Protestant GAA clubs

Started by bennydorano, February 23, 2007, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Interesting article on the front of the Irish News today, maybe someone could post it.

full back

What planet is he on?
There is no chance of this happening

Mayo4Sam

Never going to happen but a nice idea

Any thoughts SammyG, EG or NIFan
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: full back on February 23, 2007, 10:00:38 AM
What planet is he on?
There is no chance of this happening

Rather negative a chara, I don't see the harm in broaching this subject at all -- at least it shows a willingness on the GAA's part to reach out. And of course, there will be entrenched resistance to this idea in certain quarters, but at least the acknowledgement has been offered.

Cullybackey loyalist defenders GFC could have a certain ring to it, if not a whole new meaning!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mayo4Sam

QuoteObviously the GAA has an image problem in the eyes of the Protestant community, that farce up in Casement certainly didn't help matters. How this could be rectified I don't know but a consultation with the Unionist community by the GAA would I'm sure yield some interesting ideas on how and why they percieve the GAA to be possibly sectarian, and only then can ideas on how to tackle the problem

Jesus where do u start?
I played for a team from the Ormeau Road and we used to get called Prodestants when we played on the Falls, imagine the abuse if we were actually prodestant?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

This is just a ridiculous statement from Brennan, he's inadvertantly giving idiots like wee willie "pedo" frazer the opportunity to take the GAA to task, by setting up pseudo clubs just to cause mischief, questions would then be asked by the S Armagh Loyal Blue True Rangers GFC, as to why should they have to stand for AnbF and could they not use gstq, the tricolor is discriminatory, AI finals would have to be split between Dublin and Belfast etc...
There are plenty of clubs out there already, certainly have an outreach programme where say for example Strabane Sigersons go to the state/protestant schools in the area and give talks/demonstrations etc... or in areas where there is not a club at all - eg Ardstraw,  carry out a feasibility study, questionaires, church meetings etc.. to see if the support was there to attempt a new club, then any club set up would have to be cross community not exclusively protestant...!!!
Tbc....

Norf Tyrone

Quoteor in areas where there is not a club at all - eg Ardstraw,  carry out a feasibility study, questionaires, church meetings etc.. to see if the support was there to attempt a new club, then any club set up would have to be cross community not exclusively protestant...!!!

Would Ardstraw not be aligned to Dregish?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

realredhandfan

The GAA is an established framework/ network /tapestry etc.  There are gaps in this tapestry.  My guess is that there is no desire in these areas for Gaelic sports.  If they cant do it in Derry city then they will not do it in the Shankill believe you me.  I reject Brennans analysis on the basis that it is targeteetd at the North and it dfocuses on sectarianism tghat I believe does not exist on the part of the GAA I know anyway.  My club team doe s not ask what faith you have or where you came from, and protestants have coached, played etc for our club in the past.  I believe statements from Brennan like this alude to a mindset changing GAA activites from within the top echelon.  The to do list was as follows: the police, the foreign games, the flag, the anthem, the clubs named after volunteers.
Where does it end.  Well it looks like we have accepted British presence on this island for the short to medium term at least.  With militant republicanism finished - accordingly with their objectives reached?   Is it not more important now than at any point in history that our peaceful GAA  maintains its founding fathers principles of all things Irish  when Irish people accept British Rule in Ireland its important we do not become as the series says a "little Britain."  There are plenty keeping British culture alive in the North, and plenty keeping Irish culture alive, so I would suggest that Brennan travels down to Cork and changes the name of proud clubs like na Piarsaigh because of the names republican links  before he makes statement that erode the Northern confidence in the GAA yet again.  I believe more than ever the GAA needs a Northern leader again. OI ask this question as our esteemed president makes another gaffe.  Who does the GAA threaten?. If no one why change it? The GAA accomodates all.  Setting up exclusive clubs based on religion is the worst single speak Ive ever heard from an Irish man never mind a GAA president.  Resign sir you are bringing the very thing you stood to protect into disrepute.     
BTW this is spoken as someone who bemoans the fact that more protestants do not involve themselves in the sports of their soil, anf foreign nationals, I make no distinction in anyone colour or creed, and to avoid being called a dinosaur.  I hope they play GSTQ to no booing from the rugby ones whatseover.  it simply dosent matter to me yet Im probably deemed hardline.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Sorry, it's pure bollix to ask Protestants to consider setting up their own clubs simply because they may not feel welcome joining existing, established clubs. Talk about reinforcing themmums and us-uns.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Goats Do Shave

Just out of curiosity, if a person from the Shankill was interested in partaking in GAA sports, what would his local club be?

How far away is it?

Onlooker

Nickey Brennan's suggestion that Protestants should set up their own GAA clubs is clearly a nonsense idea.   By all means encourage people of all faiths or none to play hurling or football, but forming Protestant clubs is certainly not the answer.   If any Protestant wants to play hurling or football, there is bound to be a club nearby that will be very happy to welcome him.  As realredhandfan says, if we can't get people to play our games, in any numbers, in Derry city, how will we get teams from the Shankill.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on February 23, 2007, 11:00:16 AM
I agree Gweedore, the actual use of the statement of 'Protestant' clubs is ridiculous. I'm not part of a Catholic club, albeit the majority of members are Catholics. I would however be against any moves whereby our culture was diluted.
I think ye are all misunderstanding him, he's trying to say that it would be good if areas like the shankill had their own local gaa club, vast areas of NI have no club, given that the gaa is based on the community principle, surely it would make more sense if the whole of a local community could get behind their team rather than have 3 or 4 of the locals skulk off to play with the taigs down the road?
Whilst you are right Mac that clubs are not 'catholic' or 'protestant' it doesn't mean they're not damned intimidating for prods to go to, in an ideal world your approach would make the most sense, but if we were actually interested in spreading our culture should we not embrace ideas such as this, or should we just try and get eastern europeans and chinese playing whilst neglecting our brethern?
Anyway, all that aside (and leaving aside the fact that this is extremely unlikely to happen in my lifetime, nott much longer if Gweedore gets his hands on me :o), Brennan was probably asked a leading question by some journo, and answered without thinking about how touchy some people can be on hearing the 'p' word.
They're our games lets keep them catholic and republican eh?

Tony Fearon

Is Brennan's ridiculous idea not just symptomatic of the general ignorance of the six counties by those who reside in the 26, that the two rtribes cant get on etc. Believe it or not my club in Portadown has protestant members. I know of other protestants who joined GAA clubs in Armagh and were intimidated by unionist paramilitaries to the extent  that they had to leave.

I have met many protestants at Armagh games in Croke Park who already take an interest. Brennan should be encouraging liberal protestants to join existing clubs (as many have already done) and not set up "protestant clubs"

Also there's no point in pandering to the extremist bigots (OO, OWC, DUP) who gratuitously hate all things Irish and that are perceived by them to be catholic

stpauls

there are one or two Protestants playing for us at St. Pauls. they are treated as just another member of the team, and join in the craic and banter like everyone else, and if anything, are more than capable of taking a bit of stick about it, and giving it back of course!!!

Hardy

Did you notice anything strange in the dressingrooms or showers? I presume they have club feet or something?