very jumpy in the pocket and while the Rodgers comeback willl probably be the story of the game, Mitch missed a wide open Tre Burton in the endzone to make it 24-0 and missed a wide open Cohen which would have converted a huge 3rd down to break the Packers momentum. He is great and accurate throwing on the run but is very jumpy and inaccurate in the pocket.Nagy got a little carried away in the second half and should have pounded the ball with Jordan Howard to tire out the packers D!!
Roquan Smith looks like he belongs and it was impressive to have your very first play in a Bears jersey to be a sack of the QB! Mack was brilliant and he freed up Floyd, Hicks and Roy Robertson Harris to wreak havoc!Rodgers is well Rodgers but I think he won't have to do it all on his own this year which makes the Packers a contender for me.
Trubisky needs to improve (which is even tougher having only 13 starts in college) and it has to be this year or it will be like the Lovie years again and he will join the list of Cade McNown, Rex Grossman etc.. He doesn't need to be John Elway or Brett Farve but it would be nice if he could be a Jim McMahon or Phil Simms type QB!!
I know I am probabaly overreacting with Trubisky but just Google the list of names that have played QB for the Bears since Jim Harbaugh and you will understand why Bears fans just expect doom and gloom under center most years!!

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 10, 2018, 09:20:47 AM
At his ould antics again. Was he limping around and then forgetting he was injured when he had to run? Great player, shouldn't be at that carry on.

You're take on this is bizarre, why on earth would a player pretend they are injured to the extent that they go to the locker room and miss game minutes with the team then having to put Kizer in, who promptly had a both a redzone fumble to take points off the board and a pick six?
Rodgers is covering deficiencies at both personnel and coaching level in Green Bay by dint of his greatness as a player, GB were rubbish last season in his absence, while there is some genuine top quality on it like Adams and Bakhtiari, he's carrying that roster. 
With respect to the injury, probably jarred the knee and the medical decision was made that he couldn't make it any worse by going out to play again. It really doesn't add up at all to suggest that it's "antics" or faking an injury by any rational thought process, he has absolutely nothing to gain by it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 10, 2018, 10:55:43 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 10, 2018, 09:20:47 AM
At his ould antics again. Was he limping around and then forgetting he was injured when he had to run? Great player, shouldn't be at that carry on.

You're take on this is bizarre, why on earth would a player pretend they are injured to the extent that they go to the locker room and miss game minutes with the team then having to put Kizer in, who promptly had a both a redzone fumble to take points off the board and a pick six?
Rodgers is covering deficiencies at both personnel and coaching level in Green Bay by dint of his greatness as a player, GB were rubbish last season in his absence, while there is some genuine top quality on it like Adams and Bakhtiari, he's carrying that roster. 
With respect to the injury, probably jarred the knee and the medical decision was made that he couldn't make it any worse by going out to play again. It really doesn't add up at all to suggest that it's "antics" or faking an injury by any rational thought process, he has absolutely nothing to gain by it.

Look - I'm probably over egging it slightly cos I'm a Bears fan but he certainly milks penalties off officials and makes sure to get protected. As he should I suppose. Doesn't make it less annoying though when he plays for a team you can't stand. That was a gutting loss for the Bears and only Rodgers could have done that I think. The bollix.  ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 10, 2018, 10:32:28 AM
Watched the game live as I had the morning off today. The Bears D looks like a top 5 unit and the front 7 will cause trouble for all teams. The packers D looked way better than the last couple of years and is going to surpise alot of teams.Rodgers is going to get the ball in better field position than he has been used to.
While it is only one game as a Bears fan I am worried about Trubisky, he was very jumpy in the pocket and while the Rodgers comeback willl probably be the story of the game, Mitch missed a wide open Tre Burton in the endzone to make it 24-0 and missed a wide open Cohen which would have converted a huge 3rd down to break the Packers momentum. He is great and accurate throwing on the run but is very jumpy and inaccurate in the pocket.Nagy got a little carried away in the second half and should have pounded the ball with Jordan Howard to tire out the packers D!!
Roquan Smith looks like he belongs and it was impressive to have your very first play in a Bears jersey to be a sack of the QB! Mack was brilliant and he freed up Floyd, Hicks and Roy Robertson Harris to wreak havoc!Rodgers is well Rodgers but I think he won't have to do it all on his own this year which makes the Packers a contender for me.
Trubisky needs to improve (which is even tougher having only 13 starts in college) and it has to be this year or it will be like the Lovie years again and he will join the list of Cade McNown, Rex Grossman etc.. He doesn't need to be John Elway or Brett Farve but it would be nice if he could be a Jim McMahon or Phil Simms type QB!!
I know I am probabaly overreacting with Trubisky but just Google the list of names that have played QB for the Bears since Jim Harbaugh and you will understand why Bears fans just expect doom and gloom under center most years!!

Thanks for that report. I'd gathered some of that from what I'd read and heard. I think Trubisky has a chance to be what the Bears need him to be. If you think the Packers defence has improved appreciably then that makes it a slightly less bitter pill to swallow....they were pretty muck on that side of the ball last season.

tyroneman

So the Gruden era gets off to an underwhelming start. Who coulda guessed.

Carr looks every inch the broken player he was after his return last year, skittish in the pocket, dink and dunking, no  long throws, dumping the ball before receivers get open, which is very worrying.

He's getting paid franchise $$$ and needs to start playing like it. 

gallsman

Raiders were nowhere near as bad as I thought they were going to be.

gallsman

Browns release Josh Gordon.

If he hasn't gone and failed another test for smoking weed, there's a lot of teams who'd be happy to have him.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on September 16, 2018, 12:44:18 AM
Browns release Josh Gordon.

If he hasn't gone and failed another test for smoking weed, there's a lot of teams who'd be happy to have him.

Read earlier that he arrived late to the practice facility and complained of a sore hamstring and was then ruled out of tomorrow's game, obviously a lot more to it than a bad hamstring. Seemed like a really weird dude in Hard Knocks.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Ian Rappoport saying he was fine at practice on Friday, was late today and complaining about the hammy. How he acquired the injury is supposedly part of the reason for why he's been let go. Already on thin ice and whatever it was was one too many.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on September 16, 2018, 01:05:15 AM
Ian Rappoport saying he was fine at practice on Friday, was late today and complaining about the hammy. How he acquired the injury is supposedly part of the reason for why he's been let go. Already on thin ice and whatever it was was one too many.

He hurt it during a photoshoot. Of all the reasons to release him this is the stupidest, but it is the Browns were talking about.

RealSpiritof98

seriously this is Bill MVP in SB territory, altho ill take hi, in SF no prob

cadhlancian

The Patriots will definitely take a look at him....

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2018, 03:03:03 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 16, 2018, 01:05:15 AM

He hurt it during a photoshoot. Of all the reasons to release him this is the stupidest, but it is the Browns were talking about.

Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes, Gordon is clearly unreliable and has problems, the Browns only gave him so many chances cos he has talent, they clearly had had enough.

Gmac

Jax v New England should be an interesting one today,should let us know if Brady is still on top of his game . Ramsey did a lot of mouthing in off season see if he backs it up today.

Minder