Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 25, 2019, 10:40:39 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 25, 2019, 07:26:30 AM
Ah Jesus. At this point I just want this sorry WA agreement stuff to be done with. Extending it for 2 months is hardly going to change anything, will it?

Are there not European elections due in and around that time frame?
Yeah

The ERG/DUP don't want the elections because they are afraid of the results
The EU is going to ask for a longer delay.
They can't get any sort of coherence out of the tories with the current numbers
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Remain is an easier sell than Rejoin. If the UK does leave on March 29th, that's it. Goodnight Vienna.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
Remain is an easier sell than Rejoin. If the UK does leave on March 29th, that's it. Goodnight Vienna.
Nothing decided now is permanent because we haven't had the huge economic crash to finish neoliberalism off yet

seafoid

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose

https://www.ft.com/content/9c3b0304-36c8-11e9-bb0c-42459962a812

Britain faces harsh truths about post-Brexit trade

The UK will be less rather than more open after it leaves the EU

The editorial board

Partners beyond Europe will be willing to negotiate detailed trade deals only when they see the shape of Britain's future relationship with the EU © Reuters

The editorial board

Free trade promotes prosperity. But free trade deals produce losers as well as winners. They are often unpopular with electorates. Such agreements typically take years to negotiate. Opening up markets can require layers of new regulation in order to align national rules. It is nearly half a century since Britain last negotiated its own trading arrangements.Such complexities, and the absence of experienced trade negotiators, have never much troubled Britain's Brexiters. Once the UK cast off the shackles of the EU, they declared, fast-growing economies from around the world would join a queue to strike bilateral trade deals. As for the economic relationship with the EU27, leading cabinet Brexiter Michael Gove promised that Britain would hold "all the cards".All the evidence since the 2016 referendum has been in the opposite direction. Leaving the single market by definition is a big step in the direction of protectionism. Were Britain to fall out in a chaotic Brexit, it would lose not just privileged access to its most important market but also to the more than 60 third countries covered by special arrangements with the EU.Brussels has been expanding these preferential deals. The recent EU pact with Canada has been followed by the conclusion of an accord with Japan. Some of these countries have expressed interest in signing agreements with the UK. But thus far the government has succeeded in negotiating nothing more than a set of contingency arrangements with Switzerland and a handful of other nations. This is scarcely a trade policy.Partners beyond Europe will be willing to negotiate detailed trade deals only when they see the shape of Britain's future relationship with the EU. Japan has also made public what to non-Brexiters always seemed obvious. As a smaller market than the EU27, Britain cannot expect to win concessions comparable to those secured by Brussels. This is not just a question of tariffs.

The US has indicated that it would expect post-Brexit Britain to soften EU rules on food standards. US officials want access for American producers of "chlorinated" chicken and hormone-treated beef. The domestic politics will be just as tough. The government will face unpopular choices it has avoided since joining the EU. As the minister responsible for the environment and agriculture, Mr Gove is now discovering this for himself. Mr Gove has taken the side of the farm lobby in an angry dispute within the cabinet about future tariffs on agricultural products. The UK Treasury wants to open the doors to the cheaper food on world markets. Farmers want to keep EU-style subsidies. The US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada want better access to the UK food market as part of any eventual trade deals. The hope is that common sense and the interests of consumers eventually prevail over those of the farmers' lobby. But this will be only the first such collision. There will be trade-offs between manufacturing and agriculture, and manufacturing and services. There will also be awkward choices within each sector. Many trading partners want more liberal immigration rules for their citizens in return for offering better terms for UK business.On its present trajectory, the Britain emerging from this process will be significantly less, not more, open to the world — losing market access in Europe and striking trade deals elsewhere less favourable than it now enjoys. The nation will be poorer as a consequence. The Brexiters' promise of an open, dynamic "global Britain" already has a distinctly hollow ring. But then this is only one of many broken pledges.

omaghjoe

I find seafoids relentless copy and paste irritating. And must admit to finding it pretty ironic that a poster is praised for spamming the board in such an unoriginal way while offering precious little insight from his own opinion which usually  consists of " brexit is insane " or some other variation, which only the most deluded or secluded dont concur with anyway.

yellowcard

Big move by Labour in supporting a second vote and if it so transpires we could well be heading for a general election.

omaghjoe

Corbyn looks like he is finally bowing to pressure and is commiting to a 2nd referendum... it will be interesting to see how polls react to that.

RedHand88

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 25, 2019, 06:13:35 PM
I find seafoids relentless copy and paste irritating. And must admit to finding it pretty ironic that a poster is praised for spamming the board in such an unoriginal way while offering precious little insight from his own opinion which usually  consists of " brexit is insane " or some other variation, which only the most deluded or secluded concur with anyway.

I had a chuckle at "All Europe senior hurling championship".

screenexile

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 25, 2019, 06:38:17 PM
Corbyn looks like he is finally bowing to pressure and is commiting to a 2nd referendum... it will be interesting to see how polls react to that.

It's a ploy it'll never pass so he's United the the pro EU lobby in the party then when it gets defeated he gets his Brexit and can pretend he wanted to remain all along but went with the will of the people.

Then election... smart enough!

weareros

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 25, 2019, 06:38:17 PM

In doing so potentially helps May because the Tory hardliners will see their Brexit dream potentially disappearing for ever in a new referendum, so might decide any Brexit is better than no Brexit and opt to weight in behind May's Brexit deal.

RadioGAAGAA

Unlikely. There are enough Tories that think its a bad idea - and would want to absolve themselves of responsibility by putting it back to the people.
i usse an speelchekor

omochain

I find seafoids relentless copy and paste irritating. And must admit to finding it pretty ironic that a poster is praised for spamming the board in such an unoriginal way while offering precious little insight from his own opinion which usually  consists of " brexit is insane " or some other variation, which only the most deluded or secluded dont concur with anyway.

I think the stuff that Seafoid posts is informative and his lack of "bloviating" only makes his contribution more meaningful.

Orior

The problem with a second referendum is that some idiots actually blame Europe for stopping Brexit. Bizarrely, they believe the Little Englanders who think should have rolled over and given them everything they asked for.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Objectionable as some of his posts are and can be, he offers an exponential amount more considered, reasoned opinion than any of the half baked, ill-informed and willfully ignorant shite you ever post.

trailer

I agree. It ruins thread and kills debate. I don't read any of it.