Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

No Mayo supporter has John Morley as a cult hero?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: rosnarun on March 24, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 24, 2020, 02:02:33 PM
No fans of Rory Woods here? Gave a younger, slightly rounder version of myself hope I could make it (I did not).

there was another monaghan lad at the same time as Nudie hughes that took it a bit too far . was he 'audie ' something but a very good player on his day, rarely played the full 70 mins  from what I remember

Are you thinking of Audi Hamilton from tyrone?
Hasta la victoria siempre

saffronandblue

Would have to be fellow clubman Padraig 'The Bomber' Brogan, some of his performances for the club were just unreal.  At county level, I would say, Dermot Early and also the most stylish of them all, the great, Matt Connor.

rosnarun

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 25, 2020, 04:06:56 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 24, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 24, 2020, 02:02:33 PM
No fans of Rory Woods here? Gave a younger, slightly rounder version of myself hope I could make it (I did not).

there was another monaghan lad at the same time as Nudie hughes that took it a bit too far . was he 'audie ' something but a very good player on his day, rarely played the full 70 mins  from what I remember

Are you thinking of Audi Hamilton from tyrone?
maybe tis along time ago .the white Jersey may be confusing me,  according to google  Audi Hamilton is a car dealership in Ontario,
one up and comer for Cult hero is Padraig O hora after his Exploits in on Hellweek , Down to the last 4  and almost fainting from hypothermia but no way was he going to quit, If he can bring that spirit onto the pitch hell be a good un
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Mickey Harte.

Sorry, misread cult as having an n.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

rosnarun

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 26, 2020, 10:22:09 AM
Ricey
he is the perfect cult hero , most Tyrone people think he used to walk on water while the rest of the country would rather see him drown
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ck

Mine is Mickey Kearns. A legend of a No.14 and arguably Sligos best ever player(?)... but then went on to become one of Irelands best referees. I have recently taken up the whistle so know how difficult it is.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: rosnarun on March 27, 2020, 02:37:43 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 26, 2020, 10:22:09 AM
Ricey
he is the perfect cult hero , most Tyrone people think he used to walk on water while the rest of the country would rather see him drown

Oh no we didn't. The Club Championships were a great equaliser.

dublin7

Dessie "walks on glass" Farrell

Looked like he'd already played a game before a ball was even thrown in with all his bandages and his almost hobbling gait. Came alive when he got the ball

mouview

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2020, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
Quote from: Estimator on March 22, 2020, 12:17:34 AM
For me the cult hero's aren't the lads who were the teams the best player, or regularly voted the best in the county, or the fellas who had long successful careers, or the popular players.

It's those fellas who were talented, a bit wild, and on any given day could do a bit of damage on the pitch, but who maybe weren't reliable or not as commited as you would want them to be. Enjoyed themselves on and off the pitch. The likes of Geoffrey McGonigle would be my example of a Cult Hero in Derry.

Sambo in Antrim.

Noel O'Leary. Or. Maybe or maybe not lol.

The Galway team of the 80's had plenty hearts to look up to, Brendan Lynskey Ger McInerery being the main two.. football wise Jack O'Shea, and more modern Tohill

From within my own county we'd  Olcan Clute McFetridge or just Clute and being of an age when you actually got to try and mark him in games was a joy!

Michael Coleman better than both. Not a stylist but lean as a greyhound, tough as nails and strong as a horse. When he hit you, you stayed hit. Put up his hand amidst flying hurls and usually claimed the ball. Smoked 30 or 40 a day too.

Rudi

Quote from: ck on March 27, 2020, 03:09:20 PM
Mine is Mickey Kearns. A legend of a No.14 and arguably Sligos best ever player(?)... but then went on to become one of Irelands best referees. I have recently taken up the whistle so know how difficult it is.

Best referees, he was shocking, his bias against the Rossies knew no bounds.

whitey

Quote from: Rudi on March 28, 2020, 10:39:59 PM

Was about to say the same thing about his bias against Mayo.

1989 replay.....2 of the softest penalties I have ever seen in my life awarded to Roscommon  and then disallowed a perfectly legit goal for Mayo to win it in regulation

larryin89

Quote from: whitey on March 29, 2020, 12:05:14 AM

1989 replay.....2 of the softest penalties I have ever seen in my life awarded to Roscommon  and then disallowed a perfectly legit goal for Mayo to win it in regulation

But jimmy Burke's majestic touch silenced the rossie roar
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

whitey

Quote from: larryin89 on March 29, 2020, 07:52:57 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 29, 2020, 12:05:14 AM

But jimmy Burke's majestic touch silenced the rossie roar

I was right behind the goal when he scored it