Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Mentioned on the Sunday game tonight that today was the first All Ireland senior final Cormac Costello started.  Paul Mannion named man of the match
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

'Twas no spectacle for the neutral, but the Dubs won't care for that.

They (the Dubs) have done the necessary, and that Kerry team have proved that they're really nothing special.  Sin é, no All-Irelands-in-a-row to be dispensed today.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thewobbler

Try to objectively compare the like-for-like performances of Mannion and Clifford today; what they contributed, what they missed, what they did right, what they did wrong... and there's next to nothing in it.

Yet One of them has just been given MOTM and the other is being questioned for his ability on the big day.

Clifford is always going to be measured differently. That's the burden of greatness.

But it's still not right.

That was a defender's day. In every possible way. It should have been a defender MOTM.

BrotherMore6592

I didn't even know Costello was on the pitch to be honest

From the Bunker

Had a pain in my head listening to the Paul Flynn + Jackie Hurley love in there on the Sunday Game.

And I wanted Dublin to win!

The huge cringe moment was when Paul and Jackie sang the praises of John Costello and Paul told us how other counties could learn from this model!  ;D

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 11:24:32 PM
I didn't even know Costello was on the pitch to be honest

Scored a point, and had the assist for the goal. 

[As per below, I'm wrong on this one]

restorepride

gallsman

Basquel did all the hard work for it either way.

mrdeeds

Jesus it's hard to be happy for them if they can't be happy for themselves. Them interviews. Holy god.

Sonny Joe

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2023, 11:18:20 PM
Try to objectively compare the like-for-like performances of Mannion and Clifford today; what they contributed, what they missed, what they did right, what they did wrong... and there's next to nothing in it.

Yet One of them has just been given MOTM and the other is being questioned for his ability on the big day.

Clifford is always going to be measured differently. That's the burden of greatness.

That was a defender's day. In every possible way. It should have been a defender MOTM.

Seriously, one was the of main reasons Dublin won, the other was one of the main reasons Kerry lost.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Jell 0 Biafra

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 30, 2023, 11:41:01 PM
Jesus it's hard to be happy for them if they can't be happy for themselves. Them interviews. Holy god.

In fairness Mannion and McCafferey were understandably uncomfortable when interviewed. Both have taken sabbaticals, and you could see the awkwardness of Mannion receiving MOTM award. Cluxton, was Cluxton. He hates the interview BS stuff. I like him more for that reason.

The questions to Fitzgibbon and McCarthy asking them to talk up each other where a hard listen also.

To be fair all also seemed a little tipsy and were trying to be extra careful because of this. 

thewobbler

Quote from: Sonny Joe on July 30, 2023, 11:44:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2023, 11:18:20 PM

Seriously, one was the of main reasons Dublin won, the other was one of the main reasons Kerry lost.

Honestly I think this is a lazy narrative.

Mannion didn't drive Dublin forward. He wasn't a ball winner, wasn't incessant. And he made a few mistakes. But he did - to his absolute credit - put himself in the right positions, and he kicked crucial scores. I'd call it a 7/10 performance. Maybe a bonus 7.5 out of 10 for kicking the difficult point.

Clifford did show. He did win ball. He drove when he could. But his mistakes were magnified somewhat by fact that he's David Clifford and we expect perfection. He had around a 6/10 game. But had a more normal player - let's say Ryan O'Donaghue - kept showing and trying like that, he'd likely be remarked on for his willingness and effort, to a 7/10.

Honestly there wasn't much between their performance levels today. They're just marked differently.

Wildweasel74

Can't understand what they didn't man mark Fenton, Barry always on top of him, previous. Mannion got alot of room leading to easy scores.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 31, 2023, 12:05:24 AM
Can't understand what they didn't man mark Fenton, Barry always on top of him, previous. Mannion got alot of room leading to easy scores.

There was too much going on elsewhere -- that's what happens with better teams.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...