Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I've a Shield which I love but still have a Firestick on the go for portability. I'd get it hard to recommend a Shield over a Firestick at the prices £150 Vs £30 unless ur gonna give it some serious use?

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on November 04, 2020, 02:42:22 PM
I've a Shield which I love but still have a Firestick on the go for portability. I'd get it hard to recommend a Shield over a Firestick at the prices £150 Vs £30 unless ur gonna give it some serious use?

Some people dont care about the cost. If cost is your main consideration go with the Firestick for sure.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 02:54:14 PM

Some people dont care about the cost. If cost is your main consideration go with the Firestick for sure.

If cost is no consideration, then go with Sky, BT Sport, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and Disney+....

The firestick which is currently on sale at £30 is more that capable and excellent value. The Shield is a great piece of kit but as boycey says, you mightn't be getting value out of it if you don't use it for other things.

Boycey

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 04, 2020, 03:14:34 PM

If cost is no consideration, then go with Sky, BT Sport, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and Disney+....

The firestick which is currently on sale at £30 is more that capable and excellent value. The Shield is a great piece of kit but as boycey says, you mightn't be getting value out of it if you don't use it for other things.

My point exactly JD, Amazon were flogging the 4k ones for £30 last weekend and I'm sure will be again in the run up to Black Friday... You couldn't beat that with a big stick!!!

Main Street

Quote from: Boycey on November 04, 2020, 03:29:53 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on November 04, 2020, 03:14:34 PM

My point exactly JD, Amazon were flogging the 4k ones for £30 last weekend and I'm sure will be again in the run up to Black Friday... You couldn't beat that with a big stick!!!
I seriously doubt that the birthplace handicapped Itchy is a person who believes cost is no consideration.
The question I'd ask is why Itchy believes the Formuler Z8 is good value and gives  best performance vis-à-vis a firestick.

Itchy

Description of Formuler Z8 Android IPTV Set Top Box

Specifications:

Output Resolution: 4K (3840 x 2160)
CPU : Hisilicon Quad-core 64bit
GPU : Multi-core high-performance GPU
RAM: 2GB DDR4
Storage: 16GB eMMC
Operating System: Android 7
Networking:

2.4G / 5.0G Dual-band - Dual Antenna
Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000M
Decoder:

Video decoder : 4K@60fps),VP9,H.265(HEVC) , AVS , H.264(AVC, MVC) , Real , MPEG1/2/4 , VC-1
Video Format : TS , MKV , FLV , MOV , AVI , RM , MP4
Audio Format : MPEG-1 Layer 1,2 , AAC-LC , HE AAC V1/V2
Image decoder : JPG , BMP , GIF , PNG
Support Language : Global
Dimensions:

Length: 105mm
Width: 105mm
Thickness: 22mm (Install Antenna 121mm)
Color: Black
Ports:

USB2.0 : 1
USB3.0 : 1
Power Interface : 1
IR Extension : 1
S/PDIF : 1
HDMI2.0a (CEC) : 1
Gigabit LAN : 1
Dual-Band Antenna : 1
Power Input:
Type : 12V Adapter
Power Consumption : Max. 15W
Standby Power : Max. 0.5W (Ultra low power)

Amazon Firestick

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-stick.html

So basically, its more powerful, more RAM, more storage, is therefore future proofed. It has a great app called mytvonline2. So for you main street you will be able to watch Ray Galligans free over and over again with no disruption or freezing to your hearts content.

Main Street

That Galligan image is already frozen in my memory. But hey, no hard feelings  ;D

Is there a record to usb function on the Formuler Z8?   I have that on my more modest MAG 349 W3

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on November 04, 2020, 09:12:57 PM
That Galligan image is already frozen in my memory. But hey, no hard feelings  ;D

Is there a record to usb function on the Formuler Z8?   I have that on my more modest MAG 349 W3

Yes I think so, you can pause it on live tv too

Dar31

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 04, 2020, 09:12:57 PM

Yes I think so, you can pause it on live tv too

Yes you can with a usb just make sure to check the formuler forum as there is a dedicated topic  on how to format it for the formuler i have a z8 and  a firestick both are excellent as previously stated in earlier posts . I believe also a formuler alpha is about 80 pounds on amazon it would give you the access to the my tv online app  and the ability to record without it costing as much as the z8 obviously not the same spec still excellent though and pick up thr 4k for 30 pound best of both worlds one for at home and one for travel if thats ever allowed again  :)

Itchy

I use tivimate on nvidia shield. Awesome. I've two subs on it, tivimate loads both at same time and the shield is a beast.

Boycey

A Firestick can do that....

Itchy

Can do what, run tivimate? Yes I know that. It can run any android app.

Dar31

Yes tivimate is brillant i use it on my firestick each version just gets better and better well worth the  price imo. I recently started using m3u4u as well so you can take out any groups you dont need and make custom groups as you want put  your custom playlist on tivimate and its fantastic .

Itchy

Quote from: Dar31 on November 05, 2020, 09:41:05 PM
Yes tivimate is brillant i use it on my firestick each version just gets better and better well worth the  price imo. I recently started using m3u4u as well so you can take out any groups you dont need and make custom groups as you want put  your custom playlist on tivimate and its fantastic .

Must check that  m3u4u app, sounds excellent.  Do you need a m3u script for it to work?

Dar31

No  the recommend using xtream codes they have a discord as well and a full  how to guide some providers dont allow you use m3u4u tho . Any questions just ask happy to help its also free so its great once you are finished editing your playlist and epg download or copy down the new url and epg load it up and sorted .  https://wiki.m3u4u.com  thats the wiki page for it