All-Stars 2023

Started by Blowitupref, July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Ryan got shown up the day when he couldn't take his short option kick out.

BrotherMore6592

It's been a long time since 93 boss

There's a mare for ye

JoG2

A comeback as good as Cluxton's

BrotherMore6592

If I was the Dublin sub keeper I'd leave the panel!! Disgusted playing all year then ousted out for a man who's what 41.

Legend yes but it's short term thinking and not for the future

The man kicked two class scores today and could be a reason they won the AI so what would I know

Just a personal view dessie shouldn't have took him back

He puts on this modesty act but he eats up all the attention and tries too hard not to seem like he cares

The turning around and jogging back to the goal before the ball went over the bar, tell me that isn't rehearsed

Milltown Row2

This is why you're talking crap on the GAA board and Dessie is winning all Irelands ffs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2023, 12:28:45 AM
This is why you're talking crap on the GAA board and Dessie is winning all Irelands ffs!

Can't come back from that, in fairness.  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Blowitupref

I'd say the return of Pat Gilroy to the Dublin management team played a big part in Cluxton returning to the Dublin panel and he didn't return to sit on the bench.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Cluxton could play for another 2 or 3 years...if he wanted.

AustinPowers

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 31, 2023, 12:23:21 AM
If I was the Dublin sub keeper I'd leave the panel!! Disgusted playing all year then ousted out for a man who's what 41.

Legend yes but it's short term thinking and not for the future

The man kicked two class scores today and could be a reason they won the AI so what would I know

Just a personal view dessie shouldn't have took him back

He puts on this modesty act but he eats up all the attention and tries too hard not to seem like he cares

The turning around and jogging back to the goal before the ball went over the bar, tell me that isn't rehearsed

You do have a  point there.

This Dublin team  reminds me of Ferguson's  Man Utd team in 2013.  His last season ,  an aging squad, he  squeezed everything out of that squad that he would , knowing he wouldn't be around to build another.  Scholes Giggs Ferdinand Evra  van Persie  etc were all mid to late 30's .  A lot of that team  left or retired  in the next year or so , and  still hasn't  recovered 10 years on.  Ferguson didn't  think long term (why would he?), and United suffered

I have a feeling Farrell  will step down . Mc carthy hinted at retirement too.  A few others might go too.  Will Farrell have the time  or enthusiasm  to  build another  Dublin team capable of  competing for All Ireland s?  I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's  better for him personally to bow out now.  It mightnt get any better than  this. Get  out at the top.  Dublin could "suffer" for a few seasons  whether he stays or goes.

Jell 0 Biafra

Just watched the game back there.  Cluxton is one of the main reasons Dublin won that one.  His placed kickouts were a thing of beauty (almost?) always hitting his man to set up an attack.

I did think it was harsh on David O' Hanlon to lose his place after a fine league.  But there's not many players could have pinged those kickouts as accurately as did Cluxton today.

In terms of the bigger picture, and the age profile of the likes of McCarthy, Rock, Cluxton, Fitzy and indeed  Manion, Dublin are going to have to go into rebuild mode next year (or very soon thereafter).  I think this was a case of, if we don't win this one, it might be a while again.  So I can see why Cluxton got the call.

gallsman

Mannion is 30, having taken time off. If he wants it, he'll be around no bother.

imtommygunn

Honestly think there is a lot more in Mannion than he showed yesterday despite the 5 points. Still great but he can be better too.

What are the views on O'Callaghan yesterday? I thought he was poor enough. Not sure how many he scored in the end. Him and Costello weren't at it the way they normally would be though credit must go to kerry defense too. I think they mean McGuigan almost a cert for all star.

I don't think Dublin win that game without Cluxton. There is no keeper who is able to make those kickouts look so easy. I think he should get the all star.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2023, 12:28:45 AM

Right, no other craic captain obvious? Could say same reason you aren't refereeing the AIF any time soon either  :D

I do agree cluxton should get the all star even after my views on him coming back above

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2023, 09:06:54 AM
Honestly think there is a lot more in Mannion than he showed yesterday despite the 5 points. Still great but he can be better too.

What are the views on O'Callaghan yesterday? I thought he was poor enough. Not sure how many he scored in the end. Him and Costello weren't at it the way they normally would be though credit must go to kerry defense too. I think they mean McGuigan almost a cert for all star.

I don't think Dublin win that game without Cluxton. There is no keeper who is able to make those kickouts look so easy. I think he should get the all star.

Cluxton will probably get it. Generally the keeper will come from the finalists unless they have a complete mare of a final.
In terms of nominations though is what I was getting at earlier, Lynch would at least be nominated for an Allstar.

McGuigan and Rogers for me are absolute certs.
Mcluskey should be, but probably won't.
McKinless performances in CP will warrant a nomination at least, in my opinion he's as good as anything on display yesterday - in fact there was no-one offering the same type of attacking runs he had been doing. He probably won't get one though.
Those 4 from Derry I reckon all deserve one, but probably 2 is what we'll get realistically.

clarshack

There's about 4 Dublin players that could retire but several other key players seem to be around the 29/30 mark so those players could probably squeeze another All-Ireland if they want to.