Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwater2

Its madness, my own club had to withdraw from the competition over it. Then not allowed to amalgamate to give the remaining lads football.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 14, 2019, 12:13:20 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 14, 2019, 08:48:15 AM
seen the new rule change yesterday at U21 level in action. we were down in Aghagallon with the 21's and they had a player black carded. off he went and no one went on.

we said to the lads 'here you know that wasnt a red and you can bring on a player' to which they said they cant cause the the subs were all first year minors and they only had 15 players.

thats total nonsense of a rule change esp when you have 4 lads sitting there and clubs struggling with nos.

decent game between ourselves and some good scores taken. happy with our performance as it was the first time we had met up since the county final last year lol

Why were they even togged out then

Truthfully, to make things look good and help in the warm up.

ive total sympathy for them as its a silly rule
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Ive never heard anyone ever say Justy Mick or Tomas were not county standard. Youre stating the obvious there DK. But if they gave 9 months to Antrim from Nov onwards they might not have the freshness they have atm. County football a big commitment, those boys know that....question is...have they got the hunger for it still? Thats the real question!

LD will be kicking themselves when they review the replay. PC looked a banker to score a goal but looked to have too much time on his hands and scuffed his effort. The one man you would have put the house on. Another 3 points were missed due to a superb near post save by John Mc Nabb...but go onto Antrim twitter feed now and see that Rice should have tossed the ball across the square to an unmarked Mc Crudden for a tap in. Theres 6 points just there that made a significant difference.

DK is right when he says Cargins bench (greater strength in depth) got them over the line. Kevin Mc Shane, Pat Shivers, Ciaran Close all played important roles when introduced. Now that football is enjoying a revival of sorts it would be good if Cargin can get through a couple of rounds in the Ulster Championship and show that Antrim Football is not as far away as some people think.

imtommygunn

BS and you are forgetting to mention two stinker goals which should never have been conceded!

Yeah Cargin had a much better bench. Close has still got it.Shivers was on from the start BS lol.(I suspect you just mean from the first game to the second mind..)

bannside

Exactly ITG when things like this happen you just know its not going to be your day. 12 point turnaround right there. Credit to Cargin though, three top trophys for their dinner dance...its their year again, without question.

imtommygunn

Cargin had always a good outlet at FF for high balls in - between Magill who's still a handful and Shivers who looks like he could be very good.

LD struggled past the 45 or so till they put Murray in. While he was great he's not an outlet for the high balls the way Magill etc is.

I thought Tomas McCann took the game by the scruff of the neck and really was the catalyst for Cargin winning.

bannside

Cargin kept their composure throughout and in Michael Magill a matchwinner on the edge of the square. Thought Ciaran Bradley picked him out really well for his second goal. Cargin should be nicely battle hardened for their tie with Derrygonnelly.

imtommygunn

I think Derrygonnelly are handy enough so I think they are in for a battle.

The Gs Man

seen the new rule change yesterday at U21 level in action. we were down in Aghagallon with the 21's and they had a player black carded. off he went and no one went on.

we said to the lads 'here you know that wasnt a red and you can bring on a player' to which they said they cant cause the the subs were all first year minors and they only had 15 players.

thats total nonsense of a rule change esp when you have 4 lads sitting there and clubs struggling with nos.

decent game between ourselves and some good scores taken. happy with our performance as it was the first time we had met up since the county final last year lol

Decent game in wet conditions.  Dunloy worthy of the win.  Although I thought you might have blew it first half.  You had all the posession but didn't do much with it going forward.  We played poorly but I thought we'd come out second half and go a bit more direct.  Didn't happen.

Dunloy far more clinical up front 2nd half and deservedly got their goals to win it.

Black card issue happened at a bad time for us too.

Keep 'er lit

Spike

Quote from: bannside on October 14, 2019, 03:41:38 PM
Exactly ITG when things like this happen you just know its not going to be your day. 12 point turnaround right there. Credit to Cargin though, three top trophys for their dinner dance...its their year again, without question.

Lol BS, i hope you're not suggesting that LD should have won by 10 points on saturday and begrudging Cargin their victory??  Ifs, buts and maybes.  Teams react to different scenarios - LD could have been cagier if they hadn't conceded a goal early and needed to be brave following that.  Cargin may have chased harder if they were a few points down - like in extra time where they didn't panic, played the better football, and got the win.  Thats competition and thats life, ebbs and flows, action and reaction.  Two good sides who will provide an interesting battle next year. 

Ulster, as always, will be a gauge of Antrim football standards.  As a well travelled man BS, how much do you know about Derrygonnelly's strengths and weaknesses? 

Dunsilly King

Spike BS is blinded by his desire for Casemenst to do well. In his head he rationalises that LD could have won by that margin so he can convince himself and Casements players they could have won that championship this year or even next. The absence of logic in many of his posts is obvious, but I do love his optimism. I prefer people who see the glass half full to half empty.  ;) ;D

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: The Gs Man on October 15, 2019, 08:39:21 AM

Decent game in wet conditions.  Dunloy worthy of the win.  Although I thought you might have blew it first half.  You had all the posession but didn't do much with it going forward.  We played poorly but I thought we'd come out second half and go a bit more direct.  Didn't happen.

Dunloy far more clinical up front 2nd half and deservedly got their goals to win it.

Black card issue happened at a bad time for us too.

Whos the no 11 for yourselves? very good footballer. A lot seemed to go through him.

the lad in the corner, no.15 i think he was, hit a peace of a score towards the end of the game as well.

That new rule this year has killed a lot teams this season and i heard some teams played 17 year olds at the weekend without knowing this.
hurl like f**k boi!

takeyourpoint

Its not a new rule. Its been like this for years.

takeyourpoint

Ask your club Secretary. This rule has been about for donkeys. Maybe some clubs are only now adhering to this.

BigBallWeeBall

Posts about u21 are disheartening re the inconsistencies about playing first year minors. From previous posts some clubs found it difficult to field more than 15 and others have not entered a team. Brollys recent article about drop out rates should sound alarm bells at this level.
No doubt those clubs that played ineligible young lads will be booted out of the competition as well.