Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: naka on July 30, 2023, 07:18:22 PM
Derry , Galway , Armagh and mayo not too far away
3 of those didn't even make the semi finals much less come close to winning it. Mayo got destroyed by Dublin and it wasn't competitive, how are they close to winning Sam.

Same stuff every single year and yet Dublin win every year nearly, bar the odd blip with Tyrone and Kerry nicking some. Derry are the next best but they do not have the levels of players Dublin or even Kerry have.

full moon

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 07:21:32 PM
On balance, Dublin deserved to win that game.
Clifford really didn't have his best game but still set up the goal.
Personally I thought it was an average enough game in terms of quality.
If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.
But in terms of attacking flair, I thought it was quite flat.

Some achievement for the dubs, 9 ai medals is unbelievable.
It was at least interesting and competitive but definitely not a classic, I do think the weather sort of ruined that aspect.

There was a huge amount of handpassing but that is only highlighted when non Kerry/Dublin teams especially in Ulster do it.

Mario

Quote from: full moon on July 30, 2023, 08:01:04 PM
3 of those didn't even make the semi finals much less come close to winning it. Mayo got destroyed by Dublin and it wasn't competitive, how are they close to winning Sam.

Same stuff every single year and yet Dublin win every year nearly, bar the odd blip with Tyrone and Kerry nicking some. Derry are the next best but they do not have the levels of players Dublin or even Kerry have.
People are too quick to make sweeping judgements after one game. Mayo matched Dublin in the first half but goals change games. Galway were many people's favourites all year until Mayo scraped past them.

I reckon 8 or 9 Derry players would be in with a very good chance of starting the Kerry team. A few Dubs will probably retire and as we seen during the league their back ups aren't at the same level as the boys that came back.

Wildweasel74

Thought the game was fairly poor outside of a 10/15min spell in the 2nd half.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 30, 2023, 08:14:55 PM
Thought the game was fairly poor outside of a 10/15min spell on the, 2nd half.

Overall, a fair point, and God forbid that it were two Ulster teams serving that fare up!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

LeoMc

Quote from: Eire90 on July 30, 2023, 07:14:14 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 30, 2023, 06:22:35 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 30, 2023, 06:18:55 PM
if kerry v dublin final next year it will be very bad for the gaa
And why would that be?

same teams playing each other and winning finals over and over people will just tune off

Over and over, you mean twice?
Dublin v Mayo in 16&17 didn't turn people off. Meath v Cork in 87/88 didn't turn people off and Kerry v Dublin in the mid 70's is seen by some as the high point.

Blowitupref

Shane McGuigan finished the championship top scorer with 2-52 (1 pen, 29fs and one mark) just ahead of David Clifford on 5-42 ( 2 pens, 18fs and three marks) the added time free against Kerry for McGuigan did count for something after all.

Top scorer from play Colm Basquel with 5-17 just ahead of David Clifford on 3-21
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mario

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 30, 2023, 08:20:40 PM
Shane McGuigan finished the championship top scorer with 2-52 (1 pen, 29fs and one mark) just ahead of David Clifford on 5-42 ( 2 pens, 18fs and three marks) the added time free against Kerry for McGuigan did count for something after all.

Top scorer from play Colm Basquel with 5-17 just ahead of David Clifford on 3-21
Is that provincial championships included? I'd like to see stats from start of group stage as Munster and Leinster was a procession for Kerry and the Dubs

grounded

Quote from: Mario on July 30, 2023, 08:08:10 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 30, 2023, 08:01:04 PM

People are too quick to make sweeping judgements after one game. Mayo matched Dublin in the first half but goals change games. Galway were many people's favourites all year until Mayo scraped past them.

I reckon 8 or 9 Derry players would be in with a very good chance of starting the Kerry team. A few Dubs will probably retire and as we seen during the league their back ups aren't at the same level as the boys that came back.

Derry will be absolutely kicking themselves. They should heve been in the final. I felt they were the team that could trouble Dublin the most.

guevara

If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.

How did Dublin "deserve" to win exactly? Kerry were wasteful yes but if your telling me David Gough did not have influence over that 2 point margin then we must have watched different games.

People give off about The JP McManus money in Limerick!  Dublin have benefited from favoutism from The GAA for years before you even take into account that their "in house" referee just also happens to be the All-Ireland Final Ref? As a neutral it's embarassing that we as an organisation look down upon other sporting codes  & claim some sort of Amateur Sporting superiority.

Dublin have had more than a helping hand from headquarters in recent years.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

rodney trotter

Clifford s
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 30, 2023, 07:40:58 PM
The goal was one of the few highlights in the 1st half but even in that half the goal covered the cracks of Kerry's poor shooting,shot selection and decision making. 2nd half was a much improved though the goal Kerry conceded was among the worst ever goals conceded in All Ireland final and came at a time that Kerry was 3 in front and looked in control.  Jack O'Connor probably right when he said the energy they used to retake the lead after that goal cost them towards the end as Dublin had more in the legs.

David Clifford had more misses than scores which is very rare for him, his brother Paudie was Kerry's best forward today. Clearly the players that returned for Dublin made a big difference today and two of them Cluxton and Mannion contenders for MOTM.  Seen one stat that Dublin scored 1-8 when left man on man while Dublin conceded just 0-1 from man on man defending. Defensively and not giving up many soft scores remains key to winning any All Ireland final.

A few times in the second half Clifford should have passed instead of going for the wonder score.

marty34

Quote from: guevara on July 30, 2023, 08:25:56 PM

How did Dublin "deserve" to win exactly? Kerry were wasteful yes but if your telling me David Gough did not have influence over that 2 point margin then we must have watched different games.

People give off about The JP McManus money in Limerick!  Dublin have benefited from favoutism from The GAA for years before you even take into account that their "in house" referee just also happens to be the All-Ireland Final Ref? As a neutral it's embarassing that we as an organisation look down upon other sporting codes  & claim some sort of Amateur Sporting superiority.

Hope you weren't watching the BBC coverage today.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Mario on July 30, 2023, 08:24:02 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 30, 2023, 08:20:40 PM

Is that provincial championships included? I'd like to see stats from start of group stage as Munster and Leinster was a procession for Kerry and the Dubs

Yes included.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

guevara

Quote from: marty34 on July 30, 2023, 08:29:33 PM
Quote from: guevara on July 30, 2023, 08:25:56 PM

Hope you weren't watching the BBC coverage today.

RTÉ all the way in our house!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...