Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: armaghniac on August 09, 2023, 06:42:16 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 09, 2023, 03:23:01 PM
I think the general feeling seems to be; if McGeeney goes, who do you get in instead and what will they do different? I think the players still want him, at worse a few were indifferent but haven't really heard of any of them wanting rid. Armagh is a small county with too many clubs and too many of these clubs are small country clubs. In that sense, Armagh have probably overachieved slightly in the last couple of years.

Why do we have too many clubs? We have one and a half times the population of Monaghan, and pro rate that should mean 50 clubs. You can hardly argue that Monaghan is unsuccessful.

Yeah but 50% of Monaghan don't run around with a sash on...

You have to remember that Armagh is a small County but is 50% Unionist too
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 10, 2023, 10:03:26 AM
Quote from: illdecide on August 10, 2023, 09:56:15 AM
I think the general feeling seems to be; if McGeeney goes, who do you get in instead and what will they do different? I think the players still want him, at worse a few were indifferent but haven't really heard of any of them wanting rid. Armagh is a small county with too many clubs and too many of these clubs are small country clubs. In that sense, Armagh have probably overachieved slightly in the last couple of years.

Why do we have too many clubs? We have one and a half times the population of Monaghan, and pro rate that should mean 50 clubs. You can hardly argue that Monaghan is unsuccessful.

I think he has already factored that in.

All in Armagh's population is around 3 times Monaghan's.

Indeed I have. In 2021 Armagh's population was 194,394, and while 40-45% are prejudiced against the GAA, that still leaves a brave few.
The population of Monaghan was 65,288 and some people do wear a sash in Monaghan too. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armamike

Quote from: general_lee on August 10, 2023, 07:57:57 AM
Quote from: Armamike on August 09, 2023, 08:13:22 PM

Said it many times on here and other forums - the size of our county isn't the problem.
It adds to the problem. Clubs are on top of each other in some parts of the county where only would would suffice.

Can say that about other counties.  Look at the Coalisland area for example, can't swing a cat without hitting a club.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Is our playing population much less than Tyrone's?

armaghniac

QuoteIs our playing population much less than Tyrone's?

It might be 5-10% less, but not enough to use as an excuse.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not quite 50% unionist these days, and diminishing...  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2023, 11:51:01 AM

According to calculations from the erudite folks on Sluggerotoole Armagh in 2019 was 54% nationalist, 6% other and 40% unionist.
The latter number is probably 38% now.

Armamike

Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2023, 11:07:56 AM
QuoteIs our playing population much less than Tyrone's?

It might be 5-10% less, but not enough to use as an excuse.

Agreed. And it's not enough to explain the difference in success at underage level over the years.

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2023, 12:08:34 PM

According to calculations from the erudite folks on Sluggerotoole Armagh in 1999 was 54% nationalist, 6% other and 40% unionist.

That's 24 years ago.

Things will have changed a bit since then.

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2023, 02:15:06 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2023, 12:08:34 PM

According to calculations from the erudite folks on Sluggerotoole Armagh in 1999 was 54% nationalist, 6% other and 40% unionist.

That's 24 years ago.

Things will have changed a bit since then.

my typo, I meant 2019.

general_lee

Quote from: Armamike on August 10, 2023, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: general_lee on August 10, 2023, 07:57:57 AM
Quote from: Armamike on August 09, 2023, 08:13:22 PM

Said it many times on here and other forums - the size of our county isn't the problem.
It adds to the problem. Clubs are on top of each other in some parts of the county where only would would suffice.

Can say that about other counties.  Look at the Coalisland area for example, can't swing a cat without hitting a club.
yes and they're all crap!

bennydorano

Well Na Fianna & Clonoe are regular Senior champions so not really, but I cycle out that part of the world regular and there are quite a few within a few miles radius, ones that I can think of - Killyman, Brackaville, Derrylaughan, Derrytresk, Brockagh - then within10-15m there are a lot of big clubs but thats just the nature of the GAA I suppose.

general_lee

Clonoe are intermediate this year and Na Fianna currently sit 2 pts off bottom of Div1 and haven't a whole lot coming through at underage. By Tyrone standards yes 2 championships in 13 years is about as close to regular as you'll get but can't see either of them winning senior championships anytime soon.

bennydorano

Shite is a bit OTT, apply those same standards to Armagh club football and what would you have? Clonoe would undoubtedly be competitive in the Armagh SFC, no matter their current status. Na Fianna are a strong senior side, recent Tyrone championships show that. The 'shiteness' increases as you move further away from the island no doubt, due to too many clubs among sparse populations.

marty34

Quote from: bennydorano on August 12, 2023, 11:43:20 AM
Shite is a bit OTT, apply those same standards to Armagh club football and what would you have? Clonoe would undoubtedly be competitive in the Armagh SFC, no matter their current status. Na Fianna are a strong senior side, recent Tyrone championships show that. The 'shiteness' increases as you move further away from the island no doubt, due to too many clubs among sparse populations.

Is that whole area not packed with houses?

Good road network for workers in Belfast, Dungannon and Cookstown.