The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 16, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
can someone get this fella Rory's autograph

you havent a effin clue

if you talk to anyone involved competitive amateur golf from 10 years ago esp from outside the north, they will tell you about the charming Gerry McIlroy and his equally affable bankroller / son.

acts like marking an opponents ball with L before a round to signify he was a loser and plenty of classy acts like it.

running charitable foundations to avoid tax does plenty of good but it wont buy class

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orchard park on April 16, 2018, 04:30:14 PM

you havent a effin clue

if you talk to anyone involved competitive amateur golf from 10 years ago esp from outside the north, they will tell you about the charming Gerry McIlroy and his equally affable bankroller / son.

acts like marking an opponents ball with L before a round to signify he was a loser
and plenty of classy acts like it.

running charitable foundations to avoid tax does plenty of good but it wont buy class

You play a bitta GAA? The opponents telling you to look at the scoreboard when they are stuffing you would fall into that bracket
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orchard park

most places i played we were lucky to have a marked pitch and stable goals much less scoreboards.......

Therealdonald

Cant understand howour wee Rors is still compared to Tiger. Nowhere near his ability or drive. To be fair both are dicks, but Tiger is a more talented dick.

screenexile

Quote from: Therealdonald on April 16, 2018, 04:51:21 PM
Cant understand howour wee Rors is still compared to Tiger. Nowhere near his ability or drive. To be fair both are dicks, but Tiger is a more talented dick.

Is anybody comparing them anymore? I don't think there is really any question about the fact Tiger is way better. Having said that he has 14 years on him so Rory has a bit of time to win more but I don' think we'll say anything like Tiger again.

Orior

Quote from: Orchard park on April 16, 2018, 02:37:39 PM
but "hate" which is a much over used inaccurate term is generally towards people they dont know/ never met / watch on TV.

dont know how someone can hate a golfer for playing slow.... can see how they wouldnt rate somebody if they are a cnut towards a fellow golfer

hate is not a term I would use, and conjures up acts such as stalking and name calling. Dislike is more acceptable. So in a head to head, with Spieth I'd prefer the other guy to win, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2018, 04:52:55 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on April 16, 2018, 04:51:21 PM

Is anybody comparing them anymore? I don't think there is really any question about the fact Tiger is way better. Having said that he has 14 years on him so Rory has a bit of time to win more but I don' think we'll say anything like Tiger again.

I think people forget just how good Woods was, 14 majors yes but 79 tournament wins and a stat I only came across a couple of years ago. He went 7 years without missing a cut, ridiculous..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Taylor

Can't compare them.

Rory is a superb golfer but tiger was phenomenal. If memory serves me right he used to be as short as 3/1 to win golf tournaments. And this with a field of 160 players. Mental

Puckoon

you havent a effin clue

acts like marking an opponents ball with L before a round to signify he was a loser and plenty of classy acts like it.

I'd like to hear more about this. You don't generally have any reason to touch your opponents golf ball - much less take a Sharpie out and write something on it.

Minder

Quote from: Taylor on April 16, 2018, 07:09:44 PM
Can't compare them.

Rory is a superb golfer but tiger was phenomenal. If memory serves me right he used to be as short as 3/1 to win golf tournaments. And this with a field of 160 players. Mental

He was much lower than that, I backed him in the Masters, 2005 or 2006 & he was 6/4. Which I think was a record - he didn't win !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trailer

you havent a effin clue

How can you mark an opponents ball? This is bullshit.

Taylor

Quote from: Minder on April 16, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
Can't compare them.

He was much lower than that, I backed him in the Masters, 2005 or 2006 & he was 6/4. Which I think was a record - he didn't win !

Gees. Didnt think he was this short. Shows the difference between the two players though

HiMucker

Quote from: Minder on April 16, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
Can't compare them.

Yeah. I also remember one year at the start of The Open, the rest of the field was 9/4.  Tiger won it!

Orchard park

Quote from: trailer on April 17, 2018, 08:23:19 AM

you havent a effin clue

How can you mark an opponents ball? This is bullshit.

far from bullshit but all in past. i'm sure Rory is now a wonderful representative of his people

thewobbler

I'm going to guess that once upon a time, a teenage McIlroy picked up one of his opponent's practice balls when they were chatting and joking on the practice green, and wrote "loser" on it. Which is normal behaviour for a teenage boy.

But hi this is the Internet, and stories without context are more clickable and shareable.