El Classico - Breffni Park, Saturday 18th

Started by Itchy, May 14, 2019, 09:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on October 31, 2020, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on October 31, 2020, 05:59:32 PM
Yeah but last year Monaghan missing both Hughes Kearns Mc Carthy and others. Banty had full deck and players had got their first test in a long time over the winter . Cavan were team missing the players this year

Was malachi not bet by a point by fermanagh in a semi one time?
He topped his Super 8 group and reached the All-Ireland semi-final the same year

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on October 31, 2020, 06:24:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 31, 2020, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on October 31, 2020, 05:59:32 PM
Yeah but last year Monaghan missing both Hughes Kearns Mc Carthy and others. Banty had full deck and players had got their first test in a long time over the winter . Cavan were team missing the players this year

Was malachi not bet by a point by fermanagh in a semi one time?
He topped his Super 8 group and reached the All-Ireland semi-final the same year

Well the Banty didn't have a safety net this year in fairness.

Duckquay

Rest assured, had monaghan won ulster this year it would have been conor lavery and peter donnelly getting the kudos. They shouldn't be immune from the criticism that Monaghan will deservedly get.

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2020, 04:09:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2020, 04:01:37 PM
It's easy to say now Banty was the wrong choice after failing miserably at the first hurdle but apparantly it was the senior players who made the persuasive arguments at the time. O'Rourke's last year was dreadful, even more so than this year, perhaps he just escaped in time.
Easy to say now but it was even being said when he was being considered.

Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2019, 02:24:44 PM
Surely it would be a backward step for Monaghan to appoint Banty?
He has proven with a number of counties that he's not great.
But you don't count. There were persuasive forces in the county who thought Banty would be the man to pick up the pieces after that awful last year with O'Rourke. Meath were a basket case and Banty had some form with the Monaghan minors.  I was doubtful just like many other distant observers but there was a decent looking backroom. Now it's easy to say he was the wrong choice, time and place.
Banty was grand for Monaghan 12 or 13 years ago

He's old school, he got them organised and motivated the hell out of them and that's grand for getting to a certain level but tactically he couldn't cut it against the big boys - that was shown once and for all in the 2010 Ulster final when what was by then a fading Tyrone team completely dismantled Monaghan tactically

Malachy O'Rourke was on a different level altogether - he gets and understands the modern game and modern players

Banty had already passed his sell by date 10 years ago so I don't know why people thought he would cut it now with what is by now very much a fading Monaghan team

Rossfan

I knew Cavan were a good team... sure they ran our B team to 2 points last week.
A good win for them and serves Monaghan right for all the defensive sh1te after half time. That was the time to try and finish Cavan off.
I presume Banty will now shuffle off to join the othe failed spoofer managers in the retirement lounge.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Well done Cavan.

On a side note, it was good to see an O'Hanlon on the Monaghan side. Many years ago, O'Hanlons were chieftains of the Orior.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on October 31, 2020, 06:55:05 PM
Well done Cavan.

On a side note, it was good to see an O'Hanlon on the Monaghan side. Many years ago, O'Hanlons were chieftains of the Orior.

Tories, the whole lot of them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smokin Joe

I seen some comments about the ref blowing up the game short.

The clock on Sky Sports was stopped for the water break, whereas the 5 minutes that was announced included the stoppage for the water break; that is why it looked like it was blown up short but this happens regularly in this time of Water Breaks.

marty34

Is the lad from Kilcoo still with Monaghan or did Donnelly replace him?

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2020, 06:48:45 PM
I knew Cavan were a good team... sure they ran our B team to 2 points last week.
A good win for them and serves Monaghan right for all the defensive sh1te after half time. That was the time to try and finish Cavan off.
I presume Banty will now shuffle off to join the othe failed spoofer managers in the retirement lounge.
Banty won't just shuffle off, he'll have to be booted out.

Rossfan

We have a bit of recent  experience in dumping spoofers if ye want any help ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

Laverty from Kilcoo along the line with Banty. No experience at senior level. Managed Kilcoo under 16s and minors. Lack of big game experience to call on along the line maybe cost Banty. The were lost along that line

Main Street

Quote from: sid waddell on October 31, 2020, 06:38:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2020, 04:09:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2020, 04:01:37 PM
It's easy to say now Banty was the wrong choice after failing miserably at the first hurdle but apparantly it was the senior players who made the persuasive arguments at the time. O'Rourke's last year was dreadful, even more so than this year, perhaps he just escaped in time.
Easy to say now but it was even being said when he was being considered.

Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2019, 02:24:44 PM
Surely it would be a backward step for Monaghan to appoint Banty?
He has proven with a number of counties that he's not great.
But you don't count. There were persuasive forces in the county who thought Banty would be the man to pick up the pieces after that awful last year with O'Rourke. Meath were a basket case and Banty had some form with the Monaghan minors.  I was doubtful just like many other distant observers but there was a decent looking backroom. Now it's easy to say he was the wrong choice, time and place.
Banty was grand for Monaghan 12 or 13 years ago

He's old school, he got them organised and motivated the hell out of them and that's grand for getting to a certain level but tactically he couldn't cut it against the big boys - that was shown once and for all in the 2010 Ulster final when what was by then a fading Tyrone team completely dismantled Monaghan tactically

Malachy O'Rourke was on a different level altogether - he gets and understands the modern game and modern players

Banty had already passed his sell by date 10 years ago so I don't know why people thought he would cut it now with what is by now very much a fading Monaghan team

O'Rourke  blew hot and cold. His last year was worse than Banty at his worst.  Another year we lost out to Longford who were deserving winners in Clones.
And always losing out to Tyrone in Croke Park,  3-0 with just one close game which might have gone to a replay. Twice  he used the same brainless tactics, pass across midfield ad nauseum, then eventually run into contact, get ambushed, raped and dispossesed.
O'Rourke's last season was so bad that even a tactically spartan Banty looked a bit decent as a replacement

redzone

Yip it's the managers fault even thou the reality is that stupid shot selection in the first half undone them. Manszy carried monaghan for along time and now he's in decline I can't see them reaching the heights they did. Cavan didn't even deserve to win but they will take it.

Zulu

Whether Banty was the right man or not, today's second half tactics, where Monaghan basically tried to see out the game from minute one, were an abomination. Granted, Cavan sat back in the first period of the second half, which was daft too, but Monaghan never tried to kick on at all. You'd wonder if modern managements are overthinking football sometimes.