Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mario on July 30, 2023, 06:25:35 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 30, 2023, 06:17:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2023, 05:55:38 PM
Watched it on my phone while in London! National anthem blasting along Regent street. Dublin best team in first half Kerry edged the 3rd quarter and Dublins bench proving its worth, Kerry will be back next year and no reason why Dublin won't either, nothing out there able to push these two.

Again simple rule's confusing players ex managers current managers and sofa experts!

Derry didn't push Kerry in the semi final?
Derry, Galway and Mayo will all push them.

Only way I see Galway or Derry reaching the All Ireland final next year is to avoid Kerry and Dublin in the Quarter final or semi final. Mayo aren't the level they were in 2013 to 2017 when they had the winning of a few All Ireland finals yet found ways to lose them.

It should be another Kerry v Dublin All Ireland in 2024 so long as they aren't paired together in the semi finals like they were last year. Thankfully as a neutral watching today's final  it was a competitive contest and the match won with two scores in added time.

befair

Good competitive game between easily the two best sides in the country. Dublin perhaps just deserved it
Ref was fine.
Still need a rule change to disincentivise defensive football

HokeyPokey

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 30, 2023, 06:33:48 PM
Who are these players out of interest, cause for ever one you mention am sure there's a defender out there who has kept them quite.

Canavan, Stephen O'Neill, D Connolly, Gooch, B Brogan, Sean Cavanagh, Brogan, Fenton, J McCarthy, Lee Keegan, McCaffrey. These are all I can think of off hand. I can't speak to other players that I haven't seen like F McGuigan, Sheehy, Spillane, Jack Ó Sé, Matt Connors, Maurice Fitz etc, but I'm sure they would have to be included. I'm not saying any of these are as good as him, but they are certainly ahead of him in certain areas. Obviously it's hard to judge with the levels of preparation that goes in nowadays as well too.

Do people think his one Celtic cross and not performing in some big contests makes him the stand out player of all time already? 

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2023, 06:37:01 PM
Watched it on my phone while in London! National anthem blasting along Regent street. Dublin best team in first half Kerry edged the 3rd quarter and Dublins bench proving its worth, Kerry will be back next year and no reason why Dublin won't either, nothing out there able to push these two.

Again simple rule's confusing players ex managers current managers and sofa experts!

There's pushing a team and there's getting over the line against a team, beat either Kerry or Dublin next year and we can look at Derry being a team possibly winning. They've won Ulster twice and still no final

Hang on, you said " nothing out there able to push these two"
Now you move the goal posts " there is pushing and able to get over the line".

Are you sure about anything?

Eire90

Quote from: LeoMc on July 30, 2023, 06:22:35 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 30, 2023, 06:18:55 PM
if kerry v dublin final next year it will be very bad for the gaa
And why would that be?

same teams playing each other and winning finals over and over people will just tune off

Wildweasel74

Every player you mentioned there. he's better than ever one, only Player I had ahead of him was Matt O'Connor, Jacko maybe as a all rounder. He not playing with much round him, just his brother, Seanie O'Shea hasn't turned into the stand out footballer I thought he be.

naka

Derry , Galway , Armagh and mayo not too far away

imtommygunn

Wildweasel74

Peter Canavan was a great player but hadn't enough round him for a long time, had he not won 2 All-Ireland would that have changed my opinion of having him corner forward on the greatest team ever, No.

Derryman forever

tbrick18

On balance, Dublin deserved to win that game.
Clifford really didn't have his best game but still set up the goal.
Personally I thought it was an average enough game in terms of quality.
If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.
But in terms of attacking flair, I thought it was quite flat.

Some achievement for the dubs, 9 ai medals is unbelievable.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 30, 2023, 07:07:29 PM

There's pushing a team and there's getting over the line against a team, beat either Kerry or Dublin next year and we can look at Derry being a team possibly winning. They've won Ulster twice and still no final

If Derry knew were the goal posts where I'd be saying different.. again pushing and winning is not the same.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HokeyPokey

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 07:21:32 PM
On balance, Dublin deserved to win that game.
Clifford really didn't have his best game but still set up the goal.
Personally I thought it was an average enough game in terms of quality.
If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.
But in terms of attacking flair, I thought it was quite flat.

Some achievement for the dubs, 9 ai medals is unbelievable.

I thought it was a great exhibition of tackling and defending. I think the weather and the way football is now with mass defences made it highly unlikely to be a footballing classic. On a dry day it could have been. I still enjoyed the tenseness, but there was too much safety passing, there were notably lulls in the crowd's noise. I was watching a bit of games from 20 years ago and it was mad how much it was just attacking and launching the ball forward. 

I'd have to agree the narrative would be different if one of them or both were an Ulster team. I remember during the Kerry V Dublin match last year, they even complained about the Galway v Armagh match, from the previous day which they complained about all through, it while over egging that match as the best of all time. The hurling is great for promoting their product, there's too many cranky contrarians (though less so now with the auld boys gone) covering football pushing lazy narratives. RTE are paying for the rights, madness that they'd then pay someone to make the product look bad.

Cunny Funt

The goal was one of the few highlights in the 1st half but even in that half the goal covered the cracks of Kerry's poor shooting,shot selection and decision making. 2nd half was a much improved though the goal Kerry conceded was among the worst ever goals conceded in All Ireland final and came at a time that Kerry was 3 in front and looked in control.  Jack O'Connor probably right when he said the energy they used to retake the lead after that goal cost them towards the end as Dublin had more in the legs.

David Clifford had more misses than scores which is very rare for him, his brother Paudie was Kerry's best forward today. Clearly the players that returned for Dublin made a big difference today and two of them Cluxton and Mannion contenders for MOTM.  Seen one stat that Dublin scored 1-8 when left man on man while Dublin conceded just 0-1 from man on man defending. Defensively and not giving up many soft scores remains key to winning any All Ireland final.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2023, 07:26:48 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 30, 2023, 07:07:29 PM

If Derry knew were the goal posts where I'd be saying different.. again pushing and winning is not the same.

Like i ssid, you moved your own goal posts.
Doesn't inspire me to pay you much heed.